Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

found snow , played in some snow .... kinda disappointed. between the lack of a low range and the traction control being overbearing and no real way of turning it off it really did interfere some of my driving. I may be starting to have some buyer's remorse on this thingIMG_0324.jpg

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
found snow , played in some snow .... kinda disappointed. between the lack of a low range and the traction control being overbearing and no real way of turning it off it really did interfere some of my driving. I may be starting to have some buyer's remorse on this thingView attachment 77186
There’s plenty of fun to be had with it but if it’s your first winter in a newer Subaru there’s some things to understand.. You can turn traction control off but you can’t disable VDC which unfortunately retains some of its control over traction control. Not an issue isolated to Subaru. This is not the end of the world and typically the only time it can be intrusive is from a dead stop. Momentum changes everything and once you’re going things ‘loosen up’. All newer vehicles are designed to understeer heavily because that’s safer than for novice drivers. This impacts your ability to get the ass moving which means learn to flick. Another thing is the CVT. When all the wheels are spinning it may want to ‘shift’ which will feel like you’re suffering from not enough power or improper gearing. Use manual mode if you have it. I can assure you that playing in the snow is not the typical situation where Subaru owners wish we had low range.

Better luck next time you go out to play.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

There’s plenty of fun to be had with it but if it’s your first winter in a newer Subaru there’s some things to understand.. You can turn traction control off but you can’t disable VDC which unfortunately retains some of its control over traction control. Not an issue isolated to Subaru. This is not the end of the world and typically the only time it can be intrusive is from a dead stop. Momentum changes everything and once you’re going things ‘loosen up’. All newer vehicles are designed to understeer heavily because that’s safer than for novice drivers. This impacts your ability to get the ass moving which means learn to flick. Another thing is the CVT. When all the wheels are spinning it may want to ‘shift’ which will feel like you’re suffering from not enough power or improper gearing. Use manual mode if you have it. I can assure you that playing in the snow is not the typical situation where Subaru owners wish we had low range.

Better luck next time you go out to play.

it's a manual trans

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

i guess I should rephrase what I said , having a low ability to stay on top of the snow and keep the wheel speed just slow enough to not dig in is what the Subaru lacks . I'm just coming from a bit different background of snow play in vehicles . it's just more motivation to finish the jeep and maybe get a set of cross country skis .

typically I like deep snow and being away from others it's just going to be a adjustment .hdr_00503_0.jpg IMG_6340.PNG

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Well good news , looks like my 4th gear syncro is shot and possibly the shift rod so Subaru is going to have to possibly put in a new trans . They also feel the lag and lack of throttle response so they are going through and doing a software update. bad side is I might have a loaner for a while

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

on a good note b4 the tire got slashed we where doing well in about a foot and a half of snow and took a trip up to hideaway lake . The dead spot in the throttle is gone and i can actually lug the motor a little in first gear without it wanting to fall on its face , made staying on top of the snow a lot easier .

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
on a good note b4 the tire got slashed we where doing well in about a foot and a half of snow and took a trip up to hideaway lake . The dead spot in the throttle is gone and i can actually lug the motor a little in first gear without it wanting to fall on its face , made staying on top of the snow a lot easier .
Did you get a new transmission put in?

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

had a great time with the fiance getting out of town for a couple days doing some back road exploring , little snowshoeing and some relaxing .

so far the tires are amazing , get so much traction in the snow in finding it hard to get them to spin and seem to be just as quiet as the stock tires were20181228_134826.jpg20181228_105136.jpg
Only downside of the whole weekend was some guy that had no right being in the snow didn't move over far enough and clipped my car broke the mirror and scratched up the side of it. I swear this thing is cursed lol

Reactions: Jimmy P

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

well the drama continues , on top of having a rattlely 4th gear , I seem to be burning oil at a alarming rate I'm now on 3qts of oil on the oil change cycle. after doing a bit of reading online it looks like I'm not the only one and it seems Subaru knows there is a problem and doing a bit of shady work covering up the problem . I'm a bit frustrated with the car at the moment and am really planning on getting rid of it even if I take a loss on it .