Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Count me in! If there is still room. Also Is there a thread that I missed of what will be covered at the bootcamp? its been a very busy couple weeks and have not been on the forums much... @Corrie or @Michael Totally in for the main event. Need a little more intel before I can say go for the bootcamp or not.

Thank you!!!
You didn't miss anything. You should wait for the class list to decide if it's for you. All instructors will be EXTREMELY well-qualified. We only expect 20 folks for this so instructors can give detailed personal instruction.

Reactions: Meta6981

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
@Steve @mmnorthdirections I think we should table the conversation until we list the classes and instructors and provide details of the who and what. The OTG Rally Bald Mountain run is totally separate, and on a different day. Was that part clear? We need to keep class size very small for the Boot Camp (20).

Reactions: Joel 11k

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

The OTG Rally Bald Mountain run is totally separate, and on a different day. Was that part clear?
Not to me it wasn't. It sounded like if you wanted to go up to Bald Mountain like last your, it was going to cost $500.

I think last year, it was $75 per participant, so with the $210 for the two of us and $500 to drive up the mountain, I was quite taken aback.

Reactions: ravenplague

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Not to me it wasn't. It sounded like if you wanted to go up to Bald Mountain like last your, it was going to cost $500.

I think last year, it was $75 per participant, so with the $210 for the two of us and $500 to drive up the mountain, I was quite taken aback.
No no. The boot camp is totally separate. This year will not be that much more. I think when we provide final details and announce registration, it will be palatable. We can't do what we did last year again, for the same cost, for many reasons you and I can chat about personally. Lots of detail there.

Reactions: Steve

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

I'll be blunt. Last years event took me 100s of hours of solo preparation and ultimately, we lost money on it. Not much. But we were in the red. This was 100% our fault: we set a price, crossed our fingers that 25 people would join us in a group campsite for a weekend, and then the whole thing tripled+ in size.

The increase is not a money grab on our part. We've carefully reviewed the raw costs of producing these events so we can expand to other regions, scale in size, and stay in business.

Here's the breakdown for the 2016 OTG Pricing Increase:

1. Create an event that lives up to our quality standards. Full stop.

2. Hire additional help to facilitate check-in, meals, setting up, taking down, coordinating with Camp Edison, creation and distribution of welcome kits etc. We were LUCKY to have so many people jump in last year to help, but we can't run events hoping paid attendees will cover our ass. (Michael and I were cleaning up after the meal at 11PM last year. We love hard work, but we need help.)

3. Cover costs for additional group campsites so people are not dog piled on top of each other like last year, and each person has appropriate space for their set up (RTT owners are not on an incline, tent owners have a flat patch to pitch, special needs/requests, etc.)

4. Expand community based meals to encompass Friday night + Saturday night, and create amenities like a coffee station for the mornings. The Saturday night meal was spectacular in community and spirit. It's the exact energy and experience Michael and I seek to create in the world.

5. Insurance. We're too big to not have it. (Unfortunately, that takes $$$.)

6. Kids are free this year.

Overland Bound Bootcamp - Thursday/Friday:

1. Completely separate from OTG. It is it's own product with its own costs. Someone can just come up for Thursday/Friday and not participate in OTG.

2. Cost covers campsite Thursday night, Thursday night group meal, insurance, cost of educators (time/travel/expertise), lunch at the top of Bald Mountain, small class/cohort size, additional help to facilitate, etc.

3. Everyone will be learning the same material at the same time, and will require the same resources/costs for us to produce the event. This is why there is no difference between a driver and passenger. Each person will receive the same quality educational content.

You are all ground-floor with us as we attempt to make the leap from boot-strapped hobby to full on organization devoted to inspiring adventure and providing the best education.

I'm Rambly McRambleston from Rambletown over here. I want our crew to know that we are not price gouging attendees so we can bathe in your money when we get home.

Please please please shoot me DM's or email me at corrie@overlandbound.com or reply here with questions, feedback, etc.

High fives and hugs - Corrie

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

You didn't miss anything. You should wait for the class list to decide if it's for you. All instructors will be EXTREMELY well-qualified. We only expect 20 folks for this so instructors can give detailed personal instruction.
So will boot camp be a set list or a select what you want type of deal? When will description of class be available?
Looking forward to this just need to budget for it

KicknDirt

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Huntington Beach, CA
Member #

@Corrie and @Michael. I know how much work it really is. The planning the pain and the pay off. This OB community is forever in your debt. You have opened our eyes to exploration and empowered us to be ambassadors in this community. We set examples and teach other the OB way. Outfit and Explore! Keep up the work and know everyone here has your back!

THANK YOU!!!!!!