Launch Member

Advocate III

Gonzales, La
First Name
Nick
Last Name
deVeer
Member #

I convinced my wife that starting a YouTube channel was a great idea and bought a Pansonic G9 to compliment our G85 and lenses that we already had for it. Also grabbed me a new Viair 300P and one of those Android head units with the huge screen so I can run GaiaGPS without a tablet.

What's funny is that I'm spending so much less on gas, eating out, and entertainment that it's kind of a wash with these larger purchases

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Thought I had better check in, the post waits for nobody ;)

I received the Milwaukee M18 blower/chainsaw pack with some beefier battery’s. Both work great and are in the “overlanding pile”. Blower is a treat for desert camping cleanup and wet wood fire starter.
Also got a lil buddy heater for the wife’s comfort. Did a burn off yesterday and am impressed!
Diff breather extension kit arrived and will sit for a bit, got one of those fancy air down tools as well. No more poking the valve with a key for this guy!

Talking about the lack of JKU space and camping with the family @Heidi said I need one of those roof rack things. Mwahahaha! Just resting on the sweet sweet approval for the time being.

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
What's funny is that I'm spending so much less on gas, eating out, and entertainment that it's kind of a wash with these larger purchases
Totally with you on that! Bought a gift for a friend and justified the purchase with “gas savings” :)

We are heading to the woods next weekend and I hope to take advantage of lower fuel prices, maybe I’ll even run supreme! Fuel is extra expensive in the Seattle area so I’m looking forward to see the current price at the pump in more rural areas.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Thought I had better check in, the post waits for nobody ;)

I received the Milwaukee M18 blower/chainsaw pack with some beefier battery’s. Both work great and are in the “overlanding pile”. Blower is a treat for desert camping cleanup and wet wood fire starter.
Also got a lil buddy heater for the wife’s comfort. Did a burn off yesterday and am impressed!
Diff breather extension kit arrived and will sit for a bit, got one of those fancy air down tools as well. No more poking the valve with a key for this guy!

Talking about the lack of JKU space and camping with the family @Heidi said I need one of those roof rack things. Mwahahaha! Just resting on the sweet sweet approval for the time being.
I am starting to like the idea of a battery powered chainsaw. I recently bought a Craftsman 20v tool kit. So now I have two 2amp/hr batteries and two 4 amp/hr batteries.

Reactions: Ubiety and Downs

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I am starting to like the idea of a battery powered chainsaw. I recently bought a Craftsman 20v tool kit. So now I have two 2amp/hr batteries and two 4 amp/hr batteries.
Taking it with me next weekend for an outing to the woods; will let you know my impressions. Chewed through a cherry log in the backyard with a quickness. Will see how battery endurance vs charge time goes. Got mine with a blower in a bonus pack, blower is awesome for desert camping cleanup and starting fires.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Taking it with me next weekend for an outing to the woods; will let you know my impressions. Chewed through a cherry log in the backyard with a quickness. Will see how battery endurance vs charge time goes. Got mine with a blower in a bonus pack, blower is awesome for desert camping cleanup and starting fires.
Take the big batteries if you do. The saw will eat the lower end batteries for lunch but longevity was excellent with the 12Ah HO battery.

Reactions: Ubiety

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Post and let us know how it works. I have a ton of Milwaukee 18v tools so a chainsaw would be a good addition. I bought the Harbor Freight Lynxx 40v chainsaw and really like it, but if the Milwaukee chainsaw is good, I'll get it to take with me on trips and use the HF one around the house. Just wondering how it is with batteries....going with 18v versus 40v means it will need to eat more current and more than likely devour a 5ah battery pretty quick

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I used my craftsman 20V saw for about an hour condensing my burn pile into more of a pile. I'd make a cut and toss it onto the pile, make another cut and toss it, so on and so on. Largest things cut with it was multiple cuts on a 9 inch diameter tree. I used the larger battery pack. The smaller 1.5aH batteries I no longer use for my sawsall, chainsaw, pole saw, and a little circular saw, I use those for the drill and a little on the weedeater and only use the larger ones on the saws.

Reactions: Ubiety and grubworm

James.Laidlaw

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Maineville, OH, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Laidlaw
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC7LTK
My pandemic purchases were quite extensive - some overlanding related, some not. I did pick up a new Gazelle T4 Hub in Sage Green as well as too many camping-related upgrades from Amazon to mention. The biggest thing I did (remotely overlanding related as it helps organize all my gear) was a total garage renovation where I added the Gladiator Gear Walls, shelves, cabinets and workbench I went from bare stud walls to a nice place to work on my FJC as well as stow all of my gear between trips. Progress pics on my Insta for those that are super bored or looking for ideas (still a work in progress).

