Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Lots of central OH folks lately! We'll have to have a SW + Central meetup in the future. Maybe out toward Hocking Hills/AEP and the like.
We camped at AEP a couple of times this year. Lovely area, as long as your neighbor doesn't run a generator all night. LOL
This ⬆ . Can confirm a Generator will ruin your experience.

Reactions: RR11NelNav

Chuck103

Rank IV

Traveler III

Warren, Ohio, United States
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Lohry
Member #

Northeast here, Warren area. Anyone ever have Ohio meet ups?
I’m not particular about what cars people drive or what whiskey they drink, it’s all good. Only thing around here is Southington Off Road park, which I haven’t been to yet. I’m game for anything.

Hey man I'm down in Austintown if you don't mind a "fake jeep" tagging along I'm definitely up for getting a group together! Theres several spots just a few hours drive from us!

Overlanded

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Stow, OH, USA
First Name
Palmer
Last Name
Barr
Member #

Hello Buckeyes! I'm Palmer from Stow. I'm looking for places to take my 3 boys near here this spring. (ages 17, 20 and 23) Any ideas are appreciated. We are near the Cuyahoga Valey National Park.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Hello Buckeyes! I'm Palmer from Stow. I'm looking for places to take my 3 boys near here this spring. (ages 17, 20 and 23) Any ideas are appreciated. We are near the Cuyahoga Valey National Park.
Anything in particular you want to do/see?

Overlanded

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Stow, OH, USA
First Name
Palmer
Last Name
Barr
Member #

I would like to take them Overlanding for the weekend. Just to get away and spend some time in the wild. Looking more at just spending time with them in nature. There doesn't appear to be anywhere near here to go off-road but maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Thanks.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I would like to take them Overlanding for the weekend. Just to get away and spend some time in the wild. Looking more at just spending time with them in nature. There doesn't appear to be anywhere near here to go off-road but maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Thanks.
Understood, yeah Ohio is very limited unfortunately. You can hit Mohican state park area. I know people go there and make due but I’ve never done it personally. I’ve heard Allegheny National Forest is pretty good. Is a hike for me in Dayton but since you’re up near cuyahoga it may be a weekend trip for you. The last place that’s sorta near you is Michigan. I went up to Manistee National Forest and loved it. If you go up that way make sure to hit Sleeping Bear Dunes.

Reactions: runnerbear

collinskev

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ohio
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Collins
Understood, yeah Ohio is very limited unfortunately. You can hit Mohican state park area. I know people go there and make due but I’ve never done it personally. I’ve heard Allegheny National Forest is pretty good. Is a hike for me in Dayton but since you’re up near cuyahoga it may be a weekend trip for you. The last place that’s sorta near you is Michigan. I went up to Manistee National Forest and loved it. If you go up that way make sure to hit Sleeping Bear Dunes.
Check out the AEP land near Cumberland. You can easily get lost just exploring all those backroads there. Camping is free as well, you just need to fill out a permit. Not sure if there are seasonal restrictions there, but its worth looking into. Lots of awesome little lakes in the area.

Reactions: Lex

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Check out the AEP land near Cumberland. You can easily get lost just exploring all those backroads there. Camping is free as well, you just need to fill out a permit. Not sure if there are seasonal restrictions there, but its worth looking into. Lots of awesome little lakes in the area.

Good deal. I forgot this existed. Will be checking that out.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ

Quick question. I was reading up on this and the rules are kinda complex (in a legal sense). In terms of legal roads/trails you can take a rig down how many are actually dirt/trail like?

collinskev

Rank 0

Contributor I

Ohio
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Collins
You're not gonna find anything too crazy there, but there are definitely miles and miles of largely unmaintained dirt roads. You can cross reference the map on their website with google maps satellite to get an idea.

Anything not shown on their map is either gated or marked. You'll see little offshoots off the main trail that someone has gone down before, but they're clearly marked with an orange sign. Some of the little roads aren't labeled one way or another, and just lead to an oil pump or something. Not sure if they're legal or not, I checked out a couple of them, but thats your call lol.

Lots of stuff to explore thats clearly marked though. Pretty fun, especially with a good rain lol.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
You're not gonna find anything too crazy there, but there are definitely miles and miles of largely unmaintained dirt roads. You can cross reference the map on their website with google maps satellite to get an idea.

Anything not shown on their map is either gated or marked. You'll see little offshoots off the main trail that someone has gone down before, but they're clearly marked with an orange sign. Some of the little roads aren't labeled one way or another, and just lead to an oil pump or something. Not sure if they're legal or not, I checked out a couple of them, but thats your call lol.

Lots of stuff to explore thats clearly marked though. Pretty fun, especially with a good rain lol.
Okay so I can use this as a test run more or less after mods :grin: It's still a bit far for a day trip so I'll definitely need to go out that way during a weekend. It'll be a good training ground though for my friends that are new to overlanding/4x4.

Lex

Rank I

Traveler I

Westerville, Ohio, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

New central Ohio member here... Been a while since I've spent time camping, etc... But excited to get my gear and rig back in shape and hit up even the basic trails.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
If you go to Mohican, bring canoes, kayaks.

Not for the river. Use the rentals for the river. But for the lake. I'll take you up the lake to some cool spots. Bring a snorkel and fins if you got them. It's a few hour paddle.

Jfannin

Rank 0

Contributor I

Portsmouth, OH, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Fannin
Member #

Hello everyone,
Jeff here from Portsmouth OH along the Ohio River.
Been Riding dirt bikes and camping since birth. Figured it was time to see if I could find some good overlanding trails here in OH, KY or WV area.

RR11NelNav

Rank II

Contributor III

Canfield, OH, USA
First Name
Nelson
Last Name
Navarro
Member #

Hi Everyone,

Nelson from Youngstown, Ohio area.
New to forum and over landing. Hoping to learn some places to go in Ohio.