Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Champlin, Hennepin County, Minnesota, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Beglinger
Member #

I'm subscribing to this thread! Just picked up a used 2006 GX460 this past weekend with 121k miles on it. I've had my eye on a 4R / GX470 for a few months now, and finally ditched my JKUR as it just wasn't enough space for the family and I was tired of white knuckling it every time there was a slight breeze. My GX is thankfully in great mechanical shape, belt service done right at 90k, under the hood it looks like a brand new vehicle, no rust anywhere to speak of. The leather seats, now they show wear :( I generally don't buy used, but I have so much confidence in the drivetrain and platform that I'm not worried. Last night we replaced the plugs, over the next week I'll be doing the diffs, transfer case/center diff, and transmission. I've also ordered a kit that allows for Bluetooth music streaming by unplugging the CD player and plugging in a BT receiver on the back of the radio. I've been so impressed with the motor, so smooth and powerful.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: SeattleStew

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I also subscribe to and support the concept of a daily driver mild build. That is one reason that I haven't pulled the trigger on front or rear steel bumpers. The amount of weight that it requires is just too much for me to justify. I know the LR4 is quite a bit different than the gx470, but it does share some of the philosophy IMO.

I think the tires and maybe some sliders for break over situations are pretty reasonable. They double as side steps after all. I went with roll out cases rather than a permanent drawer system. Roof rack project for all the gear for a long trip, but in the end I have tried to keep it daily drive friendly. I feel like the moment you have massive lifts, steel bumpers and HiLift jacks hanging off a rig, its no longer really an incognito daily driver.

Look forward to seeing your choices. The young kids aspect is also a neat element to this. I started my 2013 LR4 build when my kids were 2 and 3.

Reactions: minnesotamatt

pruittaw

Rank 0

Contributor I

GoPro Mount! I wanted it to be hidden when the camera is removed and the only way to do that was have camera be upside down. Hopefully there editing software or camera settings allow me to flip the image:..

GoPro cameras have an internal setting in the menu to flip the image prior to recording. Also, good editing software can flip it as well.

-Tony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MagnoliaOverland

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Owens Cross Roads, Madison County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Just ordered Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Ride Height Front and Rear Shocks and Front Strut Mount Kits. I just need to order the Toytec/Eibach 620lb Springs and Toytec "Superflex" Rear Coils then we'll be about ready to lift this rig. These front springs are a tad heavier but the Prado's oem front springs are 605lbs so I figure that's close enough. The overall goal is about 1.5-2 in lift but more importantly (level!!!!). This stuff won't be in until later next week and the wife and I are scheduled to welcome our baby boy next week as well so it will be some time before I get around to install.

More soon to come...

Reactions: Justin Forrest

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

Just ordered Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Ride Height Front and Rear Shocks and Front Strut Mount Kits. I just need to order the Toytec/Eibach 620lb Springs and Toytec "Superflex" Rear Coils then we'll be about ready to lift this rig. These front springs are a tad heavier but the Prado's oem front springs are 605lbs so I figure that's close enough. The overall goal is about 1.5-2 in lift but more importantly (level!!!!). This stuff won't be in until later next week and the wife and I are scheduled to welcome our baby boy next week as well so it will be some time before I get around to install.

More soon to come...
Oh man congratulations on the coming edition. Have you done the car seat mod yet. It's a pretty important one. IMG_1233.JPG

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Oh man congratulations on the coming edition. Have you done the car seat mod yet. It's a pretty important one. View attachment 18475
Hah yea it is! It is my second so I'm running out of room for car seats! I was actually considering building some storage drawers in the back seat between the two car seats. Storage and separation. Win win!

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

That's great idea on the storage/divider. We have a 3 month old also. 2 boys on long road trips. I hope they are better behaved than my brother and I were.

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Let me know what you think about these. Need to get brakes for the wife's soom

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Drove around a fair bit yesterday during the "break in" process and I'm pretty impressed thus far. I haven't done the fronts yet but it already seems to be much improved stopping power. No squeaks or noises whatsoever which is surprising considering this was the first time I've ever worked on brakes. I was pretty surprised I didn't screw it up.

Rotors were fairly easy to pop off using two 8mmx1.25 bolts and cranking down on them until it pops. Just remember to release the E brake so you can pull it off.

Few of the caliper retaining bolts were seized on but nothing PB Blaster and some muscle couldn't solve.

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Suspension parts starting to arrive! Bilstein 5100's front and rear. I may go ahead and install the rear shocks tomorrow however I'm still waiting on Front and rear springs along with airbag delete kit.

Anyone know of any reason why I should wait and do it all at once?

Last edited:
Reactions: codesertrat

roamingram44

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bowling green ky
Member #

Suspension parts starting to arrive! Bilstein 5100's front and rear. I may go ahead and install the rear shocks tomorrow however I'm still waiting on Front and rear springs along with airbag delete kit.

Anyone know of any reason why I should wait and do it all at once?

Ive got these on the front of my truck and the diffrence is night and day. I havent got onto the rear yet (saving for progressive springs) that being said doing one half first should be fine

Member #4113

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Awesome Lexus! I live in Columbia and hope to see you out sometime! Currently in a TJ and debating on gx or xterra for my next vehicle. Looking forward to following this thread.

Awesome! There's beginning to be a strong group of us in this area. We are hoping for a get together soon however I have a newborn at home so it could be some time for me.

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

What happens when you believe the interwebs and you find out the hard way that a 33" tire won't actually fit up under your GX?IMG_0131.JPGyou call your Ironworker buddy to make magic happen. I just made this for a friend. It will bolt in place of one of the 3rd row jump seats. It's the last time he will do something on his GX without personally verifying it will work.

MagnoliaOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

What happens when you believe the interwebs and you find out the hard way that a 33" tire won't actually fit up under your GX?View attachment 19115you call your Ironworker buddy to make magic happen. I just made this for a friend. It will bolt in place of one of the 3rd row jump seats. It's the last time he will do something on his GX without personally verifying it will work.
Haha nice! I'm considering the Wilco Off-road Swing out Hitch Carrier for the spare.