Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Ten Eyck
Member #

I’m in a 2015 JK Rubi. 3.5 in with 35s. Next big thing is front and rear bumpers. Still undecided on which but leaning towards Wilco. Haven’t been out anywhere around here yet other than some hunting camp trips. Other than that got a few little odds and ends to throw on, new good latches and some mounts.View attachment 125676
I just put bumpers on my wifes 15 jk 2 door and they were the easiest things to install on it. She got some ebay specials cause she just likes the look but doesn't go offroad. I took her through some flexy bits in my dodge and she thought we were calling a tow truck lol she's just not into it. I like the after market support for jeeps but i hit my head on the roll bars since im 6'5. That new jl sounds awesome, theres guys getting 20mpg on 40" tires, holy shit thats awesome i average 10.

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

I had a set of good year wrangler mtrs for awhile and they did great, i got them because my biddy had them and got around in sandy rivers and banks in 2wd with no problems. I get what you're saying casper about the fast paced. I kinda enjoy the slower paced stuff now though so I'm not checking my phone constantly at work. Speaking of tech talk to i think I'm gonna try and build my relay block soon for my lockers and lights. I see people getting those s pods and pre built relay things and i just can't justify paying 350 for something i can make for a third of the price. Not everyones the same though and there's nothing wrong with that
Coolz.

Yeah, building is half the fun over buying... sometimes.

There was a guy on a jeep forum that used to build accessory panels for a decent price something like this.

I never did get one, and not even sure if he’s still around.

I do see convenience of buy a complete system. But sometimes the complete is not exactly what a person is looking for.

Painless Wiring has a nice setup called the Trail Rocker. Might be something to look at for a ready made deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Casper66

jakeandhisdodge

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Ten Eyck
Member #

Painless makes some of the best wiring stuff I've seen, they really make it...painless.
Ba dun tis

I'm like 2 bottle of wine in tonight. I need to start planning out an on board air set up, i think I'll skip the arb one and go with this cheaper one.

Nomad_JK

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

VA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
C
Member #

I just put bumpers on my wifes 15 jk 2 door and they were the easiest things to install on it. She got some ebay specials cause she just likes the look but doesn't go offroad. I took her through some flexy bits in my dodge and she thought we were calling a tow truck lol she's just not into it. I like the after market support for jeeps but i hit my head on the roll bars since im 6'5. That new jl sounds awesome, theres guys getting 20mpg on 40" tires, holy shit thats awesome i average 10.
Yeah when I lived in Hawaii I did cheaper smitty bumpers on my TJ and it was stupid simple. But same deal you said, didn’t really get much off road out there. And yeah dude I test drive one when they first came out. I just didn’t want to pay that price haha. I’ll say my TJ felt like a go kart compared to the JK and JLs but the JL felt more like a car car comparatively.

jakeandhisdodge

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Ten Eyck
Member #

Yeah when I lived in Hawaii I did cheaper smitty bumpers on my TJ and it was stupid simple. But same deal you said, didn’t really get much off road out there. And yeah dude I test drive one when they first came out. I just didn’t want to pay that price haha. I’ll say my TJ felt like a go kart compared to the JK and JLs but the JL felt more like a car car comparatively.
I really want that new smittybilt 12k bumper, its like x3 or something. Harbor freight has the badlands apex which has synthetic rope and is supposed to be a warn killer

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Yeah I feel you on the pace. Tbh I just got active on here. All that being said, let’s get something going. What’s everyone’s ride? Or where is a dream trip?
Welcome!

Vehicles are a 14 Jeep JKU. mild lift with a few other things. Then the 19 Tacoma OR. Trying to keep the Taco stock for now.

Dream trip is trying to get outta town.

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

@Casper66

I wanted something a little more beefier than a stock replacement. I think these also have the snowflake on them as well for crap weather. Haha

Thinking of a possible trip up to the Wife’s home town in Canada this winter if things play out right. Might need the flake up there.
With the tread pattern and siping they should do well i would think

Reactions: Hafaday

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

I had a set of good year wrangler mtrs for awhile and they did great, i got them because my biddy had them and got around in sandy rivers and banks in 2wd with no problems. I get what you're saying casper about the fast paced. I kinda enjoy the slower paced stuff now though so I'm not checking my phone constantly at work. Speaking of tech talk to i think I'm gonna try and build my relay block soon for my lockers and lights. I see people getting those s pods and pre built relay things and i just can't justify paying 350 for something i can make for a third of the price. Not everyones the same though and there's nothing wrong with that
I could weld and fab a lot of things. electrical? well i can do lighting fine but anything more complicated and i will have to turn to a prefabbed system. We all have our strengths but electrical isn't mine. i applaud you for being able to do so

jakeandhisdodge

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern Virginia
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Ten Eyck
Member #

I could weld and fab a lot of things. electrical? well i can do lighting fine but anything more complicated and i will have to turn to a prefabbed system. We all have our strengths but electrical isn't mine. i applaud you for being able to do so
My welds are always accompanied by a grinder. Definitely a true statement about strengths

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Coolz.

Yeah, building is half the fun over buying... sometimes.

There was a guy on a jeep forum that used to build accessory panels for a decent price something like this.

I never did get one, and not even sure if he’s still around.

I do see convenience of buy a complete system. But sometimes the complete is not exactly what a person is looking for.

Painless Wiring has a nice setup called the Trail Rocker. Might be something to look at for a ready made deal.
I hadn't heard of the painless one only Blue Sea and SPOD I will have to look into this. I used painless when I rewired the Camaro and it was complete and fairly self explanatory

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Welcome!

Vehicles are a 14 Jeep JKU. mild lift with a few other things. Then the 19 Tacoma OR. Trying to keep the Taco stock for now.

Dream trip is trying to get outta town.
Work on that Tacoma there's about as much aftermarket stuff for them as jeeps and they are fun to work on

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

I hadn't heard of the painless one only Blue Sea and SPOD I will have to look into this. I used painless when I rewired the Camaro and it was complete and fairly self explanatory
The "rocker" has been out for a few years now. You can go with a complete or partial system. Partial being, you supply the switches.

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

My welds are always accompanied by a grinder. Definitely a true statement about strengths
I was a body man / welder fabricator for over 30 years. welding takes practice and it doesn't hurt to have some one experienced looking over your shoulder and helping out. The beauty of it is if you mess up cut it or grind it out and fix it.

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

The "rocker" has been out for a few years now. You can go with a complete or partial system. Partial being, you supply the switches.
Thanks I have run out of switch blanks so I am going to have to figure out something if I add the lights to the roof rack. I am planning on installing the rack this weekend if i can get all these leaves clleaned up

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

You killing me!

A friend of mine that has converted from a Jeep to the Taco, is doing his damn best of trying to get me to mod it out.
I had an '85 CJ and loved working on that as much as playing with it. The Tacoma has been the first IFS i have worked on but it is pretty simple and fun. Suspensions for your truck are easily found and installed but you know that. The fella I deal with for armor makes some really nice stuff for third gens and came out with a hybrid front bumper that is really nice. In the end we all have to do what we are comfortable with and if staying stock is your goal then cool. Mine isn't built like most others around here it is built to fit our needs and my needs are different. No rock crawlng for me hell my old back won't take all the bouncing around

Casper66

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Culpeper, Va.
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Good conversations in here tonight very enjoyable. Going tohave to get a meet up going here soon maybe in F'burg or a local vineyard.