Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I've heard that as well but I can't seem to find out why everybody says that. Lifestyle Overland went all the way to Alaska and back with their tank on its side the entire time it was up on the roof rack. That's several thousand miles. I asked them if they had any issues and they said none at all. They also said the same thing that everyone says not to, but not why not to.
There is a disclaimer on the site I bought the tank from. Says definitely not to lie tank on its side for extended periods of time. My guess is that they could leak over time. There are 2 main types of propane tanks. Liquid and vapor tanks. Forklifts use liquid ones that's why they can use them on their sides I'm guessing... not 100 though.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
All high pressure tanks are filled with liquid propane. The issue is when in use. A tank not designed to be used laying down can allow liquid propane to flow and that’s a fire hazard.

Wandering Bison

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Overlanding The Americas
First Name
JS
Last Name
Bergeron
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE4 JSB
I've heard that as well but I can't seem to find out why everybody says that. Lifestyle Overland went all the way to Alaska and back with their tank on its side the entire time it was up on the roof rack. That's several thousand miles. I asked them if they had any issues and they said none at all. They also said the same thing that everyone says not to, but not why not to.
Here’s an area where I do have some expertise - I’m actually a Hazardous Materials technician;

The issue with a “traditional” vertical propane tank is that all the fittings, including the pressure relief valve are in the upper part of the tank, which is the vapour space of the tank.

When placed on their side, the fittings, including the pressure relief valve are likely now in contact with the liquid part of the gas (that’s how they fit so much propane in your cylinder - they squeeze it until it’s liquid).

The fact that it is liquid does not make it more likely to get out of the tank, leak but IF it does, liquid propane expands over 300 times, so 1 gallon of liquid leaking out of the tank makes 300+ gallons of propane gas around the tank before it dissipates.

So, if the pressure valve let’s go of some pressure, for example because the temperature of the cylinder rises enough in the sun or worst, inside a vehicle, if your cylinder is on its side, you will release a lot of propane instead of a small mount of gas.

So, will you certainly kill someone, no!

But you could be making for a really bad day because that a lot of gas!

Does that make sense?

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Mine as well share the NFPA regulations...

• You must transport propane cylinders upright. They cannot be laying on their sides. You must secure the cylinders in place -- usually with bungee cords -- to prevent them from falling over.
*** This one can be confusing since a tank designed to be on its side is considered upright ***
  • Propane cylinders must be as far from the driver as possible and must be isolated from the engine and exhaust system, which means putting them in the trunk if you're driving a conventional automobile. If you're driving a pick-up, the cylinders can be in the bed of the truck, and they can be transported in the same enclosure as the driver of a box truck or single-compartment van.
  • The total weight of the cylinders, including the propane they contain, cannot exceed 108 pounds. Since a filled appliance cylinder typically weighs 20 pounds, this requirement imposes a limit of five cylinders.
  • If the cylinders have safety caps to cover the valve opening, those caps must be in place. Only older cylinders lack these caps.
  • You can only transport propane in leak-proof containers --if you have an older cylinder you're not sure about, don't use it.
  • You must place the cylinders on a flat surface, such as the floor of the car, a truck bed or the bottom of the trunk.

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

Anyone in the Denver area looking for the 5lb tanks relatively cheap. Mcguckins (hope I'm spelling that right) Hardware store In Boulder had them for $35 I believe.

2boverlanding

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Prince George, BC, Canada
Member #

My 7 pound bottle lasted for 8 days my last trip out. That was making 2 meals a day, 10 cup purculater coffee and hot water for dishes and hygiene. I carry it in the back of the jeep right now but will be moving it to the overland trailer soon.

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Really depends on what you're using it for too. Some stoves use more than others so you gotta take that into account.

Reactions: CTO1Mike

Packtive Misfits

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tampa, FL, USA
First Name
Erwin
Last Name
Arellano
Member #

So the snow is gone and i got a chance to mount my tank, i had watched a you tube video and said i can improve that.
I watched that video you were talking about and wondered why the guy didn't just flip the brackets either and do away with the plate. Do you remember what length bolts you used? I plan on doing a video on it probably in November

Patriot

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

looks like a harbor freight box. i just mounted one to my camper and had to replace the power jack with a side mount hand crank to give room for the LP tank....just like your setup.
It’s a Maxx Haul tongue box purchased from etrailer. I had it Rhino lined.

Last edited:

Patriot

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

You can also save a few bucks and have a bit more packing versatility by reusing the 1lb tanks and filling them at home. 5 1lb tanks are easier to stuff in tiny spaces than one bigger tank.

The fill adapters are about $20.00.

For our needs the tank mounted on the exterior of the tongue box offers more space for packing set up gear in the tongue box.
My TV is a Tundra with plenty of cargo room in the covered bed. And I honestly just have no interest in refilling the 1# tanks but do appreciate your suggestion. I will leave the refilling of propane tanks to the experts. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Patriot

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Dry run fit of the Power Tank bracket and 11# Worthington tank. I also ordered the Aluminum 10# tank and Power tank bracket and may just install it instead of the painted tank.

0575066B-F38C-4F25-9C9B-9A8918733FC4.jpeg

Fits under the table-
AD474CA3-9195-47F1-BC50-06F53E30D412.jpeg

8E530CF3-A77B-4C12-9B32-6C61A79E81DB.jpeg

Here is the aluminum tank I will install in place of the painted tank.
2852F72A-226C-4739-BD7A-2DB2FFD98D82.png

Attachments

kilby

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rox Park Colorado
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Kilby
Member #

I can usually get a full weekend out of one 1lb tank. I just ordered a refillable setup, though. I've started to hear sea turtles cry everytime I use one up. So I got the Flame King refillable kit from Amazon. It's like $37 right now.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
And then feed 7 hungry kids, Maybe i need need to ditch the jeeps and get food truck
Yes, How do you put 7 kids in a jeep anyway. Maybe you need a cargo trailer to haul the kids LOL
I had six so I can relate ! My solution was a 10 passenger van and off roading was a no no, just disbursed camp sites or river road camping.