RAM 2500 Custom Overland Build, RTT Rack, Aux Batt, Transfer Tank, Sliders & Other Stuff!

• HTML tutorial

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Today I was able to get the window sections bent up and welded. I also finish welded the upper horizontal bars to the rear bar. Also shot some paint on it for the week so it won't rust.

These are the lower supports for the window sections....

And as it sits tonight...

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

This deal is looking really sharp! Pickup is very sharp!! Can wait to see what else surfaces with it. Window guards will look neat!!

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
This deal is looking really sharp! Pickup is very sharp!! Can wait to see what else surfaces with it. Window guards will look neat!!
Thanks! I try to take care of her.

"window gaurds" , like the air deflector things....?

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Over the last couple weeks I was also able to finally get my Switch-pro installed.

Found a nice little spot under the hood....

And as many of you know, there is not a real good spot inside for the switch panel. I am also tired of having a bunch of randomly placed suction cup mounts. So I fabbed a panel for my stuff....

And the final product....

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Thanks! I try to take care of her.

"window gaurds" , like the air deflector things....?
I misread the window deals you made. They are going on the side of bed rack? At first glance was thinking they were going up on the head ache rack to protect the back window but looked again and I figured out what you were talking about. The ram 1500 I had was the blacked out 2017 model. Love black on a pickup! The air deflectors on the head ache rack is cool.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Over the last couple weeks I was also able to finally get my Switch-pro installed.

Found a nice little spot under the hood....
View attachment 106866

And as many of you know, there is not a real good spot inside for the switch panel. I am also tired of having a bunch of randomly placed suction cup mounts. So I fabbed a panel for my stuff....
View attachment 106867

View attachment 106868

View attachment 106869

And the final product....
View attachment 106870
Thats cool as well! I had the switch bank from AEV on mine. Fits just like yours. Very ocd about clutter on my dash so it was nice to have it in one spotIMG_5718.JPG

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I ordered a set of the Maxsa Traction boards and they arrived today. When I made the rack "windows" I planed to mount the traction boards in the opening. Because I am a little impatient I built them before the boards arrived. I am glad they fit.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Well, I finally committed.....I pulled the pin on a CVT Hard Shell Mt. Saint Helens. I am so stoked to get this rack done so I can take a trip to Bend to pick it up at the CVT Shop.
There is not a lot of information published the interwebs. In fact, it not even on their website. I bought the electric version. I picked this tent for the load bars on the top. I want to be able to travel with my Kevlar canoe and fat bike.

Does any body happen to own one of these that have produced in the last 6 months? I would love to see it, and hear about it.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Bad ass man! Id prefer the hard shell if i ever buy one. Seems theyd be a better investment?
Man, I have been going back and forth for months on which tent I wanted to go with. I really, REALLY, wanted to be able to haul my canoe and bike. This really narrowed the options. I didn't even know cvt was an option because their website didn't list a hard shell. Then I found a guy on CL that was selling one.....whaaaaat....so started the conversation with @cvt.
I am a pretty particular person. I love building unique things, and, it has to look good. I would never be able to run a soft tent just because of the blocky look. I also like the fast setup of the hardships.
I was woohoo close to buying an ikamper. I really love the design and space. But, will not take a load! #ikamper should really consider this on their gen 3 tents!

Last edited:

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I know ikamper has load bars on top of the hard top but still has a soft center... they make a hard top. Saw a guy that prototype tests for them.. but it still a folding tent. True hard top like what you bought i feel is the way to go for that. Super fast! Saw a tepui hard shell and was like I want that. Looked sharp. The CVT tents are really nice! I wrecked my ram last fall fixed it and sold it this spring cus was having issues with it and haven’t replaced it yet but been getting a huge itch to get something fixed up again. Wanna go with an 5.9 diesel but finding one thats in decent shap is hard. Or gonna go with a 4 door wrangler.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Very nice! Keeps looking sharp!! What do you have for a lift and tires?
Leveled in the front, airbags with 8 psi when not hauling. To yo MTRs 285/75-18, bassicly 35×11.50's. Can't go real big cause I do pull a smallish travel trailer, and occasionally my backhoe that sits at about 17k with the trailer. I want to run 37's but would have to regear. Not sure I want to make that investment.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

The 37s are the 295s? I was gonna do the 285 75 17 on the hemi Looked at a 03 cummins this weekend that was leveled and had the toyo 285 75 18s on it. Sat perfectly.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I like the narrow 11.5. Seems like the 11.50 has always ran better on the rigs i had them on compared to the 12.5
I agree. If I were on sand and needed the flotation I would run the 12.50s but I am not. I actually feel like the 11.50s are able to get down to the hard stuff better.

twiget

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

On the Road
Member #

Loving the build so far. Not going to lie, I'm kind of jealous of those of you who have the shop space for a project like this and can weld. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the process.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I agree. If I were on sand and needed the flotation I would run the 12.50s but I am not. I actually feel like the 11.50s are able to get down to the hard stuff better.
That and the snow! Living in Colorado mud and snow is huge. The wider the tire the more it becomes a snow push. The 11.50 is still narrow enough to cut through the snow.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Yes I can
Loving the build so far. Not going to lie, I'm kind of jealous of those of you who have the shop space for a project like this and can weld. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the process.
Thanks @twiget Yes I can weld, but as far as the shop......well.....I would like one of those too.
I have a 25 x 28 garage with my kids project truck in half of it. Essentially I have my driveway and a 8x10 spot in the garage.
I guess the point is....you don't need a lot to do a lot. It's never too late to learn to weld. Look for classes a a community college, or watch YouTube. I have always chose to buy the tool and learn how to use it then to pay for some other guy to do it for 5 times the cost or greater.