Overland Expo East 2018 Discussion Thread (Not region specific)

• HTML tutorial

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I think rolling in together is the key.

Here's the deal. Some OB folks are meeting at a place called Papas and Beer. I'm down with that. The issue is that we are allowed to camp starting Thursday night. SO.....

We need to set a firm meeting time on Thursday? And post an address where we're meeting up so we can all convoy in together. Right?

I don't want to step on anyone's toes because I'm not sure who is organizing the Papas and Beer meetup location, but if anyone knows who that is, maybe we can tag them and get a firm time and address for the meetup on Thursday so we can stake our camping site?

Eric AKA Jeepsies
That would be me and I posted the time and a link to Papas in the 4th reply..

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Sounds reasonable.

We have to check in by 1800 at the event, as that's when registration/check-in closes. My goal was to be there by 4:30/5, so I had plenty of time to setup camp before dark.
Sunset will be right around 530 then. If you come by honking at 6am and we're on the road, we should be good to go!

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

outwardbound

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mascoutah, IL
Member #

I think rolling in together is the key.

Here's the deal. Some OB folks are meeting at a place called Papas and Beer. I'm down with that. The issue is that we are allowed to camp starting Thursday night. SO.....

We need to set a firm meeting time on Thursday? And post an address where we're meeting up so we can all convoy in together. Right?

I don't want to step on anyone's toes because I'm not sure who is organizing the Papas and Beer meetup location, but if anyone knows who that is, maybe we can tag them and get a firm time and address for the meetup on Thursday so we can stake our camping site?

Eric AKA Jeepsies
The registration desk closes at 6pm on Thursday, at least they did last year. @wawaskittletits, others, and myself, were looking to get to the restaurant no later than 4pm.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

That would be me and I posted the time and a link to Papas in the 4th reply..
That's the one! @Wawa Skittletits for the WIN! Thanks! With so many replies I lost track!

Ok, so here are the deets. Mark 'em down, send a smoke signal, get a tattoo... this is how it's going down...

We're meeting at Papas and Beer in Asheville. @Wawa Skittletits organizing... plus I just like saying that name.
Time to be there between 3-4PM
We'll all leave from the restaurant around 4 and head to the campground together and claim our spot.

Thanks all!

We're traveling with a toddler.. so if we're late or don't make it someone please save us a spot big enough for a Jeep with a batwing awning. But we'll do our dandiest to try and be there in the window.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

So maybe plan to meet somewhere in Asheville for a late lunch/early dinner ? Say 2:30-3:30 window. Depart the eating location at 3:30 heading into camp?

@NovaBound just pick a spot and a time. Let's lock this down!
Looks like we have lots of options off I-26, I'll see what I can find. Scratch that......

Thanks for the link Wawa!

Papas and Beer it is!
1000 Brevard Rd, Asheville, NC 28806

Hope to see you there Jeepsies!

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I will work on getting people together from the southern states and we can all meet up at papas and head in
Awesome! One of the reasons I liked that place is that they’re located in a shopping center so parking won’t be a problem.

Capt Ivan

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Oklahoma
Member #

Hey all,

I saw there was an "Official" general (non-region specific) thread for last year, but I haven't seen one for 2018. If there is one please just point me to it, if not we can use this one.

So here it is. Let's talk Overland Expo East 2018!

1. Who is going?
  2. Where are you leaving from to get to Expo East?
  3. Would anyone like to meet somewhere in Asheville to roll in together to get a campsite for Overland Bound members?
We just got our tickets and we're pretty excited. This is our first Overland Expo. We'll be literally overlanding to overland. Leaving from somewhere in Oklahoma (I'm guessing?) Not really sure as we travel full time, but I think we'll be in Oklahoma around the time we'd need to cross-country to Asheville.

View attachment 65855

Would love to hear from others who are planning to be there.

Eric AKA Jeepsies
#OB14045
We are traveling from Oklahoma ourselves, NE oklahoma to be precise. We are leaving at Midnight on Wednesday and driving in Thursday evening.