Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

After busting my butt to get extra time for this. I got roped into family stuff. I tried to wiggle my way out of it, but no luck! My son and I are stuck doing other things for the weekend. This sounds like a blast and I hope you all have a great time!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

FR33DOM

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
McLeish
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W1MMC
Service Branch
USAF
Looks like fun--not sure I can swing this one tho. Really want to go--just got my front recovery points and winch installed and want to test it out a bit...

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Please everyone who has RSVPed update your intentions, I'm going to be going down to that area to try out cold weather camping Saturday into Sunday whether we go ahead with this meeting or end up with cancelling, I'm cool with it either way. And please Pivite message me you cell phone # so we can catch communicate the morning of just in case.

Charles Drives Things

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Highlands Ranch, CO, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Townsend
Member #

Shoot! I won't be able to make this. For some reason I'm not getting updates or notifications, I'll have to look in to that. I'll hopefully be able to make the March Meet-up!

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

I wish I could make this. I had plans to be there. Just some unforeseen family stuff came up.

I hope the lack of people for this meet up doesn't deflate everyone's intrest. I think this is a great idea to get everyone together and in the outdoors. See new country and make new friends. My son and I had a great time on the last meet up!

I am always looking forward to the next deal. My son has Spring Break at the end of March. I am going to take a few days off.

Would @Fortis Overland and the rest of the group be interested in doing a three day two night adventure or more? Maybe something that everyone can do in stock rigs (compact, full size or whatever), and maybe head a little further South towards warmer camping weather, or even hotels at the end of each night if it still going to be really cold. Something that would appeal to everyone.

@Fortis Overland is the head of the crew from what I gather and I don't want to ruffle any feathers. I just thought I would throw the Idea out there, as a month goes by really fast. It would be better to start planning sooner or later if there is any interest.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I think that also an idea to gather more people we could make the meetup schedule more flexible.
For example instead of every 4 weeks, we can have a poll after each meetup to decide what’s going to be the next date, maybe after 20 days or 40, maybe Saturday or Sunday.
Just to avoid that if anyone can’t make it, doesn’t need to wait another whole month.

just a thought

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I wish I could make this. I had plans to be there. Just some unforeseen family stuff came up.

I hope the lack of people for this meet up doesn't deflate everyone's intrest. I think this is a great idea to get everyone together and in the outdoors. See new country and make new friends. My son and I had a great time on the last meet up!

I am always looking forward to the next deal. My son has Spring Break at the end of March. I am going to take a few days off.

Would @Fortis Overland and the rest of the group be interested in doing a three day two night adventure or more? Maybe something that everyone can do in stock rigs (compact, full size or whatever), and maybe head a little further South towards warmer camping weather, or even hotels at the end of each night if it still going to be really cold. Something that would appeal to everyone.

@Fortis Overland is the head of the crew from what I gather and I don't want to ruffle any feathers. I just thought I would throw the Idea out there, as a month goes by really fast. It would be better to start planning sooner or later if there is any interest.
You are correct, @GetOutand4WD. @Fortis Overland is the man!

I'm game for the 3 day adventure! Did you have any particular destinations in mind?

Reactions: GetOutand4WD

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Shoot! I won't be able to make this. For some reason I'm not getting updates or notifications, I'll have to look in to that. I'll hopefully be able to make the March Meet-up!
I had the same problem. I missed all the discussion until the invite was sent out yesterday.

Hopefully the new app will alleviate some of these problems. They are testing it vigorously. I finally downloaded it yesterday to give it a look see.

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ

I hope the lack of people for this meet up doesn\'t deflate everyone\'s intrest. I think this is a great idea to get everyone together and in the outdoors. See new country and make new friends. My son and I had a great time on the last meet up!

@Fortis Overland is the head of the crew from what I gather and I don\'t want to ruffle any feathers. I just thought I would throw the Idea out there, as a month goes by really fast. It would be better to start planning sooner or later if there is any interest.
@GetOutand4WD I to have kids out of school. And I am in the process of planning to head west towards Canyonlands, Capitol Reef National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park UT, Zion UT, maybe Mojave National Preserve Death Valley CA March 21st through 29th. I have never been, I have no idea what is truly doable, but I am looking forward to an adventure.
If you are at all interested let me know.

DzrtShamrock

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Betts
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0AWV
I think that also an idea to gather more people we could make the meetup schedule more flexible.
For example instead of every 4 weeks, we can have a poll after each meetup to decide what’s going to be the next date, maybe after 20 days or 40, maybe Saturday or Sunday.
Just to avoid that if anyone can’t make it, doesn’t need to wait another whole month.

just a thought
Not a bad idea.
I seem to remember a comment being made about rotating what the focus of each meetup is (trail run, discussion/demonstration, skills development, etc). I'd like to discuss planning out topics for the events a little farther in advance - maybe put together a list of the things folks are interested in doing.

Also, did I read in the last event thread that someone on here's a HAM examiner?

Last edited:

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@GetOutand4WD I to have kids out of school. And I am in the process of planning to head west towards Canyonlands, Capitol Reef National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park UT, Zion UT, maybe Mojave National Preserve Death Valley CA March 21st through 29th. I have never been, I have no idea what is truly doable, but I am looking forward to an adventure.
If you are at all interested let me know.
That should be epic!

Do you plan to do anything like White Rim trail?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Also, did I read in the last event thread that someone on here's a HAM examiner?
I suppose that was me. How can I help?

The Pueblo West Amateur Radio Club hosts exam sessions monthly. I suspect we could find a scheduled session closer to you, however.

DzrtShamrock

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Betts
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0AWV
I suppose that was me. How can I help?

The Pueblo West Amateur Radio Club hosts exam sessions monthly. I suspect we could find a scheduled session closer to you, however.
Interesting. I've been studying for the Technician exam for the past couple of weeks. Haven't checked the local area for examiners though.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

@JDGreens do you have the GPS coordinates for the trailhead? I would rather meet at the trailhead then Woodland Park if it's significantly north of Woodland Park. And you are for sure that you are camping?
Since you will arrive also from Denver, I think we should think about changing trail for this weekend? I would gladly avoid the 2h drive down lol

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

You are correct, @GetOutand4WD. @Fortis Overland is the man!

I'm game for the 3 day adventure! Did you have any particular destinations in mind?
I don't have any ideas right now. Was hoping you all had some good ideas. LOL!
Going out West would be fun, but you would eat up a lot of your exploring time with road miles for a 3 day trip. 4 or 5 days would be much better. I'm about 6 to 7 hours from Moab. I imagine you are about the same. A days drive out, a couple days exploring and a days drive back. That would be a lot better.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Interesting. I've been studying for the Technician exam for the past couple of weeks. Haven't checked the local area for examiners though.
Here's a list of some of the upcoming exams:

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I don't have any ideas right now. Was hoping you all had some good ideas. LOL!
Going out West would be fun, but you would eat up a lot of your exploring time with road miles for a 3 day trip. 4 or 5 days would be much better. I'm about 6 to 7 hours from Moab. I imagine you are about the same. A days drive out, a couple days exploring and a days drive back. That would be a lot better.
Have you ever considered running part of the NMBDR?