Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So we can't hang out with our buddies, we can't go exploring, the garage is cleaned, tools are organized, mowed the lawn, cleaned the windows, washed out the gutters, waxed the truck, changed the oil, sharpened the axe, and the chainsaw, planned several future trips, read a book cover to cover, binged netflix, caught up on all youtube videos, .......

Now What?! Going crazy.....Oh I know,....I need to buy something, I don't know what it is yet, but I need it....."It will occupy my time", I will tell my wife.

Ahh,....This will do the trick!...
Capture.PNG

Am I the only one?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
im thinking the same. either something like that or a drone. not sure the learning curve on a drone, but i'm sure i can handle something that stays on the ground plus it would be fun to chase our chickens with! :grinning:

WrongTurn

Rank II

Enthusiast III

DRC
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Allen
im thinking the same. either something like that or a drone. not sure the learning curve on a drone, but i'm sure i can handle something that stays on the ground plus it would be fun to chase our chickens with! :grinning:
Depending on hat drone you buy they are a piece of cake to fly. I have a mavic pro, fly it no issues starting with no experience. although getting the filming techniques smooth is taking some effort.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Depending on hat drone you buy they are a piece of cake to fly. I have a mavic pro, fly it no issues starting with no experience. although getting the filming techniques smooth is taking some effort.
i would LOVE to get one for aerial filming. i'll check out the mavic ...thanks for the post!

WrongTurn

Rank II

Enthusiast III

DRC
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Allen
i would LOVE to get one for aerial filming. i'll check out the mavic ...thanks for the post!
you can pick up used ones for decent prices and they are pretty simple to repair if they say the gimbal is broken as its ussually the cable. I have crashed mine doing 40kmh into rocks, picked it up replaced 2 broken rotors and was flying ten minutes later. tough units.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@PNW EXPLR Mike you missed it... In February my wife brought her Overlander rig to the Tri-Cities meetup. We have 2 Cross RC Deamons. Next on our list is a pair of RC4wd Scouts. I’m trying to stay away from anything Horizon Hobby puts out other than the DX5 Rugged TX....

Right now @KRose is using a Spectrum DX5C TX... And it blows away my cheap Tactic 300. The night and day difference between the DX5c and the Tactic is the same proportions to the DX5 Rugged in comparison to the DX5C.
DX5C

DX5 Rugged

Kennewick Hosts scale crawling competitions that look like they would be fun to engage in.
I say get the Scout and report back. With how you like it.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So we can't hang out with our buddies, we can't go exploring, the garage is cleaned, tools are organized, mowed the lawn, cleaned the windows, washed out the gutters, waxed the truck, changed the oil, sharpened the axe, and the chainsaw, planned several future trips, read a book cover to cover, binged netflix, caught up on all youtube videos, .......

Now What?! Going crazy.....Oh I know,....I need to buy something, I don't know what it is yet, but I need it....."It will occupy my time", I will tell my wife.

Ahh,....This will do the trick!...
View attachment 147597

Am I the only one?
Mike, do you know if the scout has a lexon body?

Reactions: eagle_A40

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Mike, do you know if the scout has a lexon body?
Yes it does. There is a cheaper version as well. Different electronics but full hard top. You can find them on Redcat Racing s website.

Reactions: M Rose

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ive got a medium sized drone with a camera id sell you for cheap if your ever near dfw, i bought it to chase my barn cats away from the road. By the time it arrived in the mail the gov was wanting to make me get a license for it. Ive only flown it 4-5 times. It has a button you push on the remote and it follows you around, and a button that makes it do a back flip for some reason. Great for a beginner i think i payed $100 or so for it a few years back, id take $40. Will take pics this afternoon if interested

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Ive got a medium sized drone with a camera id sell you for cheap if your ever near dfw, i bought it to chase my barn cats away from the road. By the time it arrived in the mail the gov was wanting to make me get a license for it. Ive only flown it 4-5 times. It has a button you push on the remote and it follows you around, and a button that makes it do a back flip for some reason. Great for a beginner i think i payed $100 or so for it a few years back, id take $40. Will take pics this afternoon if interested
cool. thanks but i already ordered one online last night. 4K camera and brushless motors for $130. guess thats good.
the wife LOVES waterfalls and we did a trip a few months back to north Georgia which is chock full of falls and of course had to do some climbing to get good pics and that is when i first thought about how nice a drone would be saving me a lot of climbing and hiking. we did the Talullah falls which was over 1000 stairs to go up...1000 stairs to climb for a pic of a waterfall. a drone would have paid for itself on that alone...!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

cool. thanks but i already ordered one online last night. 4K camera and brushless motors for $130. guess thats good.
the wife LOVES waterfalls and we did a trip a few months back to north Georgia which is chock full of falls and of course had to do some climbing to get good pics and that is when i first thought about how nice a drone would be saving me a lot of climbing and hiking. we did the Talullah falls which was over 1000 stairs to go up...1000 stairs to climb for a pic of a waterfall. a drone would have paid for itself on that alone...!
10-4

Reactions: LostInThought

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Orrrrrr, you can use it to tease the alligators and cat.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yes it does. There is a cheaper version as well. Different electronics but full hard top. You can find them on Redcat Racing s website.
I don’t go cheap with RC... I made that mistake with my first (and last) Basher.... I ended up upgrading every part on it because it broke... I put close to 2 grand into it over the corse of a year... I put the same amount into 2 crawlers fir the initial build, after 2 years and accessories, I’m into them for 2500.
I’m going to go check the Scout out again... Lexan bodies are a deal breaker for me personally, they don’t hold up well to roll overs.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So I felt a little guilty with my recent purchase. I bought myself a toy, but my son is back home, itching to ride his dirt bike, but I've restricted him from riding due to the virus. The last thing we need is to take him to the hospital for a broken bone.
So I thought he need something to occupy some time, and it's not another computer game......
media_db131a05-e7bb-4cba-8f19-ece0b004b524.jpg
Now when I get home we can play together!

Last edited:

OVRLNDER

US East Region Member Rep, NY
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orchard Park, NY, USA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Pigeon
Member #

Been tempted to buy a drone. I've been contemplating it for a while. Even trying to persuade my decision by telling myself I could use it for firefighting and search and rescue. But to be honest I probably wont use it much after all this.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Been tempted to buy a drone. I've been contemplating it for a while. Even trying to persuade my decision by telling myself I could use it for firefighting and search and rescue. But to be honest I probably wont use it much after all this.
I also thought about a drone. But with all the current restrictions I figured we would get more use (fun) with the RC rigs. Plus we live within 5 miles of KPSC airport so a no fly zone!