"PIGPEN" 2018 forester light build and fun adventures | Page 5 | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

"PIGPEN" 2018 forester light build and fun adventures

Discussion in 'Overland Vehicle Build Threads' started by Smileyshaun, Jul 21, 2018.

Hi Guest, Become a Member to gain access to the Member Forums, Member Map, Member Calendar of Events, and Rally Point overland trip planner! Click this link "Learn More" for more information!
  1. Overland_Mitsu

Overland_Mitsu Rank II

Map
    Wow man, that is a ton of oil! How many miles are on the car? Time to trade into that Mitsubishi

2. Smileyshaun

Smileyshaun Rank III

Member #:

Map
    oh and I'm still having the bad low end power thing from time to time and some surging in all gears .

on the post above when I had to turn around I nearly had to smoke the clutch struggling to back up this hill with only 3-4 inch of snow on the ground . the hill was not that steep but the car would just not keep momentum to get up the little hill . 20181229_150011.jpg

3. Smileyshaun

Smileyshaun Rank III

Member #:

Map

only has 9k miles , it's kinda weird because the fiance has the same car but in a 2017 with no problems at all

4. Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits Assistant Ambassador East
    Staff Member Moderator Member

Member #:

Map
    The FB is apparently just like the EJ in regards to oil burning. More times than not the oil burning in the new engine can be narrowed down to the break in. Based on my experience and the experience of others the FB usually takes 8-10k to completely break in.

5. Smileyshaun

Smileyshaun Rank III

Member #:

Map

well I'm hoping for that but it seems like the MT trans foresters have a particular high occurrence of burning excessive amounts of oil . My motor has felt ruff sense I've gotten it , if I'm around 22-2600 rpms it sounds like it has a bad rattle . so hate to think I bought a lemon but from the bit of searching I've done it looks to be not a unheard of problem . I've read at least a hand full of people having the same problem in the last couple years that the problem got bad enough that Subaru either replaced the motor or bought the car back . The part that puts a bad taste in my mouth is alot of these people had to sign non disclosure agreements to get their car fixed . from what it seems like Subaru knows there is a problem . Now what I have to do is go in every 1200 miles to have them do an oil consumption test, really not happy about having to go to the dealer that often.

6. Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits Assistant Ambassador East
    Staff Member Moderator Member

Member #:

Map
    No it definitely sucks. I’ve never heard of anyone having to sign an NDA to have their engine replaced under warranty. It’s no secret that the FB is having these problems but it’s by no means a common problem. I know most of us wanted to put that part in the past where we left the EJ but here we are.

As far as your rattle goes the FB is far from a quiet engine. The rattle is unfortunately common and especially bad when cold. We have the same engine so I’ve been listening to probably the same thing for 62k. Different oil makes a slight difference but it’s the price we pay for never having to worry about a timing belt.

7. Smileyshaun

Smileyshaun Rank III

Member #:

Map
    The rattle is only between 22-2600 rpms under light acceleration. i habe a video of it somewhere I'll see if I can dig up . my fiance has the same car in a 2017 and competitively her motor is super quiet with no real oil consumption nor the studdering issues . I just feel like mine was built on a Friday afternoon of a 3 day weekend lol

8. Smileyshaun

Smileyshaun Rank III

Member #:

Map
    well pigpen is at the body shop getting all fixed up and in the mean time I have a fun rental , I was actually considering getting rid of the subi for one of these ( in a pro4x trim ) so this kinda worked out having one for at least a week . 20190109_093544.jpg

JCWages, Jimmy P and Overland_Mitsu like this.
  9. Overland_Mitsu

Overland_Mitsu Rank II

Map
    I miss my Xterra. I had an 06. It has a pretty rad motor in it that’d was killer for off road. Always considered trading it on a Fronty but ended up selling it

10. Smileyshaun

Smileyshaun Rank III

Member #:

Map
    i also have the inclination to get a 3rd gen 4runner . The original idea of getting the Subaru was so I had a new car that I don't have to work on so I can concentrate on my Jeep but now being that I'm selling the Jeep I really could use something more capable cuz even the Subaru being built it's still only going to work as well as probably a stock regular four-wheel drive vehicle.

11. JCWages

JCWages Rank II

Map
    Sorry to hear you're having all these issues. It's just not something you should have to deal with while still making payments on it. Jeez.

12. Smileyshaun

Smileyshaun Rank III

Member #:

Map
    well if anybody is gonna get a lemon it's gonna be me lol