Launch Member

Traveler III

Owens Cross Roads, Madison County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Looks great! Did your rig originally have running boards? If so did you just remove them or remove them and find a prado piece at the bottom?

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app
Yea it did. I removed the running boards then trimmed a small piece off the forward edge to place back on and help clean it up a bit.

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Got my new FJ Cruiser wheels on this weekend. These are a perfect fit for the GX as they look good and help gain 15mm of offset back. The stance is so much better. They will eventually be powder coated somewhere between hyper silver and black but they'll stay aluminum for awhile at least.

FJ Wheels.jpg

eloist

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nashville
I saw a killer white GX470 on franklin Rd in Brentwood this morning. Wondered if it was you.
It had an awning and RTT if i remember correctly, and a GXOR.com sticker on the back driver side window.

Really enjoying the build by the way.

Reactions: MagnoliaOverland

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I saw a killer white GX470 on franklin Rd in Brentwood this morning. Wondered if it was you.
It had an awning and RTT if i remember correctly, and a GXOR.com sticker on the back driver side window.

Really enjoying the build by the way.
It was probably me or my wife. We both work in Brentwood but I let her drive it 90% of the time as she works from home mostly. Trying to keep the wear and tear down. I don't have a RTT but have foxwing awning and the gxor sticker in that place.

Thanks! The stance and look has really improved since I threw on the FJ cruiser wheels. Next step will be slightly more lift in the front and 285's

overl4nd

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clara, California
Member #

This is a very nice build.
I am also looking at doing a suspension upgrade since the rear shocks/dampers have all but failed. Surprisingly, the airbags at 165000 miles are still doing fine. That said, I have decided to do the conversion, and will be going for the OME kit.
Bilsteins look interesting, but I believe the ride is a bit harder, right?
I plan to lift a little bit so that 255/75r17 can fit.
I really want the 255/80r17, but there are too few options in that range. Any pointers and suggestions regarding tire sizes. Do not want to go wider due to fuel economy, and most of the "overland" stuff will be on snow and trails anyways!

Mima

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Evergreen, Colorado, United States
First Name
Taylor
Last Name
Shenkman
Member #

This is a very nice build.
I am also looking at doing a suspension upgrade since the rear shocks/dampers have all but failed. Surprisingly, the airbags at 165000 miles are still doing fine. That said, I have decided to do the conversion, and will be going for the OME kit.
Bilsteins look interesting, but I believe the ride is a bit harder, right?
I plan to lift a little bit so that 255/75r17 can fit.
I really want the 255/80r17, but there are too few options in that range. Any pointers and suggestions regarding tire sizes. Do not want to go wider due to fuel economy, and most of the "overland" stuff will be on snow and trails anyways!
I run Toyo Open Country AT 2's in 255/80r17 on stock wheels and am extremely happy. Quiet, smooth, and plenty of traction. She also sits on a Toytec Boss 2.5 lift.

Attachments

Reactions: overl4nd

cosmoblu

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Olive Branch, MS
Member #

Just installed my rack. Nice build. I am in Memphis, new this area would like to meet up sometime not sure what part of the state you are in. I have done parts of the GA traverse and Hawks Pride OHV park in Alabama.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Chris Carden

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Nashville, TN
Member #

New to Overland Bound! I just joined. I am starting a GX470 build and found this thread. Looking good. I am in Nashville. If you are free for coffee one day, I would like to see your GX

ConcordCarlos

Rank 0

Traveler I

Would you mind posting a picture or two of the ditch light brackets where they mount under the hood? I have a pair and it seems that the bolt pattern of the hood bracket just doesn’t match the bracket bolts.

QUOTE="OverlandLexusAL, post: 108205, member: 8187"]Installed CBI Fabrication ditch light brackets and a pair of Rigid Duallys (Flood). There were a few wiring gremlins but about 6 fuses later they are working great.

Can you post a picture or two of the bracket attached to the hood support? I have a pair of the

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk[/QUOTE]
Installed CBI Fabrication ditch light brackets and a pair of Rigid Duallys (Flood). There were a few wiring gremlins but about 6 fuses later they are working great.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
can you post a picture of how the ditch brackets mount under the hood?
There is a guy in GXOR (facebook group for GX Off Road) you should check out. He is working on a 460 and it looks pretty sweet with lift and tires.