Launch Member

Member I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Wolfson
Member #

I just purchased a refill valve on Amazon for about $11 to refill the little green ones. I like the form factor, but hated the thought of disposing of so many. So now I will refill them at home using the tank attached to my grill and never have to toss another empty small green tank away. No need to buy a new tank or a tank bracket! I'll keep you posted on how it works after I get it.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I guess the 11 lb tank isn't that bad of a deal, still cheaper than two 5 lb tanks and hold one pound more!
I'm only sticking to my 20# bottles because I have two of them already and I have plenty of storage space on my big roof rack. Still I would like to buy the devise that lets me refill the 1# bottles from the 20# bottle just because they are so easy yo use !

Reactions: Wallygator

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I just got the little 5lb’r today. It’s cute lol.
When you consider how long they last $40 bucks is nothing. The reason I like the 20# bottles is that if you have a valve malfunction you can trade your bottle at any Walgreens and get a new bottle filled for $20. Or you can buy a bottle filled for $40 bucks if you dont have one. You cant do that with a 5# or 10# bottle.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
When you consider how long they last $40 bucks is nothing. The reason I like the 20# bottles is that if you have a valve malfunction you can trade your bottle at any Walgreens and get a new bottle filled for $20. Or you can buy a bottle filled for $40 bucks if you dont have one. You cant do that with a 5# or 10# bottle.
True. Have a couple of #20lb’rs and it’s so easy to do a propane exchange. Now I’ll have to plan in advance and get’r filled up at a propane station a little further away.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
I just purchased a refill valve on Amazon for about $11 to refill the little green ones. I like the form factor, but hated the thought of disposing of so many. So now I will refill them at home using the tank attached to my grill and never have to toss another empty small green tank away. No need to buy a new tank or a tank bracket! I'll keep you posted on how it works after I get it.
A friend taught me that if I put the little green tank in the fridge for 10-15 minutes before filling it from the bigger tank, it will take in more propane. It will also take in more if you turn the filler tank upside down, allowing more of the liquid propane to transfer. You can even feel how much heavier they are after you fill them like this VS not doing it. I've been doing this for years now and it works great.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
A friend taught me that if I put the little green tank in the fridge for 10-15 minutes before filling it from the bigger tank, it will take in more propane. It will also take in more if you turn the filler tank upside down, allowing more of the liquid propane to transfer. You can even feel how much heavier they are after you fill them like this VS not doing it. I've been doing this for years now and it works great.
I tried this yesterday. I had 12 to refill. Before starting I left 4 outside at 55F, put 4 in the beer fridge for half an hour, and 4 in the chest freezer for 45 minutes. I also weighed the groups of 4 before and after. The results were interesting. Both the ambient temp and refrigerated bottled gained 2.5 lbs for the group of 4, so about .62# for each bottle. The frig made no difference. The group that had been in the freezer gained 3.2lbs, or .8# per bottle, so much closer to being filled.

Tom110

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Wolfson
Member #

Wonderful tip. Thanks for posting this. I am going to give this a try. Valve comes today.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Really good tip, thx 4 passing it on. Amazon will be running out of these transfer valves !

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Really good tip, thx 4 passing it on. Amazon will be running out of these transfer valves !
Seems like most transfer values I've seen doing a quick search is transferring from 20lb to 1lb tank. Hardly anything already made from 20lb to 5lb without using multiple adapters.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Seems like most transfer values I've seen doing a quick search is transferring from 20lb to 1lb tank. Hardly anything already made from 20lb to 5lb without using multiple adapters.
I didn't consider that type of transfer but they make a single transfer adapter line to fill 5,10, 20 or 40 # tanks from anything larger than 100 gal tanks I'm told. I'll check that today and see if I can find the devise.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I didn't consider that type of transfer but they make a single transfer adapter line to fill 5,10, 20 or 40 # tanks from anything larger than 100 gal tanks I'm told. I'll check that today and see if I can find the devise.
Oh no worries. I need another gadget like I need a hole in my head lol.

Eder

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Eder
Last Name
Lores
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none
We went super classy with our propane setup. Regular blue rhino canister in a milk crate ratchet strapped to the inside of the bed rack :)
that's a great a idea, since i'm really new at this, i'll do that for starting traveling with a 20 lbs propane tank, a milk crate