Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
Propane tanks Expiration Date
Did you know that Propane tanks expire?

Federal law requires tank re-certification after 12 years from the original manufacture date. A coded date is stamped into the carrying handle of the tank. The tank expires at the end of the month of the date stamped. Propane dealers are required by law to refuse to re-fill an expired tank.

Check out the date stamp in one of my propane tanks:

propane3

The first 2 digits represent the month. In this example 06 is June. The last 2 digits represent the year of manufacture. In this example 2002. This tank expires the end of April 2014. You can no longer refill this tank. Needs to be re-certified or replaced.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
you should...and most places it's the law.
main reason for this is to make sure the 80% valve works. propane bottles can not be filled above 80%-you need expansion room for when the bottle gets warmer, or it will bleed off. not a big deal if the tank is outside, diff story if it's inside your truck or camper bleeding off.
if the bottle passes a visual inspection (not rusted, rings intact, etc) then they can be re-valved. around here it costs about $40-50 to re-valve a tank, not really worth doing a 20 lb'er when you can buy new cheaper, but for 40's, hundreds and bigger tanks, it is worth it.
that all being said, my barbie tank is about 15 yrs old and not re-done, it sits outside, unlike my camper tanks that are inside, i keep fairly new.
we use propane every single day at my work and have a bulk 1000 gal tank so i can re-fill my old bottles- most filling places are by law not allowed to fill an older, uncertified tank.
we also have to get a certified propane filling tag, and a TDG tag (transportation dangerous goods) as we regularly haul more than 5 100 pounder bottles in our trucks.
and it is almost impossible for a propane tank to explode....
That's good to know. If the propane co. won't fill mine I'll just trade them for new tanks at Walgreen exchange center for $20 filled. I've done it in the past for my BBQ grill and not had any problems.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Propane tanks Expiration Date
Did you know that Propane tanks expire?

Federal law requires tank re-certification after 12 years from the original manufacture date. A coded date is stamped into the carrying handle of the tank. The tank expires at the end of the month of the date stamped. Propane dealers are required by law to refuse to re-fill an expired tank.

Check out the date stamp in one of my propane tanks:

propane3

The first 2 digits represent the month. In this example 06 is June. The last 2 digits represent the year of manufacture. In this example 2002. This tank expires the end of April 2014. You can no longer refill this tank. Needs to be re-certified or replaced.
Uh oh, I'm in trouble. One tank is marked 4-97, the other is dated 3-98. It is stamped into the top that 12 years they must be inspected. The last time I filled them I was evidently within the expired date. I know it was a long time ago that I last had them filled. Man the years really fly when you get as old as me. Baah Humbug !!!

Reactions: Viking1204

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Beware of Blue Rhino tanks. They set them up and only fill them to the 15 lb level instead of the standard 20lb level. So you get 25% less gas. Even when you refill them elsewhere, it will vent at 15lbs from my experience. I grew up on a farm and have used propane/butane for 60 years.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Beware of Blue Rhino tanks. They set them up and only fill them to the 15 lb level instead of the standard 20lb level. So you get 25% less gas. Even when you refill them elsewhere, it will vent at 15lbs from my experience. I grew up on a farm and have used propane/butane for 60 years.
My propane supplier tells me no tank can be filled past 80%. I wonder how accurate these gauges are that can be bought everywhere. I want to get one just to have something on hand.

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
So I just received my Manchester 5# mini propane tank from Amazon......A day early I might add!

But it is already a year and 4 months into its expiration date. Ugh!

But I'm 68 years old tomorrow, might not even need to in 9 years!

IMG_20200209_124506046.jpg

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
So by purging you are just letting out anything that is in there ?
Fir mine it was done because the tank wouldn’t take any propane at first. If yours fill properly, then you’re probably good. I can’t say I understand how the valves and safety features in an OPD work.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I bought a 5lb propane cylinder, and modified a fire extinguisher holder to make it work as a mount (the mount is larger than a 10lb CO2 cylinder mount). I cut the top off the mount, and drilled out the spot welds on the straps and inside attachment pieces and remounted these pieces back to the bottom part with 1/4" bolts. And then bolted it to the side of my trailer. Seems like the fire extinguisher mount was $50-something. I put a small piece of padding on the base of the mount for the cylinder to rest on. You can adjust the tension on the strap to make it nice and snug.

Attachments

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I bought a 5lb propane cylinder, and modified a fire extinguisher holder to make it work as a mount (the mount is larger than a 10lb CO2 cylinder mount). I cut the top off the mount, and drilled out the spot welds on the straps and inside attachment pieces and remounted these pieces back to the bottom part with 1/4" bolts. And then bolted it to the side of my trailer. Seems like the fire extinguisher mount was $50-something. I put a small piece of padding on the base of the mount for the cylinder to rest on. You can adjust the tension on the strap to make it nice and snug.
I've been looking at doing the same. I can't justify $120 to hold a bottle I bought for $39.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Here's a link reviewing the Overland propane tank mount, and further on I come in and describe how I modified the fire extinguisher mount to work for my 5lb propane cylinder. Also includes links for purchasing one of these fire extinguisher mounts (or you can take the model number and see if you can purchase one locally).

And it really was just a cut/drill/bolt together affair; no welding involved.

Since the tank is mounted on the outside of my trailer, I wanted to get something to cover the valve and such to keep it clean. What I discovered was a "faucet sock" is inexpensive (about $8.00) and does the trick. It was even the right color!

Attachments

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Here's a link reviewing the Overland propane tank mount, and further on I come in and describe how I modified the fire extinguisher mount to work for my 5lb propane cylinder. Also includes links for purchasing one of these fire extinguisher mounts (or you can take the model number and see if you can purchase one locally).

And it really was just a cut/drill/bolt together affair; no welding involved.

Since the tank is mounted on the outside of my trailer, I wanted to get something to cover the valve and such to keep it clean. What I discovered was a "faucet sock" is inexpensive (about $8.00) and does the trick. It was even the right color!
Good idea, propane condoms. :-)

• Haha
Reactions: Sparksalot