Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I find that the 5 pound tanks work great for my wife and I. We can usually get two or three weekends out of a tank. I always have one small green one as a back up but havent needed it yet. I got mine given to me for free because it was out of date. Got it revalved and filled for about half price.
Why didn't you just trade it in for a full bottle at Wally world for $20

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
All high pressure tanks are filled with liquid propane. The issue is when in use. A tank not designed to be used laying down can allow liquid propane to flow and that’s a fire hazard.
So for travel or storage it's okay to let them lay on their side, HUH ?

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
So for travel or storage it's okay to let them lay on their side, HUH ?
Literally my next post...

Mine as well share the NFPA regulations...

• You must transport propane cylinders upright. They cannot be laying on their sides. You must secure the cylinders in place -- usually with bungee cords -- to prevent them from falling over.
*** This one can be confusing since a tank designed to be on its side is considered upright ***
  • Propane cylinders must be as far from the driver as possible and must be isolated from the engine and exhaust system, which means putting them in the trunk if you're driving a conventional automobile. If you're driving a pick-up, the cylinders can be in the bed of the truck, and they can be transported in the same enclosure as the driver of a box truck or single-compartment van.
  • The total weight of the cylinders, including the propane they contain, cannot exceed 108 pounds. Since a filled appliance cylinder typically weighs 20 pounds, this requirement imposes a limit of five cylinders.
  • If the cylinders have safety caps to cover the valve opening, those caps must be in place. Only older cylinders lack these caps.
  • You can only transport propane in leak-proof containers --if you have an older cylinder you're not sure about, don't use it.
  • You must place the cylinders on a flat surface, such as the floor of the car, a truck bed or the bottom of the trunk.

2boverlanding

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Prince George, BC, Canada
Member #

Why didn't you just trade it in for a full bottle at Wally world for $20
They only have the 20 pound tanks. I also like the compact size of the 5 and 7 pound tanks. When we use my wifes Kia to go camping they are easy to bring along. The only time i use the 20 pound tank is when the fire bans are on and we take the propane fire pit with us. Camping is not the same without a fire.

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bramley, Rotherham, South Yorkshire Forest, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
CB Handle: Buckaroo, UK FM Ch.30
we take the propane fire pit with us.
<rant>
A fire pit starts and ends with a shovel
common misconception and it really bugs the fuck out of me.
fire pit, a pit to light a fire in.
a pit, a hole in the ground.
a fire below the ground is a firepit
a fire on the ground is a fire
a fire held above the ground is a fucking brazier.
</rant>
how the hell do you dig a hole, light the fire in the hole then fuel it with propane without making a fireworks display?
You are describing a fire lighthouse, not a pit

Patriot

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

<rant>
</rant>
how the hell do you dig a hole, light the fire in the hole then fuel it with propane without making a fireworks display?
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: Rant On!!

Last edited:

2boverlanding

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Prince George, BC, Canada
Member #

<rant>
</rant>
This was a nice rant

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckaroo

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
You can also save a few bucks and have a bit more packing versatility by reusing the 1lb tanks and filling them at home. 5 1lb tanks are easier to stuff in tiny spaces than one bigger tank.

The fill adapters are about $20.00.

Yes.... but also noteworthy, the larger tanks are more resistant to freezing. I have an IR grill that doesn't do well with the 1lb tanks.

Reactions: Patriot

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I still need to see a pic of this propane "firepit", WTF is it?

it sounds like something Uncle Bob made in his yard
<------runs off to check Uncle Bob on youtube.

Patriot

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

I still need to see a pic of this propane "firepit", WTF is it?
it sounds like something Uncle Bob made in his yard
<------runs off to check Uncle Bob on youtube.
Google is such a beautiful thing :wink: ....Propane Fire Pits or Fire Rings.
These are propane fire rings are which usually allowed to be used where there are wood campfire bans in National Parks and some State Parks. Generally considered less of a fire risk/hazard since they can be controlled/turned off.
I don’t own one and have never had to use one. Mystery solved.

03537C3E-C260-4D4A-A541-44BEFECFD1D9.png

Last edited:

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
These are propane fire rings are which usually allowed to be used where there are wood campfire bans in National Parks and some State Parks. Generally considered less of a fire risk/hazard since they can be controlled/turned off.

View attachment 119599
google is such a useless thing at times. "Let's split up and look for clues scoob".
so the firepit ( which it never was) has mysteriously turned into a "fire ring"
As you say...Mystery solved.
next quest, how to prevent folks naming stuff a firepit when it ain't?

PS. Thanx for the answer Patriot, I've had 2 sleepless nights already

Patriot

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

google is such a useless thing at times. "Let's split up and look for clues scoob".
so the firepit ( which it never was) has mysteriously turned into a "fire ring"
As you say...Mystery solved.
next quest, how to prevent folks naming stuff a firepit when it ain't?

PS. Thanx for the answer Patriot, I've had 2 sleepless nights already

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

View attachment 119599
I guess it's better than nothing. Sure takes the fun out of it though and fully understandable considering all the careless people who start fires and fail to put them out properly even under good fire conditions.

Buckaroo

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I guess it's better than nothing. Sure takes the fun out of it though and fully understandable considering all the careless people who start fires and fail to put them out properly even under good fire conditions.
fire ring looks like a solution to those places in UK which don't allow open fires or firepits

Last edited:

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA

View attachment 119599
I have that exact one you posted a pic of. Some might think it's stupid but having a fire during burn bans or in areas that don't allow fires has been invaluable. It's definitely not the same as sitting around a real fire but it's better than staring at the dirt and you can still make Smores or cook a hotdog over it. YMMV.

Patriot

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

I have that exact one you posted a pic of. Some might think it's stupid but having a fire during burn bans or in areas that don't allow fires has been invaluable. It's definitely not the same as sitting around a real fire but it's better than staring at the dirt and you can still make Smores or cook a hotdog over it. YMMV.
I think it makes sense, especially using it during a fire ban. How easy does your pack up? Is it light weight?

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I think it makes sense, especially using it during a fire ban. How easy does your pack up? Is it light weight?
It's not the smallest thing to pack especially considering you also have to bring the propane tank with you. It is light weight. As mentioned I only bring it when I can't have a real fire or if I'm lazy so I keep it in the original box which has held up surprisingly well after a year. The box is 19" L x 19"W x12" H. When the box wears out I will find a bag for it. I also use it from time to time at home on the deck. With the flick of a lighter you have a fire to hang out around. Then turn the knob and the fire is out.

Patriot

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

It's not the smallest thing to pack especially considering you also have to bring the propane tank with you. It is light weight. As mentioned I only bring it when I can't have a real fire or if I'm lazy so I keep it in the original box which has held up surprisingly well after a year. The box is 19" L x 19"W x12" H. When the box wears out I will find a bag for it. I also use it from time to time at home on the deck. With the flick of a lighter you have a fire to hang out around. Then turn the knob and the fire is out.
Thanks, great points. I may consider purchasing one for traveling across the US.