propane tanks

• HTML tutorial

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
Thanks, great points. I may consider purchasing one for traveling across the US.
It would be great for that trip. No wood to worry about, just fill your propane tanks when in town resupplying. I have the outland fire bowl brand. If you run it on low the propane lasts a long time. IMG_20190930_073842154.jpg Here it is on the deck. There may be other brands that are more compact but this thing has been great for us.

Patriot

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

It would be great for that trip. No wood to worry about, just fill your propane tanks when in town resupplying. I have the outland fire bowl brand. If you run it on low the propane lasts a long time. View attachment 119725 Here it is on the deck. There may be other brands that are more compact but this thing has been great for us.
Looks good! Does it radiate heat onto the wood decking?

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

A 5lb. tank suits our needs (2 people) fine so far. It's basically just for cooking now although we have run the furnace for a few hr's too. . We have 15 nights on it since the last refill and it's still about half full. I use an inline gauge with it.

I mounted it and a utility / battery box on the tongue of our trailer. I installed a receiver tube under the box on either side. I currently have the propane cylinder on one side and a water tank on the other. I will be adding an onboard water tank and an on demand water heater to the trailer. At that point I will likely add a second 5lb. tank on the tongue.

The tank sits on a metal disc with a rubber pad that I welded to a square tube and that goes in to the receiver tube. It is also attached to the box by a welding tank strap.

19-06-20 1.JPG19-05-13 1.JPG

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

It would be great for that trip. No wood to worry about, just fill your propane tanks when in town resupplying. I have the outland fire bowl brand. If you run it on low the propane lasts a long time. View attachment 119725 Here it is on the deck. There may be other brands that are more compact but this thing has been great for us.

I used my 19" Outland Firebowl this weekend. Wood fires are banned right now in SoCal. Everybody was impressed with the performance. I was surprised how long a 20lb tank lasted. I wasn't counting, but it was well over 10 hours.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
A 5lb. tank suits our needs (2 people) fine so far. It's basically just for cooking now although we have run the furnace for a few hr's too. . We have 15 nights on it since the last refill and it's still about half full. I use an inline gauge with it.

I mounted it and a utility / battery box on the tongue of our trailer. I installed a receiver tube under the box on either side. I currently have the propane cylinder on one side and a water tank on the other. I will be adding an onboard water tank and an on demand water heater to the trailer. At that point I will likely add a second 5lb. tank on the tongue.

The tank sits on a metal disc with a rubber pad that I welded to a square tube and that goes in to the receiver tube. It is also attached to the box by a welding tank strap.

View attachment 119823View attachment 119824
Thats pretty slick. Where did you get the disk, and does it only fit the 5# bottle?

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Thats pretty slick. Where did you get the disk, and does it only fit the 5# bottle?
It's a 4" dia. 4 bolt drive plate which is a good size for a 5lb. tank. It would be small for a larger tank but at 0.25" thick plenty strong enough.

I cut down a 4" rubber light grommet to buffer the bottom of the tank.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I used my 19" Outland Firebowl this weekend. Wood fires are banned right now in SoCal. Everybody was impressed with the performance. I was surprised how long a 20lb tank lasted. I wasn't counting, but it was well over 10 hours.
That had to be on high right? I can use it for many nights in a row on low but I never really kept track.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I would say probably at least 75% on high. I was really surprised since my bigger Camp Chef fire pit will blow through a tank in 3 hours.
All in the BTU's ..orifice size... my 20# bottle on my BBQ grill lasts me for a year of cooking.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

So i want to step up to a bigger tank and not have to bring multiple green tanks, im thinking a 5lb just for coleman stove purposes. Not sure if these will even last a weekend so any advice would be great.
5lbs are a bit pricey, but I bought one a while ago and I absolutely LOVE it. It's lasted for a 5 day expedition, plus numerous back yard bbqs, so plenty of propane in them. Way better for the environment than the horrid 1lb bottles, and IMO the 5lb is the perfect size for overlanding, camping etc.

My opinion is, buy one, you won't regret it.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I realize most of you won't be interested in this kind of tank but it's what I'll be putting on the trailer I'm building for a buddy of mine. It suits his needs and will tuck up under the trailer out of the way and not take up needed space.

s-l1600.jpg

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Curious here....So to refill this tank do you remove it? What’s the procedure to refill?
The tank will be welded in and become a permanent part of the trailer. It was designed for a remote fill just like a motorhome has.

Reactions: Patriot

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Curious here....So to refill this tank do you remove it? What’s the procedure to refill?
It appears that it can be mounted on the bottom of something with bolts or screws. It can also be mounted on the side, front or rear of any part of a trailer !
I think I would prefer this tank to any of the round vertical tanks that dont have a fill valve built in, though that is not a problem if you install a fill valve on them.
I wouldnt weld this tank on anything , it's not necessary !

Dbrekke27

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

1758 20th Street, Ogden, UT, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Brekke
Member #

Had the same environmental crush regret if the mean green 1# disposables. And where do you responsibly dispose of them?? Usually used about 3/4 of one per 3 day trip, running a two burner stove. $8 a pop X 6 trips = the cost of a 5# refillable. So no-brainer for us. Made the switch. Have chosen not to fixed-mount the 5#, since it easily ties down multiple locations, depending on trip duration and necessary gear load. Filled the tank, took three trips with 3-4 adults, and 2-3 kids. Our stove was the primary cooker. When I went back to fill it, was still nearly half full. 5# tank = ~1.25 gallon capacity from my experience