Overland Expo East 2018 Discussion Thread (Not region specific)

• HTML tutorial

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

It hit me this morning.... I don't think any of us have a Base Camp flag unless maybe @JRElaxED does? Will have to think about how to mark our spot. @sabjku any ideas?
I have one of the mini Base Camp flags actually in route to me right now. It was free the other day when I ordered some things in the Store. Not sure if that’ll be sufficient or not. [emoji16]

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I have one of the mini Base Camp flags actually in route to me right now. It was free the other day when I ordered some things in the Store. Not sure if that’ll be sufficient or not. [emoji16]
Better than nothing!!!! [emoji16]

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
They’re not the easiest to see in a sea of vehicles but they’re there.

28C5624F-E50B-4230-A206-7FD68CF6D128.jpeg

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
This is the picture I should have shared with you @sabjku. Mini on my CB antenna 11’ in the air in the foreground and a full size approximately at the same height 4 vehicles away.

AC0C2FC4-9206-48B8-828D-7DAC971B9501.jpeg

It’s a new venue this year but I’m sure it’ll be similar to the previous one when it comes to camping. Vehicles are parked close by volunteers similar to a sporting event. The only assured way to camp together is to ride in together or if people collectively set up camp further away from where they’re parking at the moment. This is why I hope to meet anybody coming from the north, east, and west at ‘Papa’s and Beer Mexican’ just south of Asheville on Thursday.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

This is the picture I should have shared with you @sabjku. Mini on my CB antenna 11’ in the air in the foreground and a full size approximately at the same height 4 vehicles away.

View attachment 65984

It’s a new venue this year but I’m sure it’ll be similar to the previous one when it comes to camping. Vehicles are parked close by volunteers similar to a sporting event. The only assured way to camp together is to ride in together or if people collectively set up camp further away from where they’re parking at the moment. This is why I hope to meet anybody coming from the north, east, and west at ‘Papa’s and Beer Mexican’ just south of Asheville on Thursday.
Thanks for sharing the pic! Yep, definitely confirms the need for a bigger flag!

Your intel on the parking is good to know as well. Sounds like if you get there early enough and are willing to park further out then they’re receptive to groups parking together, or just do what you said-make sure you roll in together.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I think rolling in together is the key.

Here's the deal. Some OB folks are meeting at a place called Papas and Beer. I'm down with that. The issue is that we are allowed to camp starting Thursday night. SO.....

We need to set a firm meeting time on Thursday? And post an address where we're meeting up so we can all convoy in together. Right?

I don't want to step on anyone's toes because I'm not sure who is organizing the Papas and Beer meetup location, but if anyone knows who that is, maybe we can tag them and get a firm time and address for the meetup on Thursday so we can stake our camping site?

Eric AKA Jeepsies

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Thanks for sharing the pic! Yep, definitely confirms the need for a bigger flag!

Your intel on the parking is good to know as well. Sounds like if you get there early enough and are willing to park further out then they’re receptive to groups parking together, or just do what you said-make sure you roll in together.
Any way to confirm they will allow us to park "further out" and carve out some space for a larger group? Would be nice if we can hold some spots for members who can't join until Friday.

I'm definitely planning on being there Thursday, with @sabjku and @JRElaxED, and sounds like a few more.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Any way to confirm they will allow us to park "further out" and carve out some space for a larger group? Would be nice if we can hold some spots for members who can't join until Friday.

I'm definitely planning on being there Thursday, with @sabjku and @JRElaxED, and sounds like a few more.
Are you planning on meeting somewhere on Thursday in ASHEVILLE @NovaBound with @sabjku and @JRElaxED prior to rolling in? If so where and what time on Thursday?

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I'll try and reach out to the event organizers and see if they have any commentary on this. We're going to need to leave early on Thursday! I'm not a morning person!!:tearsofjoy:

Reactions: JRElaxED

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Are you planning on meeting somewhere on Thursday in ASHEVILLE @NovaBound with @sabjku and @JRElaxED prior to rolling in? If so where and what time on Thursday?
We were most likely convoying down from the DMV area, possible with a couple others... maybe just us. We could meet somewhere outside Ashveille with you, if you want?

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

We were most likely convoying down from the DMV area, possible with a couple others... maybe just us. We could meet somewhere outside Ashveille with you, if you want?
Ideally y'all could roll in to Asheville for lunch or dinner. Pick a place and a time and let the rest of know who are coming from all over the country so we could just plan to meet you there prior to rolling into the camping area?

Let me know if that would work. I think as soon as we have a window of time and an address where we can meet up things will be locked down and we'll get our spot together on the campground.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Out of curiosity, has anyone glanced at what the weather is generally like in that area at that time of November? Pack accordingly:)

**Edited...originally said "End" of November....I'll be in Mexico then!

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Ideally y'all could roll in to Asheville for lunch or dinner. Pick a place and a time and let the rest of know who are coming from all over the country so we could just plan to meet you there prior to rolling into the camping area?

Let me know if that would work. I think as soon as we have a window of time and an address where we can meet up things will be locked down and we'll get our spot together on the campground.
Sounds reasonable.

We have to check in by 1800 at the event, as that's when registration/check-in closes. My goal was to be there by 4:30/5, so I had plenty of time to setup camp before dark.

Reactions: sabjku

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Out of curiosity, has anyone glanced at what the weather is generally like in that area at the end of November? Pack accordingly:)
I'm counting on cool at best ... more than likely cold!!!!

I've got to come prepared. Keep the Mrs. happy and toasty.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Sounds reasonable.

We have to check in by 1800 at the event, as that's when registration/check-in closes. My goal was to be there by 4:30/5, so I had plenty of time to setup camp before dark.
So maybe plan to meet somewhere in Asheville for a late lunch/early dinner ? Say 2:30-3:30 window. Depart the eating location at 3:30 heading into camp?

@NovaBound just pick a spot and a time. Let's lock this down!