Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

@GetOutand4WD I to have kids out of school. And I am in the process of planning to head west towards Canyonlands, Capitol Reef National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park UT, Zion UT, maybe Mojave National Preserve Death Valley CA March 21st through 29th. I have never been, I have no idea what is truly doable, but I am looking forward to an adventure.
If you are at all interested let me know.
That's sounds pretty epic! I know I have to head to Silver City, New Mexico for the first part of Spring Break. That is a long story in itself.

@Neal A. Tew and I were just agreeing an adventure would be fun.

Reactions: JCarter

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

Have you ever considered running part of the NMBDR?

There is a lot of cool stuff in New Mexico. I will be down In central New Mexico at the first part of Spring Break. I have toured a lot of NM on my Harley, and work in Trinidad, CO alot. It is a neat area. I'll check out that link. I would be down to scout around NM.

ropt

Rank I

Contributor III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
St John
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0RSA
So I see only 4 people that RSVP to the event and I don’t think @RedRunner87 is able to make it.

Is anyone else coming?
That's sounds pretty epic! I know I have to head to Silver City, New Mexico for the first part of Spring Break. That is a long story in itself.

@Neal A. Tew and I were just agreeing an adventure would be fun.
I'll be out in Moab during that same frame camping near Picture Frame Arch (BLM). Hit me up

Reactions: GetOutand4WD

ropt

Rank I

Contributor III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
St John
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0RSA
Looks like it's time to put the RTT back on :). Where are folks planning on camping? Wondering if I should bring the Tear Drop or just the RTT?

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

@JDGreens do you have the GPS coordinates for the trailhead? I would rather meet at the trailhead then Woodland Park if it's significantly north of Woodland Park. And you are for sure that you are camping?
The trail head is just about a 15-20 minute drive from that McDonald's just thought it would. Be a good place to use the bathroom (for anyone who has kids and gals along) and anything else while, also it's a little confusing where you go because your using a road through private property and goverment property. I'll try to copy and paste the coordinates to this post. I plan on being at the trail head by 9:45- 10
Shbarth trailhead coordinates 39.0024224, -105.0104875 This is as close as I can come to a trailhead, there isn't really an actual trailhead but this is were my buddy park his trailer the first time I ran this trail and it seemed just fine there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tacole

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Looks like it's time to put the RTT back on :). Where are folks planning on camping? Wondering if I should bring the Tear Drop or just the RTT?
I figure we will be off the trail by 2 pm. And we would camp somewhere off rampart range road. So that we can meet up with the full sized vehicles , we could meet at the spot were the picture was taken of the group back in January. The trail had some great areas that we could camp in. Also further up Rampart range road there are several even better secluded spots. One in particular the may or may not be assesable. But I think that full sided rig would have no issue with Mnt Herman area and we can camp somewthere as a group. Guys running full sized vehicles please don't hesitate to add what you are thinking?

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Guys running full sized vehicles please don't hesitate to add what you are thinking?
I'm still trying to figure out if I can swing it, but I'm probably game to meet up with you as you've suggested.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@Neal A. Tew I am not opposed to doing it. Does it also go by the enchanted Rockies trail name?
When are you planning to go?
I sent you a direct message so as not to hijack this thread. I forgot to answer that I don't have any immediate plans for either trail.

Reactions: JCarter

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
The trail head is just about a 15-20 minute drive from that McDonald's just thought it would. Be a good place to use the bathroom (for anyone who has kids and gals along) and anything else while, also it's a little confusing where you go because your using a road through private property and goverment property. I'll try to copy and paste the coordinates to this post. I plan on being at the trail head by 9:45- 10
Shbarth trailhead coordinates 39.0024224, -105.0104875 This is as close as I can come to a trailhead, there isn't really an actual trailhead but this is were my buddy park his trailer the first time I ran this trail and it seemed just fine there.
@JDGreens Alright, it looks like McDonald's (38.9903226,-105.0473913,223) it is. If I find my self running late I know were to try and find the group. I will be at a stargazing event the night before in Fort Collins, CO, so I may be pushing my luck. ;)

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
Since you will arrive also from Denver, I think we should think about changing trail for this weekend? I would gladly avoid the 2h drive down lol
@carlo_donz I am 20 miles North of Denver. :) Are you planning to camp the night, I am and therefore I am willing to drive further for this adventure. However, I agree two hours for a half-day 4x4 trip is farther than I normally like to travel and I am open to doing closer trails in the future.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

@carlo_donz I am 20 miles North of Denver. :) Are you planning to camp the night, I am and therefore I am willing to drive further for this adventure. However, I agree two hours for a half-day 4x4 trip is farther than I normally like to travel and I am open to doing closer trails in the future.
I am on the south side of the Denver area, I understand the extra time it takes to come down south, but for me it is all the same amount of time to get to any of these trails (except if I end up doing a trail in the upper region ie; Red featherlakes). But during the winter months the trails that are feasible to run, are heavier in snow pack and use, they become extremely icy. So that if we venture there in the middle of winter make sure we have chains. I'm game to run trails with you guys up there too especially in the spring and summer. I already run trails all over the front range area with the 4x4 club I belong to. But I want to do multi day trips that the club doesn't do a lot of. They are more of a meet at the trail run it and go home. Hope you guys can still make it down but I totally understand.

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

I am on the south side of the Denver area, I understand the extra time it takes to come down south, but for me it is all the same amount of time to get to any of these trails (except if I end up doing a trail in the upper region ie; Red featherlakes). But during the winter months the trails that are feasible to run, are heavier in snow pack and use, they become extremely icy. So that if we venture there in the middle of winter make sure we have chains. I'm game to run trails with you guys up there too especially in the spring and summer. I already run trails all over the front range area with the 4x4 club I belong to. But I want to do multi day trips that the club doesn't do a lot of. They are more of a meet at the trail run it and go home. Hope you guys can still make it down but I totally understand.
Traveling is part of it. If you want to meet up with certain clubs, and see other areas in the country. You got to travel! Sometimes it makes for long days and nights, but it's better than sitting at home on the couch. I really hope you have a good turn out. It sounds like a lot of fun!

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
@JDGreens I 2nd that, I am part of a four-wheel drive club up north and it's the same, I also would like to do longer trips.

Ifgravityfails

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

7972 Moondance Trail, Fountain, CO, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Atkins
Member #

I’m going to try to make it.
I haven’t had a lot of time off-road with my JK and want to put it through it’s paces.
The last time I was there was a year and a half ago with a Raptor and I turned around when it got narrow. Should be fun.

Reactions: JDGreens

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Traveling is part of it. If you want to meet up with certain clubs, and see other areas in the country. You got to travel! Sometimes it makes for long days and nights, but it's better than sitting at home on the couch. I really hope you have a good turn out. It sounds like a lot of fun!
Totally agree, better than sitting at home watching reruns of the Brady Bunch. A couple hour drive (2-3 epasodes) and your crossing hairs with history, scenery, mother nature, all kinds of animals. (A good pair of HD binoculars brings them in crystal clear).

Reactions: GetOutand4WD

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Guys, sorry but I won't make it this weekend, unfortunately.
I got a job interview scheduled for Monday so I will need that time to prepare it.

Have fun!

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Guys, sorry but I won't make it this weekend, unfortunately.
I got a job interview scheduled for Monday so I will need that time to prepare it.

Have fun!
Sorry you can't make it. Good luck with the interview, my wife had a interview last week for a job. Anxiously waiting, it's so daunting to make a carrier change at our age.