Overland Cooking and Recipes

• HTML tutorial

pabstandoverland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

jacksonville, fl
Member #

I am and always have been a big fan of dutch oven cooking. I grew up in a boy scout troop that had multiple and learned to cook about every meal with cast iron. From a multilayered breakfast casserole, to chili (of course) and everything in between. The heat control is the best part of it. For example, when I cook chili instead of cooking cornbread on the side, I'll fire up more coals, put them on top and poor the cornbread on top of my chili and let that cook. That'll feed the about the entire crew I'm with.
20170421_172005(0).jpg FB_IMG_1492998375802.jpg
Also, dutch oven pizzas. Great heat control helps with cooking but not burning the dough.

Another favorite would be potatoes and onions in tin foil with butter and garlic salt and pepper. Though they make a great side dish with steak they are truly best served the next morning mixed with some eggs. Gotta love food that plays parts in two meals.

mitchalstone

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
Ok, will have a recepy or two here as well.
Problem, one is asian and indonesian. That is were my father came from.
So, it is called Saté, Sateh.

Well, take a good deal of sambal. this is like chilis, but in different tastes. Garlic, Ginger, and then we have a problem. Ketoumbar, Satéherbs, sugar and sojasauce.
Pork meat and scewers.
Anyway, it looks like this

I make it a lot, but out of my wrist, no real recepy.
Together with the Satésauce, which is made from the same ingredients but with peanutbutter. It is absolutely great.

Another dish is Fish very hot, Vis bedis.
Take alu foil. take garlich, chili (a lot) some small chopped onion, some herbs you just like. Close the foil and put it on the bbq.
It tast great.
It is called barbecue in Philippines. The recipe is garlic, vinegar, pepper, soy sauce, lemon, pork and skewers. Mix all ingredients and put in the ziploc then marinate and refrigerate overnight. The nxt day use the skewers. You can use chicken also.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Not a meal, but my favorite hot drink is hot chocolate with powdered Ghost or Reaper peppers and a pinch of cinnamon, but you could sub cayenne for the superhot stuff. The hot drink paired with the capsacin really warms you up.

Reactions: dziner

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
In my humble opinion, nothing beats breakfast casserole ... Plop it on the plate and go to town on it or roll it up in a tortilla and have breakfast burritos.

Reactions: AmericanFrontier

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

It is called barbecue in Philippines. The recipe is garlic, vinegar, pepper, soy sauce, lemon, pork and skewers. Mix all ingredients and put in the ziploc then marinate and refrigerate overnight. The nxt day use the skewers. You can use chicken also.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Monkey on a stick. YAE!!! I used to grab like 5 of those from the little monkey on a stick cart as soon as I crossed shit river.

Knitron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
Decided to end my last adventure with smoking a whole chicken. Good call. It's a good way to make all the other camper jealous, lol.

OB# 3805

Reactions: dziner

Knitron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
What did you use ?
I use one of these and a portable propane grill. Works as good as my gas smoker at home. Works will pellets and wood chips. Pellets work better because I can pack more in there.

Char-Broil® Stainless Steel Smoker Chip Tube

escadventure

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Ruidoso, NM, USA
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Howes
Service Branch
USAF vet
Had a good time reading this thread- thought I'd resurrect with a few recent successful meals we've made.

First is personal pizzas on the Coleman oven. Used naan bread, a jar of pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese. Very quick and tasted great:

View attachment 24704

I also found that many grocery stores sell a small "tub" of veggies for stirfry pre-sliced for about $5. Steak or sausage on the skottle first then add veggies and steam with a lid. Even my picky kids enjoyed it:

View attachment 24706

Finally, I love a savory breakfast and find that defrosted tater tots make great hash browns on the skottle. Sausage or bacon first, then potatoes, and finish up with some eggs and enjoy. And I'm always impressed with how easily the skottle cleans up.

View attachment 24705
As I see your pics of the Coleman oven, it must work pretty good. I've been thinking about getting one.

Jeff Swain

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, Missouri
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Swain
Member #

I like to make what I call man burgers.
1/2 lb patty of lean ground beef, covered in several layers of bbq sauce until it caramelizes. Two layers of pepper jack cheese with frenches onion pieces stuffed in between then topped with bacon. It is so good. May not be the healthiest for you, but so good.

manburger.jpg

GXnGS

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mountain House, CA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hambly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6MVX
As I see your pics of the Coleman oven, it must work pretty good. I've been thinking about getting one.
It's always been part of our outdoor cooking kit. Mostly we use it for baking biscuits or cinnamon rolls (the tube kind you "pop" open) as well as toasting bread, pizza, etc. Folds down quite small and fits almost anywhere.

Vince

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Cooking is a huge passion especially when it's on a trip over an open fire. Bit of a kit junky too when it comes to cooking methods as in way too many types of stoves and fireboxes. What I take all boils down to the type of trip whether wanting to keep the weight down for longer distance trips of for a weekend away and lots cooking I'll load up all the iron work, firebox and dutch ovens for a cook fest :-) I did weight it all once and if I remember it was something like 50kg ...but man did we eat well!
DSC_4577.JPG

SSG_Gonzo

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Paso Robles, California
Member #

Hey all, I am the new member #8220 to OB. I figured I would share an interesting recipe that my wife has been doing. Its pretty easy and if you are in a rush to start your trip in the morning it is quick. Take two eggs, whatever you want in your omelet and throw it in a zip lock bag, mix it up good and place it in a pot of boiling water. After 15 minuets, presto you have a nice omelet prior to enjoy a trek. Pretty simple and clean up is easy.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
The first night I keep it simple with fajitas.

Pre-cut veggies and put in zip lock bag.
Pre-cut chicken (beef if your @HeliSniper) put in a 1 gal zip lock and cover with marinade then double bag. I use champagne dressing. and refrigerate.
Once at the camp site this is a one pan meal and usually you wont need to use utensils or a plate to eat, depending on who is with you.
Cook the veggies then add the meat and continue till the meat is cooked.
Place tortillas on top of the veggie/meat and put a top on to steam the tortillas.
Usually from start to finish its about 20 min with clean up.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I was wondering if anyone has used the new OB Flat Pack Fire Pit for cooking yet? It looks like it would be a great multi use tool. Kinda pricy for me but it looks good.