• HTML tutorial

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Nope, looked at them, but I have WAY too much stuff already. But very cool concept. However I need to ask admin what dutch oven he is using, I like the broader legs on it as well as the bail handle. Anyone know what dutch oven brand that is?

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Figured I should contribute to the forum as well while on here.

Have some friends coming over for dinner and I wanted to cook something unique, and I found this awesome German BBQ recipe called schichtfleisch. But nw its raining, wind is blowing.... DANG IT, no outside dutch oven cooking for me.... what to do it in indoors. After Looking at the mass of 5 ingredients that goes into this and the size I would need, I started to pull out my 12" 9 qt indoor Lodge oven, but then said, wait, what about my allclad roaster? This is a new hard to find stock item. New as in they started making them in 2006. They stopped making them in 2007, Tfal made them for about 8 months longer, but also gave up the ghost. What is it? A emerilware indoor smoker. WAY better than those stainless cameron stove top models, and when I lived in apartment (2006) as a single bachelor I used it for that purpose, smoking small amounts of meat, vegs, etc. But the main attraction to it was cast iron, and big. It is a little bigger than a 9x13 pyrex dish, but twice as deep with a little tray and rack that sits inside when needed (smoking or collecting drippings for pudding or gravy). The lid has grill marks and is about a pyrex dish in all dimensions. they are next to impossible to find anymore, and when sold no Ebay go for 300-500, when new, they were $90.

One thing about this unit, weight. It weighs 27lbs empty. Yeah, 27lbs, then I added 8lbs of pork butt, 3lbs of onions, 8oz of Killer hogs- The BBQ rub, 20oz of BBQ sauce, and 1.5lbs of bacon. Total weight.... 41lbs! My oven rack is bowing a good 0.5" to 0.75" right now HAHA, but the house smells amazing. Its been on for 1.5 hours, still have about 2 hours left, but Im foaming at the mouth on this one. Cant wait to eat it. Have home made pickles, store bought fresh kraut, nice ciabatta rolls, baked beans and will have cobbler for dessert. But this not only is a great group dish, but also a great way to season your dutch oven since there is a lot of rendered fat in the pot.

Il post up after action photos and the results for the team.

Slice onions, 0.5" thick.
Slice pork neck (or butt if you can not find neck) into 0.5"-0.75" thick steaks and debone if using butt.
Liberally rub pork with your favorite BBQ rub.

Layer oven with bacon to create baking paper to protect meat (and add more taste!)
Vertically layer pork, onions, pork, onions, until the dutch oven is full.
Top with a good BBQ sauce, the top that with more bacon.
Back at 350 for 3-4 hours.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Chicken Curry in a Hurry
Made this one recently. Checked it out at home and will adding it to the list next time we are camping

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Chicken Curry in a Hurry
Made this one recently. Checked it out at home and will adding it to the list next time we are camping
Ha, love these guys . . . I've seen Jase and his mate before on some of the Patriot Campers vids.

He knows how to cook, easy to see from just the way he cuts his veggies up! I love the "that's about all I've got, so that's how much you put in..." instruction.

Great recipe, too, makes me want to get his book and DVD.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

one of our favorites is Jerk Pork Tenderloin Sliders w\Caribbean Cole Slaw. I use my small weber smoky joe with the coals on one side. Home I use my big off set pit. Your choice of wood for smoke, I like charcoal & cherry wood for this recipe. (photo is shown cooked at home)

Ingredients
4lb Pork Tenderloin , ¼ cup Jerk Seasoning, 1 cup Jerk Glaze, 1 package of Hawaiian Rolls, Caribbean Cole Slaw

For Jerk Seasoning: 3 Tablespoons Brisket Rub, ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, ¼ teaspoon dried Thyme, ¼ teaspoon Onion Powder, ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon Ground Clove, ¼ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon Ground Allspice.
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.

For Jerk Glaze: ½ cup Heinz Ketchup, ½ cup Pineapple juice, ½ cup Brown Sugar, ¼ cup Honey, ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar, 2 Tablespoon Lime Juice, Tablespoon Jerk Seasoning, 3 cloves Garlic minced, 3 green Onions finely chopped, 1 teaspoon Corn Starch, 1 teaspoon cold water.
In a small boiler over medium, add the ketchup, pineapple juice, brown sugar, honey, lime juice and vinegar. Stir to combine and add the jerk seasoning, garlic, onion, and peppers. Bring to a slight boil and reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes. Combine the corn starch and water in a small bowl and add to the pot. Continue simmering the glaze until it thickens about 3-4 minutes.

