Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vernon, BC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Buell
Member #

This our trailer, the design is bit different than what most you guys have shared.

Fitted with Km2

The tent folds out, we can carry 100ltr of water
The King side bed is on top of the trailer with plenty of room for the kids on the floor area. The tailgate opens out for the kitchen. It suspension is greaseable shackles with leaf springs.

Cheers

Sent from my D5833 using Overland Bound Talk mobile app
Very similar to the Kakadu! Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: WillyGoat

rdk13

Rank 0

Traveler I

Thought you folks might enjoy watching the transformation of an old M416 Trailer

View attachment 15487

Poor old girl. I have had her for over 20 years and it was time to put some TLC into her.

View attachment 15489

Taken apart and ready for sanding. That's Leo guarding the build. Oh, ignore my driveway, it takes a beating.

View attachment 15491

I've got to get a new bed. I hauled 2 tons of gravel in this trailer. Dad said the rule of thumb in the military was, if it fits - haul it.

View attachment 15490

New bed welded in.

View attachment 15493

New tailgate built and ready for coating

View attachment 15494

Frame is ready. Used chassis paint from Eastwood.

View attachment 15496
Bed is ready. Used primer from Eastwood. If you havent visited Eastwood's site you really need to. Their products are top quality.

View attachment 15497

Sprayed entire bed with bed liner. Used Monstaliner, it's tintable. Easy to apply but cures FAST. Be absolutely ready to start applying the coating before mixing the catalyst.

View attachment 15498

And there she is completed. Go Hoosiers!! Forgot to mention, changed the tail lights to LED with backup lights. Used an LED housing for a commercial truck to mount them with. Drilled holes into the side of the housings and placed marker lights in the holes. Welded tubes into the interior of the bed for wiring the lights. The new wiring follows the C channel of the frame all the way back. The wiring is totally protected from the trail. Changed the wiring out to a 7 wire. Have a wiring breakout box on the tongue to pull the hot circuit from to eventually power 12V devices in the trailer.
Very nice!! I have a M416 I have been working on for a couple of years. Just can't be beat!

Reactions: WillyGoat

w_m_photo

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Gahanna, OH
First Name
Walt
Last Name
Middleton
Member #

So, this is where I'm sitting... Currently.
The only issue I'm having is the trailer sits well below my JK...
I'm contemplating flipping the axle to underneath the leaf springs and putting a set of 35" tires on there to match the Jeep.
How do all of you feel about that? Pros? Cons?
WP_20140722_18_00_56_Pro.jpg WP_20140722_18_01_07_Pro.jpg

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

So, this is where I'm sitting... Currently.
The only issue I'm having is the trailer sits well below my JK...
I'm contemplating flipping the axle to underneath the leaf springs and putting a set of 35" tires on there to match the Jeep.
How do all of you feel about that? Pros? Cons?
View attachment 17838 View attachment 17839
I rotated my axle on my quad trailer to flip the leafs... worked ok until I bent the axle. Evidently there is a natural curvature to an axle with the curve going up a little bit. When I flipped it around the curve was down and thus weakened the axle in doing so.
Granted, I had the trailer maxed out and was dragging it over big rocks and down rock ledges....
When I got it replaced I got the trailer axle place to make me an axle with the mounts for the leaf springs on the top this time.... and also upgraded the leafs too (but that's a different story, lol).

Werner ZA

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

South Africa, Centurion
Member #

IMG_1376.JPG IMG_1378.JPG IMG_1327.JPG IMG_1319.JPG IMG_1304.JPG Hi all.

Thought I share some picks of our Rig and trailer.Still in the process of refinement!

Here in Africa you can not sleep on the ground, funny creatures roaming the countryside hahaha.

The Rig is self sustained and designed for stay, go, stay go and the dual battery can pull all our equipment for four night.

The trailer is when we want to stay for a week or longer at one place.

In total we can accommodate 6 people, nad carry 150L of water.Full kitchen and two fridge/freezers one in Rig and one in trailer.

Rig still needs bush bumper, winch, rocksliders, Tyre carrier.

I will send some actions picks soon.

Regards Werner.

Attachments

PNWInfernoPro

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Kirkland, WA
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Dear
Member #

View attachment 20091 View attachment 20090 View attachment 20089 View attachment 20088 View attachment 20087 Hi all.

Thought I share some picks of our Rig and trailer.Still in the process of refinement!

Here in Africa you can not sleep on the ground, funny creatures roaming the countryside hahaha.

The Rig is self sustained and designed for stay, go, stay go and the dual battery can pull all our equipment for four night.

The trailer is when we want to stay for a week or longer at one place.

In total we can accommodate 6 people, nad carry 150L of water.Full kitchen and two fridge/freezers one in Rig and one in trailer.

Rig still needs bush bumper, winch, rocksliders, Tyre carrier.

I will send some actions picks soon.

Regards Werner.
Impressive setup [emoji106]

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I've decided to start building these in our spare time if anyone is interested,
I might be interested! And you're reasonably close. I've considered the Hiker 4X8 Deluxe, and have been in conversations with Tennessee Trailer on developing a lighter duty version of their off-road trailer. I originally contacted them about building one of their kayak trailers with an enclosed box/body, and they decided to make a downsized version of their big off road instead. Waiting on ordering info and prices on that in the next couple of weeks.

I'll look for you on Instagram.

Reactions: Butt Hurt

Anchor Mtn

US Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fruita, Colorado
Member #

We build an Overland Utility Trailer modeled off of the old M416 military trailers. The tub is made on a CNC press brake to minimize welds and increase strength and rigidity. Using 12ga, powdercoated steel means this will last through a lifetime of abuse on the trail or worksite.
We have 2 more trailers in prototype/testing right now and hope to have them publicly available by next fall. I can do custom 1-off trailers as well.
OUT1.jpg

Charles_Alarie

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cotati, California
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Alarie
Member #

@Charles_Alarie You can't leave us hanging like that! We need details. :grinning:
:) Its a Dinoot trailer I just finished building and a Treeline Tamarack Constellation rtt. This was my 2nd trip out since finishing the build. It was one of the most enjoyable and painless do it yourself projects I have done for sure, the system is very well thought out. I believe it weighs about 485 lbs with the tent and unloaded which is more than light enough to tow behind my crosstrek. Just the tongue box, very handy!