San Francisco Peninsula
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Owen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6DHD
I'm putting you I timeout for 5 minutes. It would have been 10 but you also support knowing alternate frequencies. [emoji3]

IMHO 146.46 should be where you connect with someone but then move to an alternate frequency.
Agreed. I was introduced to 146.460 as the "Club's [Simplex] frequency" only to later learn it is the main "off-road [or some such]" simplex freq. Maybe to late to change a mindset and adopt a different default for our club, nor have we encountered much cross traffic, but there is a lot of sense in having .460 as a land version of Marine VHF Ch 16 as a "hailing channel" then move to a different freq.

Not too difficult to look at local band planning and pick a club or group freq.... but again, some are resistant to change and the benefits might not outweigh the effort. ;-)[/S]

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I noticed the GMRS frequency is blank, I know quite a few folks that use these but not of any standard channel for trail comms. Curious if a particular channel was used on any of the trail runs at the Off the Grid Rally, etc.?

Chris Arnesen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hillsboro, OR
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Arnesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KU7PDX
I noticed the GMRS frequency is blank, I know quite a few folks that use these but not of any standard channel for trail comms. Curious if a particular channel was used on any of the trail runs at the Off the Grid Rally, etc.?
The typical "calling channel" on FRS/GMRS is FRS Channel 1, GMRS Channel 9 (462.5625 MHz) since both FRS and GMRS radios have that same frequency. I really don't know if one of the frequencies is "typical" or not, but I would probably recommend FRS 2/GMRS 10 (462.5875 MHz) or FRS 4/GMRS 12 (462.6375 MHz) since those combinations are fairly easy to remember.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Agreed. I was introduced to 146.460 as the "Club's [Simplex] frequency" only to later learn it is the main "off-road [or some such]" simplex freq. Maybe to late to change a mindset and adopt a different default for our club, nor have we encountered much cross traffic, but there is a lot of sense in having .460 as a land version of Marine VHF Ch 16 as a "hailing channel" then move to a different freq.

Not too difficult to look at local band planning and pick a club or group freq.... but again, some are resistant to change and the benefits might not outweigh the effort. ;-)[/S]

I think most everyone knowing that 146.460 is the popular frequency is great. It gives someone a place to go to try to summon help and the dual watch radios monitors that and using an alternate for group coms would be good to if someone in another group was to call for assistance.

Knowing your radio is another important part of amateur radio. Being able to program in a repeater on the fly as well as tune to a specific frequency when required should be skills all Hams should strive for as a minimum. I keep a cheat sheet for each radio with the radio as well as a manual for the radio downloaded to Google Drive so I can access it when I'm not at home if need be. I added popular repeaters to my Icom 2100H at the beach last year so I could talk to locals and even joined in a local club net. It's a great way to get information about the area you are traveling as well as meet great people.

Reactions: RED1713 and 9Mike2

tom

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Peninsula
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Owen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6DHD
Is there anyway to convert a 5 W handheld to 50 W?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
HT's run about 5w (as you know) and mobile rigs with more power, different antennas, etc.. generally run the 30, 50, 100w range. As stated above, "modifying" likely a bad idea, but purchasing a mobile rig would be the right way to go about getting the extra power. Also noted, general rule of thumb (Law?) is to only transmit using as much power as you need to make contact. Unlike CB where "more power" is the name of the game to "squash" others, Ham is more about being efficient at a peer-to-peer level.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Reactions: TerryD

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Only way to get a 5 watt HT to 50 watts is with a VHF or UHF amplifier. Which means you will have cables, cords, and coax running in every direction. And by that point you have probably spent close to the same as you would have on a 65 watt 2m mobile radio.

Last edited:
Reactions: WJ - Firefly

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I regularly talk to two local repeaters with 5w on my mobile rig at almost 30 miles. Of course those are on towers but a good antenna install will do more for your range than power will. I even sometimes hook up an ht to my mobile antenna and that works great too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

Chris Arnesen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hillsboro, OR
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Arnesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KU7PDX
Yes, but you really aren't converting the radio and you're limited to the quality of the transmission from the radio (aka, you don't want to put an amplifier on a Baofeng radio).

Mirage is a division of MFJ Enterprises and sells amplifiers for a variety of bands. For example, to take a 2 Meter handheld radio (FM) and amplify it to 35 watts, you would need their B-34 amplifier ($139) and a cable to connect your radio to the amplifier ($5 or so).

Amplifiers are really not recommended because there are a lot of factors and safety concerns to take into account... Realistically too, it's probably cheaper (and better quality) to just get a used mobile radio that can do 50 watts out of the box.