Overland Trailers

• HTML tutorial

Rolf C-P

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK
Member #

Actually, looking into the pros/cons of independent trailer axles, I think I'm going to build it with Timbren 3500HD arms with the 4" lift and longer spindles to fit off road tires. This seems like the most heavy duty and lowest maintenance/worry free system to go with that will fit my design perfectly.

http://timbren.com/products-page/3500hd/asr35hds02/
Hi, I went for the Timbren system on The Escape Pod, 4" lift and long shafts as I am running 285/75/r16 tyres. Initially I was aiming for a light weight build so just went with the 1500ibs option but soon found that I was bottoming out the suspension. I have to say that Timbren were brilliant and supplied me with heavy duty rubber shocks foc. So far I have been really happy with the system, love the fact that it was so simple to fit and rides really well, although I do have to say that the off tarmac driving that I have done with it to date has all been relatively slow. It needs testing on extended fast dirt track. All that said I am looking at making a Mk2 trailer in 2017 and am looking at the idea of a coil over system, but that is more to do with the fact that it is difficult and not cost effective to fit electric brakes on a trailer in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Edgar Serra

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Puerto Rico
First Name
Edgar
Last Name
Serra
Member #

So quick question, I have several Offroading/ Overland vehicles and as of right now I'm finishing my trailer setup its a 1953 M100 trailer, but still need to change the tires... I have a 1985 Chevy K10 on 39's, a 2001 GMC Yukon on 35's and a 2014 Jeep JK on 33's.... not sure what tire size to go with for the trailer to fit them all, don't want run too big tires but surely don't wanna run em too small, What size you all think could be a good choice???
Thanks in advance
will post pics soon

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
So quick question, I have several Offroading/ Overland vehicles and as of right now I'm finishing my trailer setup its a 1953 M100 trailer, but still need to change the tires... I have a 1985 Chevy K10 on 39's, a 2001 GMC Yukon on 35's and a 2014 Jeep JK on 33's.... not sure what tire size to go with for the trailer to fit them all, don't want run too big tires but surely don't wanna run em too small, What size you all think could be a good choice???
Thanks in advance
will post pics soon
I think the trailer could care less what you have and will perform fine with just about any size. The main reason to have matching tire size on a trailer is for convenience. You are adding possible extra spares into the mix or can carry a single spare for vehicle and trailer. I say put 33's on it. Other reason is to match the vehicle height and keep the trailer close to level with a bit of tongue down force. I have different types of tires on my trailer but they are the same size. If I had to I could swap 2 tires from the trailer to my rig to even things out and get to somewhere for a proper repair.

Edgar Serra

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Puerto Rico
First Name
Edgar
Last Name
Serra
Member #

I think the trailer could care less what you have and will perform fine with just about any size. The main reason to have matching tire size on a trailer is for convenience. You are adding possible extra spares into the mix or can carry a single spare for vehicle and trailer. I say put 33's on it. Other reason is to match the vehicle height and keep the trailer close to level with a bit of tongue down force. I have different types of tires on my trailer but they are the same size. If I had to I could swap 2 tires from the trailer to my rig to even things out and get to somewhere for a proper repair.
I will be carrying an extra spare on the trailer, I was between 33's and 35's, I could go with the 33's and have some lift added to the trailer....
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
View attachment 11000 View attachment 11001 View attachment 11002 couple of hitches am toying with the idea of fitting
I have been trying to sours=ce that Nato Hitch converter on a number of FB Trailer pages. I don't want to use it full time as I am more than happy with the Nato Hitch but as a back up in the event I need the trailer to be towed.
Most towing companies like AA or RAC will not cover / tow a trailer if it does not have a standard ball hitch.

Do you know where to get them?

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Cheers will see if I can get something fabricated here.
i am stuck with a trailer i can not use at the moment as the nato rig is to high for my isuzu . So ive had a 3 inch lift done and am having my rear bumper changed over to a swing out wheel carrier to accomadate the nato hitch system , and or one of the tow bars shown

PNWInfernoPro

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Kirkland, WA
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Dear
Member #

Reactions: Charles_Alarie

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Very nice! With that front cargo deck, that has to play havoc with your tongue weight being all over the place. Are you using any sort of weight distribution hitch or sway control?

Ben Hedrick

Rank 0

Contributor I

Very nice! With that front cargo deck, that has to play havoc with your tongue weight being all over the place. Are you using any sort of weight distribution hitch or sway control?
Thank you and you'd think so but that ATV is fairly light weight unit (it's only a 250) and with the RTT on top and all the kitchen galley items out back, really it has towed very well. We been pleased with how it has pulled.

Reactions: Steve

WillyGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, IN
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Thought you folks might enjoy watching the transformation of an old M416 Trailer

Trailer-Old-1.JPG

Poor old girl. I have had her for over 20 years and it was time to put some TLC into her.

Frame-Old-2.JPG

Taken apart and ready for sanding. That's Leo guarding the build. Oh, ignore my driveway, it takes a beating.

Bed-Old.JPG

I've got to get a new bed. I hauled 2 tons of gravel in this trailer. Dad said the rule of thumb in the military was, if it fits - haul it.

Bed-New.JPG

New bed welded in.

Tailgate-New.JPG

New tailgate built and ready for coating

Frame-New.JPG

Frame is ready. Used chassis paint from Eastwood.

IMG_0674.JPG
Bed is ready. Used primer from Eastwood. If you havent visited Eastwood's site you really need to. Their products are top quality.

Trailer Bottom.jpg

Sprayed entire bed with bed liner. Used Monstaliner, it's tintable. Easy to apply but cures FAST. Be absolutely ready to start applying the coating before mixing the catalyst.

Trailer-Rebuilt.JPG

And there she is completed. Go Hoosiers!! Forgot to mention, changed the tail lights to LED with backup lights. Used an LED housing for a commercial truck to mount them with. Drilled holes into the side of the housings and placed marker lights in the holes. Welded tubes into the interior of the bed for wiring the lights. The new wiring follows the C channel of the frame all the way back. The wiring is totally protected from the trail. Changed the wiring out to a 7 wire. Have a wiring breakout box on the tongue to pull the hot circuit from to eventually power 12V devices in the trailer.

Last edited: