Overland Cooking and Recipes

• HTML tutorial

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Looking at some great recipes, thanks everyone. When I would go backpacking, we would stop by Togo's or a Subway sandwich shop and pick up a large sandwich to go. After a long hike and then setting up camp, we would kick back and enjoy our sandwich, chips and a beer. We would also bring some Vodka and Tang drink mix, and mix up some Screwdrivers. I thought about making some Gold Drivers but my hiking buddies don't drink Tequila.

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Ive got a tried and true recipe that's very simple, fast and delicious and high in protein.

Creamed Salmon and Sweet Peas over toast.

ingredients:

1 can if Pink salmon.
1 can of Sweet Peas.
3 Tablespoons of butter.
1 cup of milk.
3 Tablespoons of all purpose flour.
salt and pepper to taste.

1. Open salmon and drain. I like to remove spine and any other real big bones but its not necessary.
2. open Sweet Peas and keep the liquid in can.
3. melt butter in a saucepan.
4. add flour and mix with a fork or whisk until u have a paste.
add all of the milk, and stir till flour is dissolved. add Pea . (Whole can of liquid.)
you are making a roux or white sauce.....once heat comes up it will thicken nice.
5. add salmon.
6. add Sweet peas.
7. salt and pepper to taste.
simmer over low heat till desired thickness. if too thick, add more milk.
Serve over bread or buttered toast or ciabatta...
This is delicious for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

*Spencer, this is the recipe I was telling you about.*

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
Ive got a tried and true recipe that's very simple, fast and delicious and high in protein.

Creamed Salmon and Sweet Peas over toast.

ingredients:

1 can if Pink salmon.
1 can of Sweet Peas.
3 Tablespoons of butter.
1 cup of milk.
3 Tablespoons of all purpose flour.
salt and pepper to taste.

1. Open salmon and drain. I like to remove spine and any other real big bones but its not necessary.
2. open Sweet Peas and keep the liquid in can.
3. melt butter in a saucepan.
4. add flour and mix with a fork or whisk until u have a paste.
add all of the milk, and stir till flour is dissolved. add Pea . (Whole can of liquid.)
you are making a roux or white sauce.....once heat comes up it will thicken nice.
5. add salmon.
6. add Sweet peas.
7. salt and pepper to taste.
simmer over low heat till desired thickness. if too thick, add more milk.
Serve over bread or buttered toast or ciabatta...
This is delicious for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

*Spencer, this is the recipe I was telling you about.*
sounds good im not a big salmon fan but the wify is so ill have to give it a crack

Reactions: Justinwrains

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
Sweet Chili and Garlic Mud Crabs

2 or 3 mudcrabs
soy sauce
minced garlic
chili paste
Chardonnay
spring onions

start off with some freshly caught mud crab, brake in half and crack the claws so the flavor can enter place in big pot and add about a cup of soy sauce, add 1/2 cup of minced garlic and 3 or 4 table spoons of chili paste, add cups of water then pour in Chardonnay until everything is completely covered

simmer on a medium heat for around 15 to 20 min stiring occasionally

chops a hand full of spring onions and sprinkle on top and dig in

12112472_10206535008706548_8953015094582149541_n.jpg 12227763_10206535008506543_5047148430823270175_n.jpg IMG_0633.jpg

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pressure Cooker Corned beef Brisket and Cabbage in the woods!
This is so good anytime but especially good when camping, with some good beer, and good friends.
Get yourself a non electric pressure cooker and set your Corned Beef Brisket in it. add a cup of water and spice package.
close lid, lock it up, install pressure relief valve on top.
Get it to a boil and when the relief valve starts to sshh...sshsh.....turn it down to med. just enough to keep valve hissing.

Cook for 90 Min.
After 90 Min, Cool gently. Relieve pressure carefully and remove brisket, set aside.
Add Potatoes, carrots, Cabbage and use remaining water or add some so theres about a cup in cooker.
Cook for 3.5 minutes. Plate up and enjoy a great camping meal.

This old way of cooking is great! all you need is a heat source like a stove or a fire.

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

It's not likely an original idea, but it is my take on the ever popular grilled cheese sandwich. It is something I've been cooking up at base camp (and home) for a while now, and I finally took some time to record a video on it.

It may not be the healthiest breakfast option, but it's a tasty one.

Full write up (step by step instructions) on the blog here:
http://vagabondexpedition.com/fried-...eese-sandwich/

Or just watch the video, it's pretty simple:

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

So I gave Chili Cheese Fries in Tin Foil a go and it turned out pretty damn good. Though the recipe calls for everything to be done in the tinfoil, I cooked the chili in its can over the fire.

Ingredients
  • 1 small package frozen french fries (not mega family size) **mine had defrosted but were still cold by the time I got to cooking
  • one can of chili of choice
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Instructions
  1. Spray the inside of a large doubled-up sheet of foil with cooking spray.
  2. Place the frozen fries in the middle of the sheet; fold to enclose.
  3. Cook the fries on your BBQ or over a campfire until they are cooked - around 15-20 minutes.
  4. Spread the chili and cheese over the fries.
  5. Close the packet again and cook until the chili is hot and the cheese has melted.
  6. Remove, cool slightly and enjoy! We just ate it with forks right out of the package!
I transferred the fries to a plate after they had cooked. Added the chili and cheese....boom. Perfect

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

So I gave Chili Cheese Fries in Tin Foil a go and it turned out pretty damn good. Though the recipe calls for everything to be done in the tinfoil, I cooked the chili in its can over the fire.

Ingredients
  • 1 small package frozen french fries (not mega family size) **mine had defrosted but were still cold by the time I got to cooking
  • one can of chili of choice
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Instructions
  1. Spray the inside of a large doubled-up sheet of foil with cooking spray.
  2. Place the frozen fries in the middle of the sheet; fold to enclose.
  3. Cook the fries on your BBQ or over a campfire until they are cooked - around 15-20 minutes.
  4. Spread the chili and cheese over the fries.
  5. Close the packet again and cook until the chili is hot and the cheese has melted.
  6. Remove, cool slightly and enjoy! We just ate it with forks right out of the package!
I transferred the fries to a plate after they had cooked. Added the chili and cheese....boom. Perfect
Looks awesome Murph!

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Reactions: NorthStar96

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
DSC03648.jpg It's not a recipe, as you simply add a bit of pepper and a bit of olive oil for steaks and asparagus. Then just a dash of balsamic vinegar on the veggies when done. One of the best things we've added to our kitchen in the Lodge griddle plate. It fits perfectly on the Coleman and now we can cook for two at the same time instead of eating in shifts. Someone mentioned before about the "cheap" Coleman they are currently using and are looking forward to upgrading.. hmmm,, why? The Coleman stove is easily one of the best and most dependable pieces of gear that we have. I wouldn't trade it for any other one.

escadventure

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Ruidoso, NM, USA
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Howes
Service Branch
USAF vet
Food for thought - we have found that we can pack more food if we carry basic ingredients instead of pre-made food. Plus it's usually better. You just have to choose your food wisely regarding it's storability.

Reactions: Gunnermoose