Overland Cooking and Recipes

• HTML tutorial

7mmremmag

Rank III

Advocate II

Youngsville, PA, USA
Member #

Forgot about another favorite, chimichurri is awesome on any type of red meat or sandwich and the acidity allows it to keep pretty easily. I like to single serve it into double heat sealed food saver bags.

Reactions: Road

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
I just received a Stargazer 12" cast iron pan. I was very excited to order it, but they were 3 months late on the delivery- and they are quite expensive. I'll give a review after trying it out for a while.
http://www.stargazercastiron.com/
thought they were cool with a machined inner surface and no pour spout.

Checker

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Layton, UT, USA
Member #

That looks tasty.
Looks like a tasty recipe. I am trying it tomorrow. I thought I had all the stuff to make it tonight but I did not. I am trying to get my list together of meals for my next trip and this looks like a good one. I need 3 more dishes then I'm done.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Foil-pack fajitas:
Ingredients-
bell peppers
onion
meat(optional)
olive oil
fajita/taco seasoning
tortillas
cheese
foil

This is a staple in my family while camping. You can do this a few different ways. For the sake of simplicity, I usually get frozen precooked chicken and frozen 3 pepper & onion mix for this, but I've found the fresh veggies work best. I start out by lighting the fire (if able to) and get it burning hot to generate some good coals. If we can't have a fire, I'll just skip putting it all into a foil pack and cook it using flat top on the Coleman stove. I mix all of it together on the foil with a good amount olive oil and taco/fajita seasoning to taste (usually need more than you think), then I will seal it up with 2-3 layers of foil, but making sure I have an access point to unfold it to see how the food is doing. Once the fire dies down to mainly hot coals, I'll move them to the side (or under the grill grate if on the fire pit) and set the foil pack on it. I initially leave it for a bit to get everything to fully thaw and start cooking, but after about 10-15 minutes I move it around and flip it to avoid developing hot spots where it will burn through. I try to listen for the moisture and olive oil bubbling as that is a good indication of things cooking well. I will pull it aside to check it once or twice to see how it is cooking. Once it is cooked to your liking, pull it off the fire and serve on your choice of tortillas. Don't forget to top with your favorite toppings. We usually opt for just cheese to make things simple. We like this because we can usually do this with little to no cleanup over the fire. Tortillas make great edible plates! We've also made these vegetarian friendly by substituting out meat for mushrooms and other veggies. it works great! You can even prep the fresh veggies ahead of time if you'd like. We just like to keep it simple as we're all usually exhausted by dinner time.

Ntgm37

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Wyoming
Member #

It is called barbecue in Philippines. The recipe is garlic, vinegar, pepper, soy sauce, lemon, pork and skewers. Mix all ingredients and put in the ziploc then marinate and refrigerate overnight. The nxt day use the skewers. You can use chicken also.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Do you cut this chicken into pieces and then stack on skewers or is this like one whole piece of chicken? Also, where did you get these skewers?

MunsterGeo Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Mid West Ireland
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

I like to make bannock, and you can pretty much put anything in or on it to mix it up a bit, very simple too.

Ingredients
3 cups
flour (use half whole grain flour)
1 tsp
salt
2 Tbsp
baking powder
1/4 cup
butter, melted
1 and 1/2 cups
water

1. Measure flour, salt, and baking powder into a large pot. Stir to mix.
  2. Pour melted butter and water over flour mixture. Stir with fork to make a ball.
  3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently about 10 times. Pat into a flat circle 3/4" to 1" thick.
  4. Cook in a greased frying pan over medium heat, allowing about 15 minutes for each side. Use two lifters for easy turning. May also be baked on a greased baking sheet at 350° F (175° C) for 25 to 30 minutes.

I usually add some Whiskey in, or cheese and bits of sausage.
We use a similar recipe but prefer it a little sweeter so use brown sugar instead of salt. Also we add sultanas.

Pre-prepare it by mixing all the ingredients before leaving and packing into a ziplock bag then simply add water when we are about to cook it. Sometimes we have a little fun by adding less water, making it a little thicker, wrapping around sticks and cooking over the campfire. The kids really love cooking it this way and they love getting involved in this particular treat.

