2in Receiver D-Ring
Recovery Boards
Upgraded Headlights from LMC
Headlight relay kit
Rear door seals
Flip up license plate mount
GMRS Radio
UV5-R Mount
Blue Enamel Camp plates, bowls, cups, etc.
Fiskers 28in Axe
Carpet for my platform
Tree saver strap
and a 2009 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited.

This Covid-19 thing has been good to me. Lots of extra miles that I get paid to drive and a fair bit of overtime. I guess one mans crisis is another mans jackpot.

LD5050

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Longview, Texas, USA
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Do you ever get into a heavy wood cutting situation on the trail where the charger cannot keep up with the saw's draw on the batteries? How many batteries do you recommend (I have a couple small and a couple 8ha batteries)?
Was at my buddies place last weekend who introduced me to blower use while camping, his DeWalt is tiny compared to the Milwaukee :(
μολὼν λαβέ - right back at you ;)
The chainsaw can put a decent drain on the 20v, so I usually use a big one on it. But we really only tackle small stuff like where the trail has overgrown somewhat, nothing too big.
I agree that the 20v DeWalt blower is kinda puny, but we use the newer 60v brushless motor version. The 60v Max DeWalt stuff is interchangeable with 20v Max stuff, which is nice. Not to be confused with the 40v DeWalt stuff, which is professional use and much more durable (and expensive) than 20v/60v consumer grade stuff.
And with batteries being so expensive, my advice is only what you need. If I wasn’t pulling double duty with the Power Station as a generator/ power supply, I could get away with (1) 9Ah, (1) 6Ah, and a super small (-3Ah) one for overhead tasks. But that’s with being able to recharge them via my rig.

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
im thinking the same. either something like that or a drone. not sure the learning curve on a drone, but i'm sure i can handle something that stays on the ground plus it would be fun to chase our chickens with! :grinning:
I have one too that I am learning to fly. (a cheap one)

Reactions: grubworm

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
I'm thinking of a front hitch mount (etrailers) and some winch. Works in front and rear. Just need to do the wiring.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'm thinking of a front hitch mount (etrailers) and some winch. Works in front and rear. Just need to do the wiring.
That's my favorite way to run a winch. When I'm daily driving my Jeep I don't have to lug around 100 lbs of mount and winch if I don't want to. I can leave it behind in the garage.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I'd love a front hitch and cradle winch but the only front hitches I can find for my truck are 9k rated and I'm not sure what the safety factor is. Going with a 10k winch, the last thing I want is the weak link to be the part hard-mounted to the frame.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'm in a 4000 lb XJ, I'm not real concerned with it though I could see those being in heavier vehicles possibly having an issue.

Reactions: LostWoods

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
I'd love a front hitch and cradle winch but the only front hitches I can find for my truck are 9k rated and I'm not sure what the safety factor is. Going with a 10k winch, the last thing I want is the weak link to be the part hard-mounted to the frame.

I'm thinking that the pin is the weak point, Replace with a grade 12 bolt...Any thoughts from the smart guys? I have no engineering training. I just think of what might work. I know that working load of rope is about 25 percent of actual breaking strength and similar for pressure vessels. I am also on Hammock Forums and some people go on for volumes on the properties of Amsteel rope. Gives me a headache!

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
They just opened up a Harbor Freight in my closest town. My pocket book is already crying for help. Figured id give this 20v fan a try. In currently running a run time test on high setting with the 3.0ah battery.

Attachments

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I'm in a 4000 lb XJ, I'm not real concerned with it though I could see those being in heavier vehicles possibly having an issue.
Yeah in the JT, I'll be 6.2k in trail trim so for safety factor, I want at least the 10k winch. In a lighter Jeep I'd have zero concerns with an 8k in a cradle.

I'm thinking that the pin is the weak point, Replace with a grade 12 bolt...Any thoughts from the smart guys? I have no engineering training. I just think of what might work. I know that working load of rope is about 25 percent of actual breaking strength and similar for pressure vessels. I am also on Hammock Forums and some people go on for volumes on the properties of Amsteel rope. Gives me a headache!
Typical brand name 5/8" pin for a 2" receiver is equivalent to an 8.8 bolt if I remember my reading right which is already going to be more than the average hitch on a light truck/SUV. The metal of the hitch or the mounting points on the frame will fail before the pin does.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I went a little crazy,
13,000lb winch
Winch mount plate
Recover strap kit
2in Receiver D-Ring
Recovery Boards
Upgraded Headlights from LMC
Headlight relay kit
Rear door seals
Flip up license plate mount
GMRS Radio
UV5-R Mount
Blue Enamel Camp plates, bowls, cups, etc.
Fiskers 28in Axe
Carpet for my platform
Tree saver strap
and a 2009 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited.

This Covid-19 thing has been good to me. Lots of extra miles that I get paid to drive and a fair bit of overtime. I guess one mans crisis is another mans jackpot.
You are really gunna need congress to pass a new stimulus! Lol

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I picked up a new to me Icom 207H from another member, and ordered 2 new Toyo 285/75-18 MT’s to replace the worn fronts on the Ram.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

REI Base Camp 4 tent... decided to upgrade to a 3/4 season tent so we can do winter camping when we get out to AZ.

Eyeing an Anti-Rock track bar for the front after my last trip out... need a bit more articulation for rutted out trails and don't want to bother with an electronic disconnect.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I bought a monster awning for the tailgate of my Jeep XJ. It will cover about 5 or 6 people. I'm thinking that we may be doing more day trips for a while and it might come in handy. I'm also a race fan (sports cars, road racing, etc.) and I'm looking forward to backing this up to the track side fence and staying out of the sun and rain.

I'm a little late to seeing this post, but I have a similar awning made by Slumber Jack called the Roadhouse and they're great. We were camping Memorial day weekend and had light rain on and off the whole time with temps ranging from 30's-60's and a steady wind in the evenings. Set it up so the open end was a few feet from the fire, hooked in another rain fly on the wind side for a wall and stayed dry and warm all weekend.
20200522_195007.jpg

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
I'm a little late to seeing this post, but I have a similar awning made by Slumber Jack called the Roadhouse and they're great. We were camping Memorial day weekend and had light rain on and off the whole time with temps ranging from 30's-60's and a steady wind in the evenings. Set it up so the open end was a few feet from the fire, hooked in another rain fly on the wind side for a wall and stayed dry and warm all weekend.
View attachment 163350
Nice Setup!

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Nice Setup!
Thanks, it was actually a last minute purchase before rolling out of town when we saw there was going to be rain. Have to say I've been pretty pleased with it for something I bought by chance, if I remember the price wasn't to bad. Ordered it online from Sportsman Warehouse and picked up in store on our way out of town.