AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Brand new 2017 Turtleback Expedition Trailer. Picked it up today. Looking forward to many new adventures. There are now 3 different models available from Turtleback which can fit a lot of different vehicles, needs, and budgets.

Thanks to Dave and his team at Turtleback for building such a great trailer.

Dual battery, shore power, 2000 Watt inverter (I can make toast!) and other quality parts.

Dual burner Partner stove and deep sink.

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Brand new 2017 Turtleback Expedition Trailer. Picked it up today. Looking forward to many new adventures. There are now 3 different models available from Turtleback which can fit a lot of different vehicles, needs, and budgets.

Thanks to Dave and his team at Turtleback for building such a great trailer..
Yep... I'm jealous.
Definitely jealous.
Keep us posted on how it works out... what you like best, what you like least.... what you could probably do without, etc.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Yep... I'm jealous.
Definitely jealous.
Keep us posted on how it works out... what you like best, what you like least.... what you could probably do without, etc.
I had a DIY trailer very similar to this. In fact it had a lot of parts (doors, electrical, plumbing, and few other things) from Turtleback. Now I have the real thing. Pretty much like everything about the trailers. Build quality is insanely good. While it has 42 gallon water capacity I will rarely fill it that high. Nice to have the option though. Hard to say what I could do without. Second battery would be my first statement and inverter second. Neither are must haves. Other than that I bought it for how it was designed and my needs and wants.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Love it.
Sadly in UK and Europe they don't really do the adventure trailer thing so when you do find one they are very expensive and usually imported from the likes of South Africa.
Hence the reason many of us including myselfgo down the build your own route usually based on the British Army "Sankey" trailer.
Whilst mine is not as refined it does the job great most of the time although a little heavy.

_DSC6925.jpg

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

Thanks to Dave and his team at Turtleback for building such a great trailer.

Dual battery, shore power, 2000 Watt inverter (I can make toast!) and other quality parts.
Dual burner Partner stove and deep sink.
I was really impressed with their trailers at Expo West last year.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I was really impressed with their trailers at Expo West last year.
More minor refinements have been made in the 2017 models. Biggest change is the frames are now galvanized vs being sealed and then bed lined with the Inyati coating. This means there can be no possibility of rust from the interior portion of the frame. Not a big deal in AZ but for those in wet climates it's nice. Especially for those that have to keep their trailer outdoors.

A new single 100watt solar hard panel kit will be an option as well.

I work part-time at Turtleback so I have the inside scoop on some of the stuff.

Turtleback is going to be one of the title sponsors at this years Overland Expo West and will have an even larger booth.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Moxy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Member #

More minor refinements have been made in the 2017 models. Biggest change is the frames are now galvanized vs being sealed and then bed lined with the Inyati coating. This means there can be no possibility of rust from the interior portion of the frame. Not a big deal in AZ but for those in wet climates it's nice. Especially for those that have to keep their trailer outdoors.

A new single 100watt solar hard panel kit will be an option as well.

I work part-time at Turtleback so I have the inside scoop on some of the stuff.

Turtleback is going to be one of the title sponsors at this years Overland Expo West and will have an even larger booth.
Oh don't tell me that. I just got mine finished like a week ago. Should I have held out till 2017?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Oh don't tell me that. I just got mine finished like a week ago. Should I have held out till 2017?
Pretty sure yours is a 2017. Just like cars they don't have to be built in the actual year... :) even if yours is a 2016. The differences are minor.

Pierre C

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Québec, Canada
First Name
Pierre
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Service Branch
Canadian Army
Good morning,

I'm in the planning phase for rigging my M101 CDN trailer. It will have an RTT and a freezer (ARB 37q Type). I've cut a tail gate on the trailer so I can access the frezzer from the back. I'm planning to put the freezer on a sliding base on the co-driver side and a drawer of similar dimension beside the freezer. What do you think of this set-up, will this put the freezer in a bad position solidity wise?

IMG_0521.JPG

Pierre C

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Pierre
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Service Branch
Canadian Army
Doing some planning for my trailer build. It'll be a low center of gravity RTT build, but without the roof top. More of a drawer-top-tent I guess. I haven't seen this approach yet.

How will you carry all the cargo?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Pierre C

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Pierre
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Service Branch
Canadian Army
Well the second pic is just showing the drawer part. Not the whole completed trailer. The first pic is closer to the actual concept. The drawer part is on the bottom and the top section is open for all kinds of gear. Solar panels on top, the sides will sort of be like a utility truck bed with doors that open out.
Nice rig!!! What trailer is this based on?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Pierre C

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Pierre
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Service Branch
Canadian Army
Yup. Haha.

Actually, in all honesty I'm not sure yet. I tend to overbuild things. I'm trying to keep it under 3,000lbs fully kitted. I have a set of race car scales so I'll be able to judge it as I build. Things I know for sure right now: It will be riding on an independent trailing arm suspension supported by King 8" travel coilovers with Dexter 6x5.5 12" hubs with electric brakes and parking brakes on 3500# stubs. I'm pulling it with a diesel but it would be nice to tow behind my LJ with a 3500lb tow limit on occasion.
It will be a nice rig!! A bit more comfy than my m101 !

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Pierre C

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Pierre
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Service Branch
Canadian Army
Actually, looking into the pros/cons of independent trailer axles, I think I'm going to build it with Timbren 3500HD arms with the 4" lift and longer spindles to fit off road tires. This seems like the most heavy duty and lowest maintenance/worry free system to go with that will fit my design perfectly.

http://timbren.com/products-page/3500hd/asr35hds02/
That will be a much later upgrade on the trailer. For now, I'll stick with the custom suspension. It still in good shape.