Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

Thanks for the article and it's interesting to see how gear is evolving. Our focus in the past was backpacking so all our camping gear is as light and compact as we could afford to make it.

I've been trying to apply that same focus on lightweight bang-for-the-buck in the overlanding but the use needs of the equipment make it a big more difficult :)

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Im trying to figure out a use for a shorter maxx trac. I carry 2 as it is and have wished for 4. Most of the time when I've had to use them, I need to get a little ground speed before hitting the surface again. The smaller ones look like I would just end up back where I started. Ive used mine in mud, snow and sand.
I understand the small footprint for storage idea but, in my opinion some things shouldn't be made smaller.
They would look cool on a small vehicle roof rack though.

Scott

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Finally after 20 plus years I broke down and bought a set of TREDs three years ago. Previously I used all the other tools aboard to extract myself. I'll admit, digging out is a lot of work, at my age, so I when I use them I'm grateful for the labor saving device that they are. Short ones? I don't see the sense in them so it may be another 20 or so years until I do.

Reactions: RickLB and smritte

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Finally after 20 plus years I broke down and bought a set of TREDs three years ago. Previously I used all the other tools aboard to extract myself. I'll admit, digging out is a lot of work, at my age, so I when I use them I'm grateful for the labor saving device that they are. Short ones? I don't see the sense in them so it may be another 20 or so years until I do.
A long time ago, I carried two pieces of Marston mat. I wish we had something small and light then.

Scott

Reactions: MOAK

EJD

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oregon Coast Range, Oregon, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'm considering the small maxtrax for my Jeep TJ. Space is extremely limited and I always like the idea of carrying traction boards but could never justify carrying 4 foot ones...this may be the answer! Hopefully half the size means half the cost too.

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

I saw a video by Sir William Goes on YouTube about ActionTrax. I liked the story of them. I have never owned Maxtrax and do not deny they look like they work really well. However I ordered up some of these due to the story.

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Reactions: Stepsride

Rx4Fun

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Visalia, CA, USA
Member #

A long time ago, I carried two pieces of Marston mat. I wish we had something small and light then.

Scott
Funny how age makes us smarter!

Reactions: smritte

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
I have successfully avoided purchasing MaxTrax or similar for many years, relying on other means to extricate myself. However in the mud at Overland Expo last fall, the tire tracks into the camping area became so deep I could NOT get my front tires to steer out of the deep valley. Finally a good Samaritan arrived with his MaxTrax and I "walked" right out, eezy peezy. I bought two of them the next day.
Similarly one can often get by w/o a winch; hey it's easy to justify avoiding the expense, weight, etc, BUT when occasionally you definitely do you need one, you REALLY need one since depending on the circumstances, and there really are no other options in some circumstances.
When it comes time that you need MaxTrax or similar I think short ones are "cutsey" but size does matter in most situations when you need a MaxTrax.
P.S. I probably should have purchased 4 of them!

Reactions: smritte

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

Not sure I get short MaxTrax but I do get the smaller and lighter is better mindset. As a former backpacker who only does car camping now, I still try to keep that backpacking mindset and keep my gear simple and light where practical.

Yeti adVANtures

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

La Pine, OR, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Tuttle
Member #

These seem a little silly and small. Sometimes a couple extra inches is what it takes to get er’ over the hill. A couple extra inches of traction can make a big difference.

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Thanks for the article and it\'s interesting to see how gear is evolving. Our focus in the past was backpacking so all our camping gear is as light and compact as we could afford to make it.

I\'ve been trying to apply that same focus on lightweight bang-for-the-buck in the overlanding but the use needs of the equipment make it a big more difficult :)
Lighter is always good. We’re also backpackers so we appreciate how extra weight affects the truck. So many people bring so much more than is needed just because the rig allows them to.