Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Had the same environmental crush regret if the mean green 1# disposables. And where do you responsibly dispose of them?? Usually used about 3/4 of one per 3 day trip, running a two burner stove. $8 a pop X 6 trips = the cost of a 5# refillable. So no-brainer for us. Made the switch. Have chosen not to fixed-mount the 5#, since it easily ties down multiple locations, depending on trip duration and necessary gear load. Filled the tank, took three trips with 3-4 adults, and 2-3 kids. Our stove was the primary cooker. When I went back to fill it, was still nearly half full. 5# tank = ~1.25 gallon capacity from my experience
How did you manage to pay only $1. 25 a gallon ? I have to buy 100 gallons at a time to be able to buy it for $2.75 a gallon. Or did I misunderstand what you said ? Always about the same price as gasoline where I live. Still, your right it's much cheaper to fill tanks than to but those little green bottles. I don't have any problem with disposing of them at the recycler tank at my recycle ben in the local dump. They can be refilled if your really concerned and you can do it yourself from a 10 or 20 # bottle with a $10 devise sold at any sporting goods store or online.

Dbrekke27

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

1758 20th Street, Ogden, UT, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Brekke
Member #

How did you manage to pay only $1. 25 a gallon ? I have to buy 100 gallons at a time to be able to buy it for $2.75 a gallon. Or did I misunderstand what you said ? Always about the same price as gasoline where I live. Still, your right it's much cheaper to fill tanks than to but those little green bottles. I don't have any problem with disposing of them at the recycler tank at my recycle ben in the local dump. They can be refilled if your really concerned and you can do it yourself from a 10 or 20 # bottle with a $10 devise sold at any sporting goods store or online.
Regrets, I intended to explain a 5# tank has about a 1.25 gallon capacity, based on the first time I had it filled after purchasing it

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Had the same environmental crush regret if the mean green 1# disposables. And where do you responsibly dispose of them?? Usually used about 3/4 of one per 3 day trip, running a two burner stove. $8 a pop X 6 trips = the cost of a 5# refillable. So no-brainer for us. Made the switch. Have chosen not to fixed-mount the 5#, since it easily ties down multiple locations, depending on trip duration and necessary gear load. Filled the tank, took three trips with 3-4 adults, and 2-3 kids. Our stove was the primary cooker. When I went back to fill it, was still nearly half full. 5# tank = ~1.25 gallon capacity from my experience
I've yet to empty either of my 5lb. tanks. When I go back to top them up I get charged for a full refill which is about $7. I find it hard to complain. The guy's time & labour has to be worth something!

Reactions: Dbrekke27

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Regrets, I intended to explain a 5# tank has about a 1.25 gallon capacity, based on the first time I had it filled after purchasing it
That makes sense, you had me going. I was about to give my propane dealer some hell tomorrow. LOL

Reactions: Dbrekke27

Dbrekke27

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

1758 20th Street, Ogden, UT, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Brekke
Member #

If I can ever get out on the road again you have some very nice country up there to explore. Your area is on my wish list for sure.
My family and I are new to the area (8 weeks) and already feel blessed, and no regrets. Outstanding community here in Ogden.
Heading out for a run to the San Rafael Swell October 17-20 if all things go well.
If you ever head up this way, hit me up and I'll gladly share whatever resources or knowledge I can.

Here's hoping you get to hit the trails again soon

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
It appears that it can be mounted on the bottom of something with bolts or screws. It can also be mounted on the side, front or rear of any part of a trailer !
I think I would prefer this tank to any of the round vertical tanks that dont have a fill valve built in, though that is not a problem if you install a fill valve on them.
I wouldnt weld this tank on anything , it's not necessary !
I'm curious why wouldn't you weld it in?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I'm curious why wouldn't you weld it in?
I would never weld any kind of gas tank in place. It may have to be removed for any number of reasons. Why would the manufacture provide holes for bolting it on if they thought it should be welded. Just makes good sense to me.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I would never weld any kind of gas tank in place. It may have to be removed for any number of reasons. Why would the manufacture provide holes for bolting it on if they thought it should be welded. Just makes good sense to me.
I see your point and understand your reasoning.

For the trailer I'm building and where the tank will go I'll have to cut and redo the mounting tabs from vertical to horizontal then weld it in.

wandering nomad

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

pnw
Member #

Yes, How do you put 7 kids in a jeep anyway. Maybe you need a cargo trailer to haul the kids LOL
I had six so I can relate ! My solution was a 10 passenger van and off roading was a no no, just disbursed camp sites or river road camping.
Its two jku's and the greatest thing about camping and overlanding with 7 kids is they do everything, my wife i just relax and deligate.

Weeeee

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Northern Wisconsin
First Name
Doug
Last Name
McBride
Member #

Does anyone just use the 20lb gas grill cylinders? They are available everywhere and much cheaper than a bunch of 1 pounders and way cheaper than all of the other small sizes. Just curious...

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Does anyone just use the 20lb gas grill cylinders? They are available everywhere and much cheaper than a bunch of 1 pounders and way cheaper than all of the other small sizes. Just curious...
With me it would depend on how long I was going to stay camped. It's one thing to do something for a couple of days and something else if you are going to stay out a week or even a month. Space is a big factor too !

Eric W.

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Wallace
Member #

I use a 20lb tank because of ease in swapping out tanks and cheap cost of it compared to 1lb bottles. Plus I can get a fair amount of weekend warrior trips out of a single tank. Recently spent five days out cooking three meals a day for six people and still had enough to cook lunch for two last three Mondays going out each week to view fall foliage. Can probably squeeze another trip out of tank, maybe. With that said, I have a 6.5' bed on my reg cab Tacoma, so space isn't to big of a deal. Week trip was tight on space but I like to go big cooking.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
I'm currently in the same debate on bottles since I hate having to use the green tanks. I have 3 kids and my JKU and even though were in the south we like to camp all the time and explore as much as we can. We have a buddy heater, Everest Camp Stove & a Skottle. Sometimes when it gets cold even leaving the heater on low it still burns a tank a night and usually by 5-6am the tank is empty and you wake up cold as hell to change the tank out. Space is definitely an issue always but we really get away with eating two fairly decent sized meals a day and snacking through out the day. Whats a good size for 4-5 day trips. I know for extended trips I would end up sacrificing and doing a 20lb bottle.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I use them all the time and typically carry two 20# tanks. I use them for my cook stove and a propane fire ring, which gets a lot of use in burn ban areas where you can't have wood fires. Also converting my Honda gen to run on propane, and have an on-demand water heater, though rarely use it. Oh, and a Mr Buddy heater, and though haven't used that in almost a year, have a hose for it, too, that hooks to a 20# tank.

I typically stay out for months at a time though, too, so makes more sense to have 20# tanks as opposed to 5 pounders or 1 pounders. I rarely ever exchange them, preferring to find a place that'll refill. I think you get more for your pesos that way.

Road

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I really like the idea of the 11 lb tanks. Yes the up front purchase would be a bit but 2 - 11 lb tanks are a lot easier to haul around than a fat 20 lb tank IMO. I think I'll get one 11 lb tank since my trips right now are pretty short. I have a 20 lb tank that I'll use to fill the 1 lb tanks that are convenient for the Coleman lanterns. BTW, if anybody knows of a cheaper source for a good 11 lb tank please post up!