Caribbean Cole Slaw: 1 bag of Prepared Cole Slaw w/red cabbage and carrots, ½ Red Onion sliced thin½ Fresh Mango chopped, 2 Tablespoons Green Onion finely sliced, ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar, 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil, 2 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard, 1 Tablespoon Honey, 1 Tabelspoon Sugar, Salt and Pepper to taste
In a small bowl add the vinegar, Dijon Mustard, honey, and sugar. Whisk to combine and drizzle in olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. In a medium size bowl add the bag of cole slaw, mango, red onion, green onion. Pour the dressing over the slaw and toss to combine. Store in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.

Prepare Smoker or other bbq grill/smoker for indirect cooking at 275⁰. Add cherry wood to hot coals for smoke flavor.
Remove any excess fat or silver skin from each pork tenderloin. Season with Jerk Rub on all sides.
Place each tenderloin on the cooking rack of the smoker and insert probe thermometer to monitor internal temperature. Cook for 45 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 135⁰ in the center of the tenderloin

29543040_1629092090472992_3720807636156875412_n.jpg 29695285_1629092220472979_9155452026197841510_n.jpg

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

This is a great read. I'm working on my meal plan for a trip next weekend for 2 days.

Breakfasts: Muffin and banana, maybe oatmeal
Breakfast Burritos

Lunch: Turkey wraps with shredded carrots and spinach or lettuce

Dinners: Burgers and potatoes or potato salad
Boneless chicken with veggies and rice

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Ha, love these guys . . . I've seen Jase and his mate before on some of the Patriot Campers vids.

He knows how to cook, easy to see from just the way he cuts his veggies up! I love the "that's about all I've got, so that's how much you put in..." instruction.

Great recipe, too, makes me want to get his book and DVD.
Yep! I bought the book... haven't looked at the DVD yet but you will disappointed to know the book contains quantities ;-)

Reactions: Road

Haminacan

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia City, Indiana
First Name
First
Last Name
Lastname
Member #

One our favorites for cooler nights(Lake Superior can be chilly even in the summer) is beef stew. You need a dutch oven or a very thick pot. Just throw in beef chunks, potatoes, carrots, onions, peppers and your favorite steak seasoning(mushrooms can be added towards the end, they tend to get rubbery if cooked too long). Add beef broth until everything is covered by at least an inch and put it over the fire. Drink several beers and cook until it is the desired thickness, usually an hour or 2 depending on how hot the fire is.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

A lot of my camp food uses tortillas - they pack easier than bread, it's fewer plates to wash, and they don't go stale as quickly in the high desert. I also like to pre-prep as much as I can before I leave.

Chicken and Vegetable Fajita-Style Burritos:
  • Bell peppers (I prefer red, yellow, and orange)
  • Sweet onion
  • Garlic
  • Boneless chicken breast
  • A1 steak sauce
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • Hot sauce of your choice
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Chili powder
  • Onion powder
  • Garlic powder
  • Salt and pepper
  • Whatever other spices you want.
Combine A1 sauce, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce garlic, and spices. I will sometimes throw in a little red wine vinegar and olive oil. Whisk that bad boy together in bowl or large measuring cup. Sorry, I don't have exact amounts on hand, I just add stuff until it looks/tastes right. Remember that your dried spices will rehydreate and open up, so don't over-do it. Or go ahead and over-do it, it's your meal, not mine.

Before leaving town:

Slice the chicken breasts into strips, double-bag in heavy-duty zip-lock. Pour about half the sauce in the bag, squeeze out all the air and close. Kneed the bag so that all the chicken is marinating in the sauce. Since I don't have a cool-kid fridge, I will freeze this entire bag and eat it on day 2 or 3.

Slice up the peppers and onions into strips. Place in another bag with the rest of the sauce and refrigerate.

In camp:

Fire option: Place the chicken in a foil pouch and the vegetables in another, place on the coals and cook until the vegetable are tender but not mushy and the chicken is cooked through. You will probably need to put the chicken on first to get them to finish at the same time.

Stove option: Use a pan and grill it up.

Serve in a tortilla and dress it up however you like. I cheap and easy way to add more to this meal is a couple of the Uncle Ben's Spanish rice packs (the ones that are par-cooked and heat up quickly) and some black beans.

