Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Took the Patriot X1 up to Idyllwild. Towed from San Diego to the summit over a fairly rough road. Pretty good elevation gain over a rough dirt road. Trailer was probably 2500lbs. Got 19.3 miles per gallon the whole way. These little tanks are so awesome.

Attachments

DizzyDoyle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Athens, GA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Doyle
Member #

Here is a photo of my homemade offroad camper build. Just need to finish the rear door and get it registered and then we are camping! Also organizing photos to be able to share all that went into it. Let me know what yall think!
Looks fabulous. Looking forward to more about it. What are you towing it with?
Thanks! I am towing it with a 17 4Runner.

Crazy Russian Outlander

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Herriman, Юта, США
First Name
Boris
Last Name
Kopelnik
Member #

Took the Patriot X1 up to Idyllwild. Towed from San Diego to the summit over a fairly rough road. Pretty good elevation gain over a rough dirt road. Trailer was probably 2500lbs. Got 19.3 miles per gallon the whole way. These little tanks are so awesome.
Nice
I bought Teardrop NW Commander

arjan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Hondón de las Nieves, Spanje
First Name
arjan
Last Name
sloot
Member #

He guys/girls i am building a overland trailer. Now my question is a single axle the way to go or is a dubble axle also a way for offroad trailers?

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
How big is this trailer going to be? Most I've seen are single axle unless you're building something huge.

arjan

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Hondón de las Nieves, Spanje
First Name
arjan
Last Name
sloot
Member #

It
How big is this trailer going to be? Most I've seen are single axle unless you're building something huge.
It is a narrow track trailer. Europe mountain streets ar narrow. So i can only get a 750kg braked axle and i got a replacement axle so i thought about putting the second one under it, aslo for stabillety resons

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The only reason for tandem axles is for load capacity. A single axle will always out manouver a tandem. And a single axle offers less rolling resistance too.

Stability is all about weight distribution.

I drove this for 4 years, 50K miles a year, it handled like a sports car. I love single axle trailers.

Coca-Cola_beverage_delivery_truck_Northville_Michigan.0.0.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: arjan

lifenajeep

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

French Settlement Louisiana
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Losh
Member #

We have been working on our camping trailer for a couple years. It's gone through a couple rebuilds. We started with a standard M101a2 that a friend gave to me. It had the canvas top and we slept on the floor in sleeping bags inside. Phase 1
10644701_10204696122837277_5148249521008320876_n.jpg
Phase 2, built benches inside, moved the roof top tent to the trailer and learned how to store more stuff.
13151733_10208423797146805_3398439092009571560_n.jpg
13138735_10208423796946800_1606692064170274119_n.jpg
Took a trip, learned a lot. Found out wife wasn't too fond of the canvas cover.
20180607_073025.jpg
20180927_151517.jpg
20180928_073235.jpg
Phase 3, A little post about the rebuild on facebook
Hard camper top, subfloor, hidden storage, electric slide for camping stove, slide out for stove video
Built on board 32 gallon water tank with Propane heated water source, built alumiunum 25 gallon fuel cell, separate battery system, 63 qt Element ARB fridge on slide, Generac 3000w inverter generator on slide, added CB and handheld radio to keep in touch with Jeep out on trails, and a RV AC/heater unit that feeds the trailer and the RTT. I added stabilizers to the sides of the trailer and a nifty jack and wheel combo for the tongue. The Rhino Rack Batwing added some extra shade too. We have added some lights on the outside to give some assistance when walking around at night, a reverse light and a third brake light for the trailer

yak51

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

The only reason for tandem axles is for load capacity. A single axle will always out manouver a tandem. And a single axle offers less rolling resistance too.

Stability is all about weight distribution.

I drove this for 4 years, 50K miles a year, it handled like a sports car. I love single axle trailers.

Low center of gravity also. I used to see the Coca-Cola truck at the scales every once in a while. The driver was a nice guy, he always had cokes to hand out. He was a line driver.

View attachment 156312

Veinot

Rank 0

Contributor III

So, I couldn't find a good truck so it looks like SUV it is; so now I want a trailer. I want something like the renowned M416/M101CDN2 Military Light Trailer but I don't want to spend the 6000$ plus dollars for a remake or the 2000 to 3000 or more for an original. I was thinking I can buy a 4'x6' trailer frame good for 1850lbs for about 900$ what can I use for a tub? I was thinking about bolting a 4'x6' fish try or agriculture tub to the frame adding some cleets and calling it done. Thing is I cannot find anything like that. What are my other options aside from buying something like a Manley or trying to buy and restore an original Jeep/Iltis Trailer? FYI I am a little handy but I got no tools or a place to work so less DIY fabricating and more DIY bolt-on and done is better for me.