Reactions: Stewart (Stu) Pirie

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Jacobson
Speaking of orange chicken...I'm a big fan of Trader Joe's frozen ready meals, if you have a freezer you can use any time, otherwise should probably be eaten in first day or two. They're really good and easy. Especially their Mandarin Chicken (orange chicken), Barbeque Terriyaki, Kung pao, and their beef and brocoli. Any of those with some white rice and you got a very filling meal for 2-3. Extra is pairing it with their frozen potstickers.

rjralston

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Ralston
My go to is Bratwurst boiled in a nice dark lager with garlic and onions. Pull the brats when plump (around 10-15 minutes) and throw them on the grill. Get them nicely brown and then split them. Stuff them with some Baby Swiss Cheese and then serve on a nice roll with Brown Spicy Mustard. Yumm! Use good uncooked bratwurst, not that pre-packaged already cooked crap.

Justinwrains

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Canon City, Colorado, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Rains
Member #

Being Dove season here in Texas, I guess I will share my favorite simple recipe. We marinade dove breasts (make sure you get all the shot out of them to prevent filling loosening surprises) in a buffalo sauce. Sorry, was sworn to secrecy on the buffalo sauce recipe as it is a friends family recipe. He is from upstate New York so you know it's good. Anyway, I stick the breasts and the sauce in a Ziploc and toss it in the cooler for whenever we are ready. You can either pan fry em, or my favorite, wrap em all up in a ball of tin foil and toss em on the fire for a bit. Served with celery, potatoes and an ice cold brew.
Sounds good to me I miss dove season in Texas.

Justinwrains

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Justin
Last Name
Rains
Member #

One of my favs is Marinated Salmon with Kale.
I take brown sugar with soy sauce, garlic, salt and pepper, and a little dill, some olive oil, and a spritz of water for the marinade. soak salmon meat side down for 30 min-60 min. for the Kale,
I de -twig it. toss out the stems and sticks.
start with a whole red pepper sliced, and a small onion diced, in a sauté pan in a little olive oil and butter.

Once tender, add some chopped garlic, and salt and pepper and the whole head of kale. Lemon juice to taste. Bring lots of kale as it shrinks a lot like spinach.

(leftovers), The kale is good 2nd time around. its awesome in fritatas, omelets or with sausage for breakfast...
There usually isn't any salmon left over because its so good.
Salmon goes on a grill or also in hot skillet with oil? It sounds really good and I love a fresh idea on healthyish food.

Justinwrains

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Justin
Last Name
Rains
Member #

Sweet Chili and Garlic Mud Crabs

2 or 3 mudcrabs
soy sauce
minced garlic
chili paste
Chardonnay
spring onions

start off with some freshly caught mud crab, brake in half and crack the claws so the flavor can enter place in big pot and add about a cup of soy sauce, add 1/2 cup of minced garlic and 3 or 4 table spoons of chili paste, add cups of water then pour in Chardonnay until everything is completely covered

simmer on a medium heat for around 15 to 20 min stiring occasionally

chops a hand full of spring onions and sprinkle on top and dig in

View attachment 2064 View attachment 2065 View attachment 2066
Going to make this at home

Justinwrains

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Justin
Last Name
Rains
Member #

one of our favorites is Jerk Pork Tenderloin Sliders w\Caribbean Cole Slaw. I use my small weber smoky joe with the coals on one side. Home I use my big off set pit. Your choice of wood for smoke, I like charcoal & cherry wood for this recipe. (photo is shown cooked at home)

Ingredients
4lb Pork Tenderloin , ¼ cup Jerk Seasoning, 1 cup Jerk Glaze, 1 package of Hawaiian Rolls, Caribbean Cole Slaw

For Jerk Seasoning: 3 Tablespoons Brisket Rub, ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, ¼ teaspoon dried Thyme, ¼ teaspoon Onion Powder, ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon Ground Clove, ¼ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon Ground Allspice.
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.

For Jerk Glaze: ½ cup Heinz Ketchup, ½ cup Pineapple juice, ½ cup Brown Sugar, ¼ cup Honey, ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar, 2 Tablespoon Lime Juice, Tablespoon Jerk Seasoning, 3 cloves Garlic minced, 3 green Onions finely chopped, 1 teaspoon Corn Starch, 1 teaspoon cold water.
In a small boiler over medium, add the ketchup, pineapple juice, brown sugar, honey, lime juice and vinegar. Stir to combine and add the jerk seasoning, garlic, onion, and peppers. Bring to a slight boil and reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes. Combine the corn starch and water in a small bowl and add to the pot. Continue simmering the glaze until it thickens about 3-4 minutes.

Caribbean Cole Slaw: 1 bag of Prepared Cole Slaw w/red cabbage and carrots, ½ Red Onion sliced thin½ Fresh Mango chopped, 2 Tablespoons Green Onion finely sliced, ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar, 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil, 2 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard, 1 Tablespoon Honey, 1 Tabelspoon Sugar, Salt and Pepper to taste
In a small bowl add the vinegar, Dijon Mustard, honey, and sugar. Whisk to combine and drizzle in olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. In a medium size bowl add the bag of cole slaw, mango, red onion, green onion. Pour the dressing over the slaw and toss to combine. Store in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.

Prepare Smoker or other bbq grill/smoker for indirect cooking at 275⁰. Add cherry wood to hot coals for smoke flavor.
Remove any excess fat or silver skin from each pork tenderloin. Season with Jerk Rub on all sides.
Place each tenderloin on the cooking rack of the smoker and insert probe thermometer to monitor internal temperature. Cook for 45 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 135⁰ in the center of the tenderloin

View attachment 53116 View attachment 53117
I’ll be making this with beef or chicken as I don’t eat pork.

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Get one of them, line caught, flash frozen, salmon fillets. Are they everywhere? Donno'. They have them here, but we're on the coast. Anyway..

Thaw it, then.. Chop it up crosswise with scissors about 1" square bars.
Iron skillet, drizzle with olive oil, salt, and chili powder. Maybe a little garlic.
Fry the salmon sticks skin down for a bit, drizzle tops with a little honey.
Flip them over, peel off the now loose skins. Mabe a tad more chili powder? A tiny bit more honey.
Flip them again. Check now and then for doneness. Pull them off when just a tiny bit rare inside.

Tortillas, home made style salsa mixed with mayo. Fish tacos. Yum!

-jim lee

KadenVentures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Kaden
Last Name
Galvez
Member #

Speaking of orange chicken...I'm a big fan of Trader Joe's frozen ready meals, if you have a freezer you can use any time, otherwise should probably be eaten in first day or two. They're really good and easy. Especially their Mandarin Chicken (orange chicken), Barbeque Terriyaki, Kung pao, and their beef and brocoli. Any of those with some white rice and you got a very filling meal for 2-3. Extra is pairing it with their frozen potstickers.
Nice! i'll have to check that out, I love Trader Joes lol

KadenVentures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Henderson, NV, USA
First Name
Kaden
Last Name
Galvez
Member #

For those looking for a bit healthier/low carb meal that will feed a few people - my take on Breakfast Fried Rice

Ingredients:
1x can of Spam /or meat of your choice
1x large carrot
1x large Zucchini (or 2 small ones)
1x large onion
5x Eggs + 1 Cup Egg whites
2x Cups Cauliflower Rice
1x Cup Quinoa Brown Rice
1x TBSP of minced garlic
2x TBSP of sesame seed oil (also have regular vegetable oil on hand to pre oil the skottle for adding more ingredients)
Soy Sauce, salt and pepper to taste Siracha (bec who doesnt like fried rice without a kick!)

Reactions: Desert Runner

Gone_xtrkn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Brendon
Last Name
P
Member #

Easy one pan, four ingredient camp breakfast: 5 Minute Chilaquiles Verdes

-leftover tortilla chips from dinner
-eggs (I pre-scramble and bring them in a small bottle)
-small can of salsa verde (I used Herdez last time just because the can was the perfect size)
-crumbled quest fresco

optional:
-some fresh cilantro if you’re feeling fancy
-avocado
-meat

1)cook your eggs
2) add chips and cook a bit until warm
3)pour in the sauce and cook until bubbling for a few minutes
4)crumble the cheese on top and eat from the pan, no dishes to clean!

Not the most authentic, but a quick, cozy meal that’s easy to scale for different sized groups.

Vary according to taste, you could always fry your egg separately and put it on top of you want a bit of yolk action. Red enchilada sauce could work if you don’t like verde (why not?!)

AB6E31E8-E399-4003-8FAC-E14E086BCAA4.jpeg
54C6D1A1-A57A-4666-BFB6-A1A862431A99.jpeg

Shayhan27

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Castle Rock, Colorado, United States
First Name
Shannon
Last Name
Pervere
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Get one of them, line caught, flash frozen, salmon fillets. Are they everywhere? Donno'. They have them here, but we're on the coast. Anyway..

Thaw it, then.. Chop it up crosswise with scissors about 1" square bars.
Iron skillet, drizzle with olive oil, salt, and chili powder. Maybe a little garlic.
Fry the salmon sticks skin down for a bit, drizzle tops with a little honey.
Flip them over, peel off the now loose skins. Mabe a tad more chili powder? A tiny bit more honey.
Flip them again. Check now and then for doneness. Pull them off when just a tiny bit rare inside.

Tortillas, home made style salsa mixed with mayo. Fish tacos. Yum!

-jim lee
Don't forget to keep frying the skins until crisp (if it's your thing), and eat that too.

Reactions: Road