Bonus Track:
Any leftovers (good luck with that) cook up great with eggs the next day for a killer breakfast burrito.

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Unless its char grilled flesh, I'm in the habit of one-pot-wonders. Spicey mince (ground meat) or casseroles. Else a roasted piece of meat with vegetables in the campoven.

Easier to prepare, cook and clean.

I've recently purchased a grill net and I'd like to try making my own burger patties (of different recipes) and also grilling some fish.

Dave Decker

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Paradise Hills, NM
Member #

@Wilson Dude this is GOLD! I love the beer can idea! That is just perfect! I'll add a recipe here:

Campfire Potatoes:

[*]15 small red potatoes, cut in half.
[*]4 Garlic cloves
[*]1 can of Beer
[*]One can 15oz Spicy Diced tomatoes
[*]Whole basil leaves, or a sprig of rosemary

Make a large aluminum foil bowl that is enough to fit the potatoes. Put in chopped , cover with the tomatoes, pour in half the beer (drink the rest), throw in garlic, and toss on the sprigs or basil. Cover with aluminum foil making a water tight pouch. Throw directly on your campfire coals, or on a close grill, for about 40 minutes, turning once. You need all that liquid to keep the potatoes from burning, and the result is awesome!

Get creative with this one. It's very flexible, and you can toss just about anything into that foil pouch!

M
That sounds pretty good, I'll have to try it next week while I'm out and about!

Reactions: Justinwrains

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

My wife Sally & I made Fried Catfish Po Boy's for supper. The cajun remoulade sauce was awesome. What I like about po boy's, you have your meat, vegetables, & bread all in one. That fresh flathead catfish cooked perfectly. That just topped off Fathers Day.

We started talking this meal would be an awesome supper for overlanding, easy to make, pre-cut the vegetables, pre-make the remoulade sauce & deep fry the catfish in camp.
35557964_1707166375998896_5127425270424272896_n.jpg

WutHoLeChit

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mustang OK
Member #

Cooking is a huge passion of mine, and I have always adored cooking over an open flame. Being new to the Overlanding community, I am pretty excited to get back at it, as in the past cooking has always been a minimalist pursuit while backpacking. One of my all time favorites is what I call "cowboy dinner". You guys will have to forgive me as I don't measure anything precisely nor do I stick to a specific recipe. I bag everything into two gallon sized ziplock bags. For several reasons: 1: you just pour out the ingredients and go, 2:easier to pack, less trash you have to pack out, 3: it allows the flavors to blend a little even before you get to cooking, and finally, 4: I always forget the dang can opener, or the can opener breaks while you're out.

Heres roughly how it goes though:

bag number 1
2 big cans of baked beans
1 can of black beans, drained
1 can of pinto beans
1 can of French cut green beans, drained
1 1/2 can of cream corn
handful of brown sugar
good squirt of BBQ sauce (I like sweet baby rays)
good squirt of dijon mustard (cause I'm fancy)
pepper, paprika, hot sauce to taste ( I prefer cholula)

bag number 2 (perhaps 3 for meat separation) Keep in cooler.
jalapeños, chopped as desired. I typically cut them into 8ths
1 large yellow or red onion chopped as desired. I like to cut it into .5 inch slices and then half or quarter the slices
1 lb of lean ground beef
1 lb of bacon, chopped. (the bits and ends bags you find at the butcher work great too, less prep work, and cheaper)

Steps:
Heat up a big cast iron skillet over the fire. Dutch oven would work too.
Pour in bag number 2, brown/cook everything as desired. Wearing a shirt helps prevent grease burns, just FYI.
Remove any excess grease, but be sure to leave enough in there to add to the flavor and to keep everything from sticking.
Dump bag number two into the pan, stir regularly to prevent burning, heat until bubbling.
Eat!

I love this meal. Its hearty, will stick to your bones long after you're done hiking, takes ten minutes to cook, and is super easy. it reheats incredibly well, and is the perfect blend of spicy and savory, with just a touch of sweetness. It feeds a crowd, and only uses one pot, a spoon, and one knife if you cut everything in the proper order.

Added bonus:

You noticed the leftover half can of cream corn? Mix it in with two boxes of Jiffy corn bread mix while you're mixing up the batter. Makes for the best cornbread. Maybe throw a jalapeño in there if you're feeling squirrely.