"PIGPEN" 2018 forester light build and fun adventures

• HTML tutorial

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
well the drama continues , on top of having a rattlely 4th gear , I seem to be burning oil at a alarming rate I'm now on 3qts of oil on the oil change cycle. after doing a bit of reading online it looks like I'm not the only one and it seems Subaru knows there is a problem and doing a bit of shady work covering up the problem . I'm a bit frustrated with the car at the moment and am really planning on getting rid of it even if I take a loss on it .
Wow man, that is a ton of oil! How many miles are on the car? Time to trade into that Mitsubishi [emoji12]

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

oh and I'm still having the bad low end power thing from time to time and some surging in all gears .

on the post above when I had to turn around I nearly had to smoke the clutch struggling to back up this hill with only 3-4 inch of snow on the ground . the hill was not that steep but the car would just not keep momentum to get up the little hill . 20181229_150011.jpg

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
only has 9k miles , it's kinda weird because the fiance has the same car but in a 2017 with no problems at all
The FB is apparently just like the EJ in regards to oil burning. More times than not the oil burning in the new engine can be narrowed down to the break in. Based on my experience and the experience of others the FB usually takes 8-10k to completely break in.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

The FB is apparently just like the EJ in regards to oil burning. More times than not the oil burning in the new engine can be narrowed down to the break in. Based on my experience and the experience of others the FB usually takes 8-10k to completely break in.

well I'm hoping for that but it seems like the MT trans foresters have a particular high occurrence of burning excessive amounts of oil . My motor has felt ruff sense I've gotten it , if I'm around 22-2600 rpms it sounds like it has a bad rattle . so hate to think I bought a lemon but from the bit of searching I've done it looks to be not a unheard of problem . I've read at least a hand full of people having the same problem in the last couple years that the problem got bad enough that Subaru either replaced the motor or bought the car back . The part that puts a bad taste in my mouth is alot of these people had to sign non disclosure agreements to get their car fixed . from what it seems like Subaru knows there is a problem . Now what I have to do is go in every 1200 miles to have them do an oil consumption test, really not happy about having to go to the dealer that often.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
well I'm hoping for that but it seems like the MT trans foresters have a particular high occurrence of burning excessive amounts of oil . My motor has felt ruff sense I've gotten it , if I'm around 22-2600 rpms it sounds like it has a bad rattle . so hate to think I bought a lemon but from the bit of searching I've done it looks to be not a unheard of problem . I've read at least a hand full of people having the same problem in the last couple years that the problem got bad enough that Subaru either replaced the motor or bought the car back . The part that puts a bad taste in my mouth is alot of these people had to sign non disclosure agreements to get their car fixed . from what it seems like Subaru knows there is a problem . Now what I have to do is go in every 1200 miles to have them do an oil consumption test, really not happy about having to go to the dealer that often.
No it definitely sucks. I’ve never heard of anyone having to sign an NDA to have their engine replaced under warranty. It’s no secret that the FB is having these problems but it’s by no means a common problem. I know most of us wanted to put that part in the past where we left the EJ but here we are.

As far as your rattle goes the FB is far from a quiet engine. The rattle is unfortunately common and especially bad when cold. We have the same engine so I’ve been listening to probably the same thing for 62k. Different oil makes a slight difference but it’s the price we pay for never having to worry about a timing belt.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

The rattle is only between 22-2600 rpms under light acceleration. i habe a video of it somewhere I'll see if I can dig up . my fiance has the same car in a 2017 and competitively her motor is super quiet with no real oil consumption nor the studdering issues . I just feel like mine was built on a Friday afternoon of a 3 day weekend lol

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
well pigpen is at the body shop getting all fixed up and in the mean time I have a fun rental , I was actually considering getting rid of the subi for one of these ( in a pro4x trim ) so this kinda worked out having one for at least a week . View attachment 81633
I miss my Xterra. I had an 06. It has a pretty rad motor in it that’d was killer for off road. Always considered trading it on a Fronty but ended up selling it [emoji58]

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

i also have the inclination to get a 3rd gen 4runner . The original idea of getting the Subaru was so I had a new car that I don't have to work on so I can concentrate on my Jeep but now being that I'm selling the Jeep I really could use something more capable cuz even the Subaru being built it's still only going to work as well as probably a stock regular four-wheel drive vehicle.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Sorry to hear you're having all these issues. It's just not something you should have to deal with while still making payments on it. Jeez.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Will pick pan is back from the body shop looking nice and pretty again now I'm off to the dealer so I can start my oil consumption testing cuz I'm just so happy about having to take part of my day off to go in every 1200 miles to have them check my oil20190117_090241.jpg

Not driving this thing for a week I really forgot how loud the shifter rattles in 4th gear I truly am just done with this car

Reactions: Jimmy P

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

i just want then to buy the car back , I didn't buy a new car to have the transmission rebuilt have to put 2 qts of oil between oil changes and have the thing spudder and surge . the whole thing has just put a bad taste in my mouth .