Traveler III

Owens Cross Roads, Madison County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Hello all!

This will not be a "everything at once" build so this page may be updated slowly but I figured this was a good place even for myself to track complete jobs. I look forward to sharing with everyone the build that I am having so much fun with.

The main purpose of this build will me to not only be my daily driver most of the time but also be a tough, versatile, and reliable mode of trustworthy for my young families travel and adventure. It is a 2009 Lexus GX470 that I purchased with 118,000 miles on it. I'll be including not only the fun stuff but the bad stuff too along with prices in order to help give someone a better idea if considering a build like this.

The vehicle was purchased in September of 2016 and was a one owner in great overall shape. The timing belt had however not been changed at the required 90,000 mile service so that was the first order of business. The radiator which is known to leak and go bad on these vehicles was replaced by the dealer I purchased it from so that's new.

Dec 2016 - Timing Belt, Water Bump, Belts and Oil Change (Lexus Dealership) - $1,153.65

Here we go!

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Still trying to get an overall plan together for this truck. I have a 12 month old daughter and we are expecting our son to arrive any day now so his will be slow going for awhile.

Jan 2016 - K&N Air Filter Installed - $50.99
Jan 2017 - License Plate Bulbs replaced with LED - $24.99
Jan 2017 - Lexus Dealership performed drain & flush on Transmission at 125,000ish miles along with oil change - $700.00

Last edited:
Reactions: roamingram44

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Mar 2017 - The patch collection has begun! Located on the sunroof cover for now. - $$$$
Mar 2017 - Installed Calais (Extremely Bright) H3 30W 1200LM LED Fog Light Bulbs - $21.99
Mar 2017 - 265/70/17 BF Goodrich KO2's Mounted and Installed - $1,200.00
Mar2017 - Installed OPT7 Fluxbeam LED Low Beams. -$99.99

Stock graphite rims are staying on for now. I just really like the look of them with KO2's. It's a great mix I think. I could see myself having TRD Pro rims down the road but that's WAY down the list. 3.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

Last edited:

codesertrat

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

Very nice start. I am trying to get the wife to let me start doing more to her GX470. These things are incredibly fun and capable in stock form. look forward to seeing the progress

Reactions: MagnoliaOverland

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Very nice start. I am trying to get the wife to let me start doing more to her GX470. These things are incredibly fun and capable in stock form. look forward to seeing the progress
Thanks! The goal isn't to go real huge with lift and tires but instead spend money on conveniences along with front and rear locker making it triple locked. It should be a traction tank with triple lock and/or atracs.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

codesertrat

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

Thanks! The goal isn't to go real huge with lift and tires but instead spend money on conveniences along with front and rear locker making it triple locked. It should be a traction tank with triple lock and/or atracs.

Going triple locked basically makes it into a Prado. Are you thinking air or e locker?

Reactions: tbisaacs

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I'm really digging these lexus build ups

Sent from my SM-G360P using OB Talk mobile app
I'll be honest I was not thinking about doing a build with this vehicle when I bought it. The plan was for my wife to drive it and I was going to look for a Tacoma or T4R. I started seeing a lot about different GX builds and became inspired. It's really a comfortable and capable vehicle and that's part of the reason I want to stay away from regearing for 35's as some others have done. I want to keep some of the comfortability and it is a daily driver after all.

The base is very very solid with a great frame and one of the better Toyota engines out there.

Reactions: Outdoordog

codesertrat

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

I bought my GX470 as a daily so I didn't add unneeded wear and tear on my T4R but I found myself wanting to take it exploring more often. Really looking forward to seeing where this build goes to give me more ideas

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: zonacpa

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

I love where this is headed. Are you taking inspiration from the Aussies and the huge amount of experience and aftermarket parts they have available?

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I love where this is headed. Are you taking inspiration from the Aussies and the huge amount of experience and aftermarket parts they have available?

I've certainly gotten alot of ideas from that corner of the globe including the Prado itself. The problem being that some Prado parts aren't direct bolt ons. This leads me to still have many things up in the air such as my front bumper. I initially wanted a Prado ARB but it's not a direct fit and does require some body trimming but thankfully there are some other US people that are manufacturing bumpers for the GX like MetalTech4x4 and Southern Style Offroad.

I'm leaning towards the SSO Front Bumper. The rear is looking like a Wilco Offroad Hitch Swing out Tire Carrier for to save on weight and $$$.

DSC_0008-500x332.jpg

Reactions: TAMOE

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

I've certainly gotten alot of ideas from that corner of the globe including the Prado itself. The problem being that some Prado parts aren't direct bolt ons. This leads me to still have many things up in the air such as my front bumper. I initially wanted a Prado ARB but it's not a direct fit and does require some body trimming but thankfully there are some other US people that are manufacturing bumpers for the GX like MetalTech4x4 and Southern Style Offroad.

I'm leaning towards the SSO Front Bumper. The rear is looking like a Wilco Offroad Hitch Swing out Tire Carrier for to save on weight and $$$.
I like the way ARB mounts a winch. I threaten my wife with an Aussie front end swap on our GX460...

That shnoz...

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I like the way ARB mounts a winch. I threaten my wife with an Aussie front end swap on our GX460...

That shnoz...

There is a guy in GXOR (facebook group for GX Off Road) you should check out. He is working on a 460 and it looks pretty sweet with lift and tires.

Reactions: Anders0nic