Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Sunday funday

our day of exploring was cut really short by having to go into work this morning but we still managed a good 80 miles of gravel road driving in . When I was trying to plan out a trip for the day I was just looking at satellite images and finding gravel roads that connect to make some sort of loop ended up finding the smoothest easiest Gravel Road I've ever driven on in my life but due to a pretty thick layer of clouds and Misty Rain the view was quite minimal got a nice view of some fall color starting to set in but other than that it was just a very enjoyable drive through the woods with my lady. hdr_00855_0.jpghdr_00856_0.jpg

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Sunday funday or disappointing laughter

started the day off with loading the kayaks and a drive up the Columbia river gorge to do a wine pick up for the fiance , gotta have adult beverages for a day trip you know. For once we did the touristy thing and stopped at Multnomah falls to do a little sightseeing. Living here my whole life you kind of forget about some of these normal spots because normally I avoid them because of the crowds.hdr_00862_0.jpg hdr_00863_0.jpg 20180923_093647.jpg

It was a very beautiful but windy day out that made for some fun watching of kite skiers? if that's what you call the guys with the big kites and wakeboard looking things . hdr_00866_0.jpg

We where going to do a little paddling around on the Columbia maybe try to catch a walleye and some bass but the wind was just to much so we went with plan B , a drive up to Badger lake .

20180923_114131.jpg hdr_00867_0.jpg hdr_00868_0.jpg

The drive to Badger lake is rather bumpy and when wet can be a bit slippery one lane mountain pass road with some incredible views that I hardly took any pictures of because I was in just drive mode . The fiance broke out her adult wine sippy cup to help calm the nerves of the cliffs and dropoffs on the road .
20180923_125647.jpg hdr_00869_0.jpg

On the way up we had a bit of a Bill Envall " here's your sign " moments. Once you turn off the main road to head to Badger lake that's the only place the road goes ... so we are on a road that only goes to a lake ... we have two kayaks on top of the car and a guy passing us stops and asks " you heading down to the lake ?" ....... I actually couldn't think of a good smartass response to the guy. But anyways we kept heading down the bumpy Old Road and got to the lake just to have a bit of a surprise.
20180923_140326.jpg

Normally at this point we would be about 15 ft underwater I kind of forgot that the lake drains a lot toward the end of summer. So we just sat there laughing for a good 5-10 minutes I mean what else can you do with that point. On the plus side though did end up helping out some guy in a Cherokee that attempted to drive across parts of what is usually the lake and got stuck help get them unstuck which was a really good thing because he had his wife and kids with him and who knows if anybody else would have driven down there. So we headed back the way we came looped around a different direction checked out some other gravel roads in the area and headed home no fish were caught but it was still a fun day.
20180923_144704.jpg

hit a milestone 5000 miles
20180923_161418.jpg

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

wanted a way to separate trash and cans when out exploring , had some extra material from when I was planning on making a bikini top for my Jeep and then realize that they sell sewing materials in yards not in feet so I have a crap ton left over. so I will call this version 1.0 , already found a couple of things I don't like about the way I made it so I'll give it a couple revisions before I make out of canvas or some other better material

20181002_220249.jpg 20181002_220243.jpg

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

having split days off has its huge dissavateges but managed to get out to do a little camping and fishing over the weekend . was hoping the bad weather would keep other campers away but to our disappointment there was still plenty of people around . Still had a great time doing almost nothing with the fiance .
on the bad side I was pulling into a camping spot looking for firewood and clipped a small stump sitting on the edge of the road and ripped off the plastic cladding under the door and put a small dent in the door . also came stupidly close to hitting my oil pan pulling into our camping spot the first night 20181006_122718.jpg 20181006_122622.jpg hdr_00657_0.jpg hdr_00674_0.jpg

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Glad to see all the places you’re going and good times you’re having with your Subaru! Looks like it’s time for a lift and some ‘protection’ @Smileyshaun.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Think I'm going to take a break from working on the Jeep and look into making a skid plate for the Subaru and possibly maybe some lower door armor

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Sunday funday

Took a little drive down to Tillamook then up the coast to Astoria to stop at fort George brewery to sample some more of their delicious beers .
On our way to the coast we make a little detour to a spot called triangulation point ( or strangulation point as the fiance calls it because she hates cliffs and heights ) I was honestly expecting a harder drive from what I've read about the roads getting there. It was mostly just bumpy with a couple minor washed out spots , i could see it being a bit more challenging if it was super wet and muddy . Amazing 360° view from the top , It was a little hazy in the morning so I'm sure it would be a little better later in the day .
20181015_111723.jpg
On our way back down we took a couple side roads looking for camping spots but diddnt really find anything .
Rest of the day was just relaxing soaking in the sunshine , drove down the beach for a while looking for sand dollars for the fiance . Beer was good pizza was amazing and the subset was incredible.
hdr_00742_0.jpg
hdr_00759_0.jpg
took very few pictures because I just wanted to enjoy the day .

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I've had a set of 235/75r15 snow tires taking up space in the garage for years and finally found a use for them .
20181023_102140.jpg

I ordered up 1 black rhino boxer for a test fit 20181017_141854.jpg

other then the possible cleaning issue on the outside lip ( I see having to scrub each little hole a pain ) I really like them .
20181024_111824.jpg

They weigh in at a good light 16 lbs so as long as I don't go crazy with tires in the future I should end up with the same weight as the stock tire and wheel combo or a little lighter . Hopefully get around to putting it on for test fit today. Not really a fan of black rims so who knows I might have them powder coated or plasti dip them another color down the road.20181023_161517.jpg

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
Not sure if your stock tire size but I went from a 215/70-16 to a 235/75-15 on my outlander set Sport. There was a bit of rubbing that required some trimming

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I'm just kidding plasmas and torches are for my Jeep build not my Subaru, worst case I might have to bend the pinchweld down a little bit and then heat up the plastic liner to flatten it back out so it still looks stock

Reactions: Overland_Mitsu

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
I'm just kidding plasmas and torches are for my Jeep build not my Subaru, worst case I might have to bend the pinchweld down a little bit and then heat up the plastic liner to flatten it back out so it still looks stock
Lol. You got me excited as that’s how I work on my Outlander [emoji51]