Overland Gear For Winter: How to Prepare for Cold!

• HTML tutorial

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

This stuff is hardcore to me. Lowest I've been out in is 23 degrees, and that wasn't intentional. Lots of good stuff here so thank you all. I planning to do more cold-season camping this coming fall / winter so I'm watching this thread.

I have a Coleman catalytic heater what looks just like the Blue Catz.

Simpson

Rank 0

Traveler I

Socks! Dont skimp and change them before you go to bed. Cold feet make you miserable. When I dont have to worry about weight I like wool. I have a bunch of surplus wool blankets that I have turned into under and top quilts for hammocks, or just to add inside a sleeping bag. If you have access to Alpaca wool it is amazing trust me. Down for dry and light weight. Costco has down throw quilts every year for $20. Have made underquilts, top quilts or just stow for emergencys. They are not the best quality, but for the price they are pretty great.

If you have to work outside for prolonged periods then carharts insulated coveralls work well. They are heavy but the keep you warm and they dont shred when you are under a broken rig. Just a few thoughts from my experiences.

Reactions: BackWoods

RoadRunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mid-Atlantic region
First Name
Greg
Last Name
G.
Member #

Late response, but this simple trick will increase (take a 10F to a -5 F and so on) the rating of your sleeping bag in a snap. And if a Bear gets you you’re good to go! Used them back in my military days. A good ole body bag. Made of polypropylene it’ll keep you toasty and water stays out. Just throw it your pack/vehicle and you’re good to go. Get em online, but I don’t think Amazon carries them. All great ideas and thanks.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Dress in layers, stay dry, drink lots of fluids, except Alcoholic drinks.keep your head covered. You might not realize this, but you’re vehicle works extra hard in the cold weather. Be prepared! Have lots of good safe fun! Vance.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Wow! Ok, I don't mind being in the rain when overlanding, even the snow. But -7F?! That's way to cold for me! Yikes! Hope you had a great time!

Sent from my iPad using Overland Bound Talk
Winter camping is spectacular. It's so breathtakingly beautiful, peaceful and silent, especially at night. Amazing experience.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling