Overland Cooking and Recipes

• HTML tutorial

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

You noticed the leftover half can of cream corn? Mix it in with two boxes of Jiffy corn bread mix while you're mixing up the batter. Makes for the best cornbread. Maybe throw a jalapeño in there if you're feeling squirrely.
I'm going to try this! Sounds fun!

-jim lee

Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Dutch Oven recipe. Best for a group camp of 5-8 as a side breakfast dish, Being that a dutch oven is involved, not for the coffee and go crowd. Never been leftovers after breakfast! It can also serve as a lunch meal.

15 red potatoes-cut in half, or 5 big potatoes-cubed
1 sweet red pepper-diced
1 yellow and/or gold pepper-diced
1 tablespoon of minced fresh garlic(jar)
1 or 2 pounds of hot link sausage-sliced (group size dependent)
A little fresh basil (best) or dried
1 or 2 sweet onions-diced
A generous splash of virgin olive oil

Put in dutch oven,stir ingredients so olive oil is mixed,cover, and put over med. coals, cook for at least 20-30 minutes. Check potato softness, and stir. Serve with eggs, and........have hot sauce as a side offering:joycat::sunglasses:

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Just stumbled into this forum thread. Finding some awesome food ideas shared. Thanks!
I'm getting hungry..

Reactions: Sparky

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Hey everyone, here's a quick one that's become a staple for us... fresh Caprese Salad. This is a sample from my cookbook Overland Cookery, feel free to check it out if you'd like, but I wanted to share the full recipe here cause it's just dang good. It's also excellent after a hot day out on the trail, especially as a lunch because prep is easy and cleanup is minimal. Nothing beats creamy cheese and crunchy crostini! The key is to use pesto instead of fresh basil, and to add balsamic vinegar into the pesto prior to departure. I also preference cherry tomatoes versus full-size tomatoes, so if some get damaged en route it's not the end of the day. It also stores really well with the ingredients lasting up to five days.

I have a cooking demo for this recipe that can be seen here. I'd like to make more video's to help everyone prep better meals outdoors, so I'm open to comments/criticisms. We had some dramatically changing light which caused some exposure issues in this one, but overall I think it turned out pretty good. If anyone in the bay area has some recipes they'd like to throw up online to share let me know, I'd be happy to film:

Ingredients:

12 Fresh Cherry Tomatoes
8 Oz Fresh Mozzarella or Burrata
2 Tablespoons Pesto, pre-made (home or store bought)
1 Teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
Baguette, Crostini, or Seeded Crackers (substitute GF crackers for gluten-free)
Cured Meat, optional

Instructions: To prepare, arrange thickly sliced tomatoes and burrata or mozzarella on a serving plate. I like to place the cheese down first so that it warms up bit prior to serving, improving it's flavor. To create an easily sampled dish, spoon pesto onto plate or across the cheese, eliminating the need for dipping. Serve with crostini, crusty bread or seeded gluten-free crackers.

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 8.04.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 10.32.02 PM.png

Last edited:

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Hey everyone, here's a quick one that's become a staple for us... fresh Caprese Salad. This is a sample from my cookbook Overland Cookery, feel free to check it out if you'd like, but I wanted to share the full recipe here cause it's just dang good. It's also excellent after a hot day out on the trail, especially as a lunch because prep is easy and cleanup is minimal. Nothing beats creamy cheese and crunchy crostini! The key is to use pesto instead of fresh basil, and to add balsamic vinegar into the pesto prior to departure. I also preference cherry tomatoes versus full-size tomatoes, so if some get damaged en route it's not the end of the day. It also stores really well with the ingredients lasting up to five days.

I have a cooking demo for this recipe that can be seen here. I'd like to make more video's to help everyone prep better meals outdoors, so I'm open to comments/criticisms. We had some dramatically changing light which caused some exposure issues in this one, but overall I think it turned out pretty good. If anyone in the bay area has some recipes they'd like to throw up online to share let me know, I'd be happy to film:

Ingredients:

12 Fresh Cherry Tomatoes
8 Oz Fresh Mozzarella or Burrata
2 Tablespoons Pesto, pre-made (home or store bought)
1 Teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
Baguette, Crostini, or Seeded Crackers (substitute GF crackers for gluten-free)
Cured Meat, optional

Instructions: To prepare, arrange thickly sliced tomatoes and burrata or mozzarella on a serving plate. I like to place the cheese down first so that it warms up bit prior to serving, improving it's flavor. To create an easily sampled dish, spoon pesto onto plate or across the cheese, eliminating the need for dipping. Serve with crostini, crusty bread or seeded gluten-free crackers.

View attachment 81490

View attachment 81491
That looks tasty.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
That does indeed looks delicious Sparky. The YouTube link didn’t work for me but the pics are good. If you share your YouTube ID I’ll search that path. Thanks.

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

That does indeed looks delicious Sparky. The YouTube link didn’t work for me but the pics are good. If you share your YouTube ID I’ll search that path. Thanks.
Weird, I’ll look at the link. If you search “Overland caprese” it should pop up, the channel is Overland Cookery, got a few other demos up there.

Reactions: Boort

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Weird, I’ll look at the link. If you search “Overland caprese” it should pop up, the channel is Overland Cookery, got a few other demos up there.
Awesome. I’ll check it out.

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Ok, that worked. The recipe looks good and so do your videos. I’ll subscribe when I remember my utube password.

Spaceburger

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Modesto
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6RUF
Makes me hungry just watching. Subscribed to Sparkys channel. I’ve been gourmet cooking out on the trail for years. I love cooking great food when camping. Some of my friends eat their cardboard ‘survival food’ right up until I offer them a chunk of beer butt chicken sitting on a mozzarella topped pan fried sour dough toast. Ya.
Why eat crap when you go to all that trouble to get out into nature?

Spaceburger

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Modesto
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6RUF
Open can of favorite beer, drink half. Clean a whole chicken, sprinkle salt pepper other assorted spices inside and outside. Coat outside with olive oil. Drop whole chicken onto top of beer can ( insert beer into chicken butt) and tie support wings with staninless wire or wet soaked cotton string. Make sure it balances ok. Place upright on hot leveled bbq grill (Smokey Joe) and cover with aluminum foil to preserve heat. Cook approximately 1-1/2 to 2 hours. As beer boils it cooks chicken from inside. Outside should have a nice bbq tinge. Ok to use mesquite and wet oak wood for smoke flavor.
When finished, the beer will still be hot liquid and present scalding hazard. Be careful.

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

Makes me hungry just watching. Subscribed to Sparkys channel. I’ve been gourmet cooking out on the trail for years. I love cooking great food when camping. Some of my friends eat their cardboard ‘survival food’ right up until I offer them a chunk of beer butt chicken sitting on a mozzarella topped pan fried sour dough toast. Ya.
Why eat crap when you go to all that trouble to get out into nature?
You had me at Mozzarella topped fried sourdough toast.

Reactions: Spaceburger

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
Awesome! Only flaw in the recipe is resisting the second half of that beer. Better add a few more cans to the ingredients list to be safe.

@Sparky - subscribed to your channel. Keep up the good work! (love your iron skillet logo btw)

Reactions: Spaceburger

Stewart (Stu) Pirie

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Laurencekirk, UK
Member #

I like to make bannock, and you can pretty much put anything in or on it to mix it up a bit, very simple too.

Ingredients
3 cups
flour (use half whole grain flour)
1 tsp
salt
2 Tbsp
baking powder
1/4 cup
butter, melted
1 and 1/2 cups
water

1. Measure flour, salt, and baking powder into a large pot. Stir to mix.
  2. Pour melted butter and water over flour mixture. Stir with fork to make a ball.
  3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently about 10 times. Pat into a flat circle 3/4" to 1" thick.
  4. Cook in a greased frying pan over medium heat, allowing about 15 minutes for each side. Use two lifters for easy turning. May also be baked on a greased baking sheet at 350° F (175° C) for 25 to 30 minutes.

I usually add some Whiskey in, or cheese and bits of sausage.

Another one is Skirlie, its eaten with Sunday roast over here usually.

Ingredients
  • 50g (2oz) butter or roast beef dripping
  • 1 finely chopped onion
  • Pinhead Oatmeal or Medium Oatmeal (according to preference)
  • Freshly-ground black pepper
  • Salt

Melt the butter or dripping over medium heat and add the onion. Stir until onion is lightly browned, then add as many oats as you need slowly until all the fat is absorbed and the mixture is fairly firm.

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Wow interesting different palette. What's pinhead Oatmeal?

bannock sounds like a big biscuit. Is it like a biscuit? Or more like a pancake?

-jim lee

Stewart (Stu) Pirie

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Laurencekirk, UK
Member #

Wow interesting different palette. What's pinhead Oatmeal?

bannock sounds like a big biscuit. Is it like a biscuit? Or more like a pancake?

-jim lee

Yes its just like steel cut or Irish style.

And Bannock is more like a sour dough bread, its traditionally made on a flat stone next to an open fire or rolled into a ball and stuck on a stick over the fire. I also think biscuits mean different things in the UK and in the US, ive seen a recipe for gravy and biscuits and to us that's not a biscuit, more like a dumpling.

ryanjohnsonhunt

New Zealand Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

On a recent 3 day expedition over New Years we tried a few new recipes. The most successful was a meal looked over an open fire (driftwood and pine cones then mesquite charcoal on top). On the coals we put potatoes (with butter) wrapped in foil, then on a grate over the coals we cooked some marinated NZ lamb. We served with coleslaw it was delicious! Plenty of photos including prep of the meals in the share album link below

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0F5idkMwGrm1di

Reactions: 12poundtest

12poundtest

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Edmonds WA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Sershon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7PHY
On a recent 3 day expedition over New Years we tried a few new recipes. The most successful was a meal looked over an open fire (driftwood and pine cones then mesquite charcoal on top). On the coals we put potatoes (with butter) wrapped in foil, then on a grate over the coals we cooked some marinated NZ lamb. We served with coleslaw it was delicious! Plenty of photos including prep of the meals in the share album link below

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0F5idkMwGrm1di

Looks delicious! And nice setup. Your awning lights make everything look very festive.

Reactions: ryanjohnsonhunt