Overland Expo East 2018 Discussion Thread (Not region specific)

• HTML tutorial

dubbinchris

Rank VI
Founder 500

Off-Road Ranger I

Westerville, OH
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knapp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8WEI
I did Expo East in 2016. Rainy and muddy? Check. Ponderous traffic control? Check. Spotty cell service and wi-fi, complicating communications and modern financial transactions? Check.

Controversial opinion: your money is better spent on the trail than at these expos.
Every time I think I want to attend an overland expo I look at the ridiculous prices and always wonder what the hell you’re getting for that price and decide not to. All the videos and posts usually seem like it’s just a bunch of guys looking to show off all the money they’ve spent on their gear that they barely know how to use. I ironically ended up in the Asheville area after spending a few days on the KAT sleeping in the RTT the week after expo. I definitely felt like my money was way better spent on an experience.

Here was my camp site the first night. ImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1543338938.821773.jpg

Dirty Ape

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springboro, Ohio, United States
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I didnt make it this year, attended last 2 years...(was "stuck" on Marco Island for the week instead)...but I would say the value in these events come from the social aspect, meeting like minds and souls which is tough when you have a desk job and a family and YouTube is the closest you get to these things 99% of the time. And yes - crazy expensive rigs - but like all expensive things, art, architecture, etc. it serves to inspire and show possibilities. Thats why I enjoyed the last few Expo's. This year truly sounded like it was in shambles, and opinions will be mixed of course. But in general, it doesnt have to be one or the other - being on the trail can be better because of the connections, knowledge and inspiration gotten from events like the Expo. (Assuming the shuttle ever showed up to take you!)

MrCoffee

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Springfield, Vermont
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
U
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1PMW
It’s all about funneling all the negativity into positive. Great time with friends and new friends.
I don't know of any vendors who were denied entry. There was nobody allowed to drive through the vendor area on Saturday. But all the vendors were set up before the rains came. Campers were turned away on Friday evening.
I wasn't aware of any vendors being turned away either, though quite a few of them were staying overnight at the Hotel that my wife and I were in (which was booked solid after Friday.) A lot were having issues being "stuck in place" not allowed to move there support rigs out of the vendor away, due to the overwhelming mud. Overall a lot of folks attending Overland Expo for the first time that I spoke to on the shuttles (ok, mostly in line for the shuttles) loved the people, hated the Expo. For me and my wife, our next Expo will be Expo West, and that won't be until 2020.

But on the positive, we met a ton of GREAT people, got good solid advice from vendors, picked up a Gazelle T4 Plus tent (It's HUGE) even before we knew OB sold them. Like most of the overlanding folks there, we made the best of the weekend.

RickLB

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Blythewood SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Byrum
Member #

Service Branch
Army
My wife and I and another couple that was with us were turned away on Friday. We went and found a place at N Mill River Rec area in Pisgah and had a great weekend hanging out. Best of all No mud.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Every time I think I want to attend an overland expo I look at the ridiculous prices and always wonder what the hell you’re getting for that price and decide not to. All the videos and posts usually seem like it’s just a bunch of guys looking to show off all the money they’ve spent on their gear that they barely know how to use. View attachment 77292
My take on Expo, it was actually a good time. If it would have been 65 and sunny, it would have been even nicer, but, can't control that. Do I think it was worth the price? Yep, I sure do. I had 4 nights of "lodging", met some fantastic people, ate some great food and drank some good beer, talked to vendors, looked at some very, very cool rigs in the camping area and vendor space, and learned a lot - all in one spot! Easily worth the $190 fee for myself and vehicle/trailer. But maybe others would disagree, and I can respect that.

At the same time, I don't think it's in our best interest to judge what others want to spend their own money on. To be honest with you, how many people that buy all of the gear associated to any hobby, actually use that gear an extensive amount? Not many. Yea, some do, but not the majority. However, it's all of these folks that buy the gear, regardless of whether they use it, that allows an industry to innovate and grow. Plus, it puts a lot of "barely used" gear on the aftermarket for sale! :smile: So, I'm all for that. Hell, I admit it.....I like gear, and I like spending my money on it. I use it, sometimes not as much as I'd like, but I do use it. And, if I don't use it, oh well, it was my money.

I've been in many other automotive scenes over the years, and VERY heavily into the VW scene back in the 90's, attended shows all over the country, built cars that were featured on the front covers of magazines, and it's always the same thing. There's a group of folks who love buying the latest and greatest, regardless of how much they use it. And there's a much smaller group that really lives the lifestyle. Each to his own.

Mike56

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Maryland
Member #

All in all we spend our funds on what we like. I enjoy building and working on rigs to use.
I’ve attend past events and enjoy the trip to, setting up, see the newest and meeting folks of a like mind. Sometimes it worth the price and other times it’s not. Sometime you just have to play the hand your dealt.

dubbinchris

Rank VI
Founder 500

Off-Road Ranger I

Westerville, OH
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Knapp
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8WEI
My take on Expo, it was actually a good time. If it would have been 65 and sunny, it would have been even nicer, but, can't control that. Do I think it was worth the price? Yep, I sure do. I had 4 nights of "lodging", met some fantastic people, ate some great food and drank some good beer, talked to vendors, looked at some very, very cool rigs in the camping area and vendor space, and learned a lot - all in one spot! Easily worth the $190 fee for myself and vehicle/trailer. But maybe others would disagree, and I can respect that.

At the same time, I don't think it's in our best interest to judge what others want to spend their own money on. To be honest with you, how many people that buy all of the gear associated to any hobby, actually use that gear an extensive amount? Not many. Yea, some do, but not the majority. However, it's all of these folks that buy the gear, regardless of whether they use it, that allows an industry to innovate and grow. Plus, it puts a lot of "barely used" gear on the aftermarket for sale! :smile: So, I'm all for that. Hell, I admit it.....I like gear, and I like spending my money on it. I use it, sometimes not as much as I'd like, but I do use it. And, if I don't use it, oh well, it was my money.

I've been in many other automotive scenes over the years, and VERY heavily into the VW scene back in the 90's, attended shows all over the country, built cars that were featured on the front covers of magazines, and it's always the same thing. There's a group of folks who love buying the latest and greatest, regardless of how much they use it. And there's a much smaller group that really lives the lifestyle. Each to his own.
The 90’s VW scene was definitely fun!!

Reactions: sabjku

BigBlueOx_TRD

Rank VII
Investor

World Traveler III

East Bend
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K04ACI

At the same time, I don't think it's in our best interest to judge what others want to spend their own money on. To be honest with you, how many people that buy all of the gear associated to any hobby, actually use that gear an extensive amount? Not many. Yea, some do, but not the majority. However, it's all of these folks that buy the gear, regardless of whether they use it, that allows an industry to innovate and grow. Plus, it puts a lot of "barely used" gear on the aftermarket for sale! [emoji2] So, I'm all for that. Hell, I admit it.....I like gear, and I like spending my money on it. I use it, sometimes not as much as I'd like, but I do use it. And, if I don't use it, oh well, it was my money.

THIS! I couldn't agree more!
I was a volunteer this year and it was also my first expo. Obviously the weather could have been better. That being said, it's just rain and mud. If that bothers you, then I don't think camping is for you. I loved meeting people that share an interest and passion the same as I. We had great food, great conversation and a great time. I purchased several vendor items at great discounts and added to the list of needs and wants. I got to meet several of the people that I follow on social media and talk with them about the places they've been, their rigs and how they were finally able to live their dream of overlanding full time. I am very excited to attend this event again. I hope others give it either another chance or a first chance. Decide for yourself, not from negative comments.