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

New truck (2020 Gladiator) right before the stay home order so mostly just getting it in order...
  • RLD cap which is currently 6 weeks late and stuck at the SA port
  • Full OEM LED converstion (headlights pending backorder) because it wasn't available to me alongside the max tow package when I was shopping
  • Magnaflow exhaust to shave a chunk of weight and a bit more sound
  • Rubicon take-off front bumper so I can clear the 35" KO2's
  • Fox steering stabilizer because Jeep Things (TM)
  • Factory aux switches with a chopped harness to feed the circuits I want instead of the 15/15/40/40 amp factory split. I'll have all 10awg with 30/30/30/60 this evening when it's done and I can add additional circuits if I need them.
  • Goose Gear passenger rear seat delete for cargo
  • 80A interior fuse block to feed my dual band and a few power points inside the truck
  • Bracket for my kenwood dual band under the seat and a new antenna
  • Spare tire bracket so I can store it up against the cab under the cap
For non-truck stuff it's just a Garmin inReach for peace of mind. Couldn't pass up 30% off.

Pretty good for the last 2 months I guess... now I just need a chance to get out and use it.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
New truck (2020 Gladiator) right before the stay home order so mostly just getting it in order...
  • Full OEM LED converstion (headlights pending backorder) because it wasn't available to me alongside the max tow package when I was shopping
  • Factory aux switches with a chopped harness to feed the circuits I want instead of the 15/15/40/40 amp factory split. I'll have all 10awg with 30/30/30/60 this evening when it's done and I can add additional circuits if I need them.
  • 80A interior fuse block to feed my dual band and a few power points inside the truck
For non-truck stuff it's just a Garmin inReach for peace of mind. Couldn't pass up 30% off.

Pretty good for the last 2 months I guess... now I just need a chance to get out and use it.
sounds pretty impressive...got any pics? bet the 35s look great on it

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

sounds pretty impressive...got any pics? bet the 35s look great on it
Wheels (also Rubicon take-offs) are at the tire shop right now ... still missing half the dash because the harness tape won't be here until tomorrow to finish off the electrical and I'll grab them shortly after. Definitely going to post some pics on the next break-in trip though.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

I made the play to trade the JKU in for a pandemic deal Gladiator but was shut down out of the gate by my sweety ;) Congrats! A buddy has one and I like it!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Take the big batteries if you do. The saw will eat the lower end batteries for lunch but longevity was excellent with the 12Ah HO battery.
Got a couple of the 8ah batteries and have a couple small ones that came with the drill motor and impact driver. Sent the boy out with the blower and a small battery and he was back within 15 minutes... I'm interested to see if the single battery charger can keep up during heavy use. So far I like it, will know more this weekend.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Post and let us know how it works. I have a ton of Milwaukee 18v tools so a chainsaw would be a good addition. I bought the Harbor Freight Lynxx 40v chainsaw and really like it, but if the Milwaukee chainsaw is good, I'll get it to take with me on trips and use the HF one around the house. Just wondering how it is with batteries....going with 18v versus 40v means it will need to eat more current and more than likely devour a 5ah battery pretty quick
We shall see! Heading out to the woods this weekend and will be gathering camp fire wood and doing some tree/trail maintenance. Have a couple other gas saws along. Will be a good proof run!

Reactions: M Rose

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I made the play to trade the JKU in for a pandemic deal Gladiator but was shut down out of the gate by my sweety ;) Congrats! A buddy has one and I like it!
I dumped my Tacoma for this one and the deal was too good to pass up with the complaints I had on the Tacoma (primarily rated payload and some weird surging issues nobody would fix). We laid the ground rules for numbers that I never expected them to remotely hit but I basically walked away losing less than $4k on a 2-year old Tacoma (from my paid price including taxes) and got like 17% off sticker on the Gladiator with an excellent rate.

I'm loving it so far but haven't really pushed it at all. We had a long trip planned and should have been in AZ literally right now but there will be time later in the year.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I dumped my Tacoma for this one and the deal was too good to pass up with the complaints I had on the Tacoma (primarily rated payload and some weird surging issues nobody would fix). We laid the ground rules for numbers that I never expected them to remotely hit but I basically walked away losing less than $4k on a 2-year old Tacoma (from my paid price including taxes) and got like 17% off sticker on the Gladiator with an excellent rate.

I'm loving it so far but haven't really pushed it at all. We had a long trip planned and should have been in AZ literally right now but there will be time later in the year.
My buddy is having fun with his and I really like it a lot more than I thought I would. I'm loving the JKU though so will wait for another opportunity, no hurry.

Near Cel Elum WA
1589942149866.png