US Rocky Mountain OB Colorado Springs Monthly Meetup & Trail Ride

• HTML tutorial

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Morning everyone. I only just discovered and joined the forum this week but glad I did. It would be great to come along this Saturday. I see mention of winches, I dont have one (yet) on my Tacoma - is that a show stopper? Thanks
Not a show stopper as long as you have a 2" reciever hitch and recovery points up front, I have one of those d-ring posts for the receiver. If it's to risky we will probably abandon the trail in favor of Mnt Herman rd. And explore some off shoots that are pretty cool. This area is my go to for shake down runs and winter activities, just quite a bit less snow than up north.

Reactions: HoldFast_Taco

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Also with your Tacoma you may explore up till it get to narrow, not worth risking any damage. I have seen plenty of full sized vehicles camping in the area. They just know the area.

Reactions: HoldFast_Taco

HoldFast_Taco

Rank I

Member I

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
First Name
Niall
Last Name
Macleod
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZLZ
Not a show stopper as long as you have a 2" reciever hitch and recovery points up front, I have one of those d-ring posts for the receiver. If it's to risky we will probably abandon the trail in favor of Mnt Herman rd. And explore some off shoots that are pretty cool. This area is my go to for shake down runs and winter activities, just quite a bit less snow than up north.
I have those so sounds good. Thanks for the reply

FR33DOM

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
McLeish
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W1MMC
Service Branch
USAF
It's up to you guys! Keep in mind that Schubart can get pretty narrow in areas, so if you have full size rigs, it might get tough
I am now 50/50 on making this. How narrow is narrow? Will this be any worse than the last two trips? I guess I'm as narrow as any JL/JK but longer wheelbase...

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I think that it's probably not that bad, the trial we did last month was very tight too, just one spot that I wouldn't try to squeez threw with a larger rig especially if it's too snowy/icy. If it's to sketchy we can will head back out to go to Mnt Herman rd trails. That's where there are some great camp areas.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I have a buddy that is planning on tagging along for this run/camping, and another that might come down to run the trail, they have similar rigs as mine equipped with winches and both have chains to through on just in case?

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

No, I don't have any chains and don't have any lockers, I do have my winch which I use once in a while, just handy to have someone in the group that has some some chains, just to break trail or maneuver so they can winch some one out of trouble. I go out to play in the winter months in all kinds of conditions. And have been just fine. Like I have said if it's to sketchy condition wise, it's not worth risking damage, and the alternative of running Mnt Herman isn't a bad thing either.

Reactions: FR33DOM

FR33DOM

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
McLeish
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W1MMC
Service Branch
USAF
No, I don't have any chains and don't have any lockers, I do have my winch which I use once in a while, just handy to have someone in the group that has some some chains, just to break trail or maneuver so they can winch some one out of trouble. I go out to play in the winter months in all kinds of conditions. And have been just fine. Like I have said if it's to sketchy condition wise, it's not worth risking damage, and the alternative of running Mnt Herman isn't a bad thing either.
Sounds good. I've got a winch shovel and plenty of tow straps. Didn't have any troubles last two times, just have to take it slow when tight I guess. Thanks!

FR33DOM

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
McLeish
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W1MMC
Service Branch
USAF
I hate to say it but looks like we won't be joining tomorrow. Hope you all have a great ride and camp out!

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Wow! What a fun day! I want to thank each and every person who went out on this run yesterday and also a special thanks to John and Morgan for hanging out with me as we camped in our rigs last night.
I really had the time of my life and was pretty impressed with everyone rigs and tenacity in conquering this snowy trail. I think we all learned a lot about communicating and relying on each other to make it all the way around. And as always I that (hey lets let Mikey try it) attitude is super fun to do.

Hope you all had as much fun and I can't wait to roll with you all again!!!!!DSCN2837 (1024x768).jpgDSCN2846 (768x1024).jpgDSCN2842 (1024x768).jpgDSCN2856 (1024x768).jpg