Overlanding Gear Report: Smaller is Better | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Overlanding Gear Report: Smaller is Better

Discussion in 'General Overland Discussion' started by Forge Overland, Nov 6, 2018.

Hi Guest, Become a Member to gain access to the Member Forums, Member Map, Member Calendar of Events, and Rally Point overland trip planner! Click this link "Learn More" for more information!
  1. Gryf

Gryf Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Thanks for the article and it's interesting to see how gear is evolving. Our focus in the past was backpacking so all our camping gear is as light and compact as we could afford to make it.

I've been trying to apply that same focus on lightweight bang-for-the-buck in the overlanding but the use needs of the equipment make it a big more difficult :)

Jku Ben, William M. W. and TerryD like this.
  2. OutOfStep

OutOfStep Rank IV

Member #:

Map
  3. smritte

smritte Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Im trying to figure out a use for a shorter maxx trac. I carry 2 as it is and have wished for 4. Most of the time when I've had to use them, I need to get a little ground speed before hitting the surface again. The smaller ones look like I would just end up back where I started. Ive used mine in mud, snow and sand.
    I understand the small footprint for storage idea but, in my opinion some things shouldn't be made smaller.
    They would look cool on a small vehicle roof rack though.

Scott

Arailt and Lindenwood like this.
  4. ridgerunner84

ridgerunner84 Rank 0

Map
    Cool stuff. It's amazing how things advance to be stronger and lighter.

5. MOAK

MOAK Rank V

Member #:

Map
    Finally after 20 plus years I broke down and bought a set of TREDs three years ago. Previously I used all the other tools aboard to extract myself. I'll admit, digging out is a lot of work, at my age, so I when I use them I'm grateful for the labor saving device that they are. Short ones? I don't see the sense in them so it may be another 20 or so years until I do.

RickLB and smritte like this.
  6. smritte

smritte Rank III

Member #:

Map
    A long time ago, I carried two pieces of Marston mat. I wish we had something small and light then.

Scott

MOAK likes this.
  7. Catdog

Catdog Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Great article! I'm always Interested in minimizing with good quality gear

8. EJD

EJD Rank I

Member #:

I'm considering the small maxtrax for my Jeep TJ. Space is extremely limited and I always like the idea of carrying traction boards but could never justify carrying 4 foot ones...this may be the answer! Hopefully half the size means half the cost too.

9. Stepsride

Stepsride Rank II

Member #:

Map
    I saw a video by Sir William Goes on YouTube about ActionTrax. I liked the story of them. I have never owned Maxtrax and do not deny they look like they work really well. However I ordered up some of these due to the story.