Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Wow, I cant afford one like that but if I could it certainly makes sense. The advantage of my steel tank is that when it gets old enough I can make a tent stove out of it. Problem with that is they don't seem to wear out. I've had both my tanks for 30 years.
I have two tanks I can’t re-cert

Jim, you might look up how much a new steel tank is... they are quite comparable in price.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I have two tanks I can’t re-cert

Jim, you might look up how much a new steel tank is... they are quite comparable in price.
I cant say how much they are except @ Walgreens you can exchange your tank for a full tank for $20 or if you don't have a tank you can buy a full tank for $40.
That makes the cost of the new steel tank only $20.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I cant say how much they are except @ Walgreens you can exchange your tank for a full tank for $20 or if you don't have a tank you can buy a full tank for $40.
That makes the cost of the new steel tank only $20.

If you buy a #20 outright at Walmart, they are close to 80 here

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Even if they are $80 there, full of gas, that is half the cost of fiberglass tank empty of similar capacity.
No, that’s empty. I don’t buy exchange tanks as I have found them to be unreliable... some have been 25% or less full... getting a tank filled, I know it’s filled to max capacity because the gas starts escaping at 100%.

Reactions: Road

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
No, that’s empty. I don’t buy exchange tanks as I have found them to be unreliable... some have been 25% or less full... getting a tank filled, I know it’s filled to max capacity because the gas starts escaping at 100%.
It costs me $18.75 to fill a #20 tank from empty to full @ a little over 6.6 gallons of propane.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
That's the reason mine are 30+ years old. I fill them at the propane distributor for only a few dollars a tank, I think $2.75 a gallon. If I bought the devise that transfers propane to small tanks I could fill my tanks from my 250 gal tank. I have bought the exchange tanks from Walgreens for my gas BBQ and they usually last me a couple of years. I need to buy the propane guage so that I can see how much I have in a tank. Buying all this stuff keeps you hopping for sure and they are all necessary goods not wanna's.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
It costs me $18.75 to fill a #20 tank from empty to full @ a little over 6.6 gallons of propane.
That's cheap compared to my supplier. But being rural all the price of things here are tourist priced, plus we are 60 miles from an interstate so we pay the price being rural and historically high on tourist travel. Gasoline is $0.40 cents cheaper just 60 miles away from Silver City NM. I live 25 miles from silver so the gas out in my local gas station is another $0.20 a gal higher than in town.

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
Did you need to get those 30 year old tanks recertified? I thought they had to be replaced or recertified at 10 years?

Fiberglass tanks are great. The Marine industry is a big user of them. I just wish they made one in 8" diameter.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Did you need to get those 30 year old tanks recertified? I thought they had to be replaced or recertified at 10 years?

Fiberglass tanks are great. The Marine industry is a big user of them. I just wish they made one in 8" diameter.
No one has ever refused me on re-fills. The 250 g tank at my home has never been re-certified since the propane co. Put it there 25 years ago. It's a rental that I pay $60 a year for.
My acyetaline tank has not been re-filled in 25 years also but what they do is just exchange bottles with me when I go to fill it since I own my bottle. I know they won't fill old bottles.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Three twenty pound tanks - two on the camper and one on the roof rack in a steel oversized milk crate that holds the tank and cast iron Hibachi grill. We cook on old school Coleman liquid fuel stoves but the furnace in the camper will go through some propane in sub-freezing temps. The water heater and fridge aren't that bad.

IMG_6574.JPG.

The Campfire-in-a-Can is also a large consumer but darned handy to keep the cook's helper warm while grandpa is getting breakfast ready.
IMG_6742.JPG

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Three twenty pound tanks - two on the camper and one on the roof rack in a steel oversized milk crate that holds the tank and cast iron Hibachi grill. We cook on old school Coleman liquid fuel stoves but the furnace in the camper will go through some propane in sub-freezing temps. The water heater and fridge aren't that bad.

View attachment 138949.

The Campfire-in-a-Can is also a large consumer but darned handy to keep the cook's helper warm while grandpa is getting breakfast ready.
View attachment 138950
ha ha, all the conveniences of home I see. Nice camp set up. I have a 13'- 76 model Scamp and I prefer to cook outside outside too !
Love your whole rig set up.

Reactions: grubworm

Flying pig

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florence, OR, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
sprueill
Member #

View attachment 138949.

View attachment 138950
That right there is what its all about

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

ha ha, all the conveniences of home I see. Nice camp set up. I have a 13'- 76 model Scamp and I prefer to cook outside outside too !
Love your whole rig set up.
Thanks, sometimes I feel as if we've left nothing at home. We've had this Scamp, an 00, for about ten years and had a 01 16' before that. Congrats on that 76, with reasonable care, these molded fiberglass campers willl last forever and we'd likely still be in our first one if a hurricane hadn't dropped several oaks on it.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

In my experience around the country, always better to refill than exchange, as far as getting your money's worth.

Just be sure to regularly check the condition of your tanks. Was topping off two of my 20#-ers in southern NM last year at a propane dealer and saw an article on the wall about a 40# tank being refilled that shot all the way across a street and through a display window. Some dealers, in states like Massachusetts, won't refill tanks if they look the least bit rusty.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks, sometimes I feel as if we've left nothing at home. We've had this Scamp, an 00, for about ten years and had a 01 16' before that. Congrats on that 76, with reasonable care, these molded fiberglass campers willl last forever and we'd likely still be in our first one if a hurricane hadn't dropped several oaks on it.
What bad luck to lose anything to nature. I'm lucky to have never lost anything due to weather and only one auto in my life to an accident (knock on wood). My scamp was given to me 22 years ago for payment on a debt. It has sat for all this time unused. I'm bringing her back now.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
In my experience around the country, always better to refill than exchange, as far as getting your money's worth.

Just be sure to regularly check the condition of your tanks. Was topping off two of my 20#-ers in southern NM last year at a propane dealer and saw an article on the wall about a 40# tank being refilled that shot all the way across a street and through a display window. Some dealers, in states like Massachusetts, won't refill tanks if they look the least bit rusty.
URL unfurl="true"]https://roaddude.com[/URL]
I know I will need to have my propane dealer ck mine out. They haven't been refilled in many years but the tanks look to be in good shape.
That's a scary story you tell about identified flying objects.

Reactions: Road