Northern VA / MD Monthly Meetups | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Northern VA / MD Monthly Meetups

Discussion in 'Overland Bound Meetups' started by Chris Jones, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Guest, Did you know you can change the look of your Overland Bound forums? At the bottom of this page look for the Style Chooser! All previous and new light and dark themes are available. Pick something you like!
Hi Guest, Become a Member to gain access to the Member Forums, Member Map, Member Calendar of Events, and Rally Point overland trip planner! Click this link "Learn More" for more information!
  1. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Online Community Director
    Staff Member Moderator Member

Member #:

Map
    We decided to pull some of Maryland in with the Northern VA meetups for the time being, as there are only a few out there and they appear to be closer to where that meetup will likely be than they are to Eastern MD. That, said, it could all change in the blink of an eye as we get things going and this all gets worked out.

How many of y'all are north of Fredericksburg VA? You are the folks we are targeting for this monthly meetup. I don't have a date or location picked for this yet but those will come soon. Right now I want to get a feel for how many folks are interested and where you are all located.

**As of right now I am working on this one alone. I would love to get someone from the area to jump in and be the boots on the ground or even take over completely. If you are interested let me know.

I've posted below the basic vision for what this all can look like. You may have seen it or parts of it in another thread I posted for the northeast. I'm not going to reinvent the wheel so I've copied it here below.

What is a meetup? It's whatever you make it. Most of the time its meeting at a local bar, coffee shop or restaurant to sit down and chat about everything under the sun. Sometimes it's a Saturday picnic at a park to get the whole family out and meet other adventurous families. Sometimes everyone is busy and a month gets skipped. But at its core it is a very casual way to meet other folks in the community, form friendships and build relationships with others who share the adventurous spirit of Overland Bound. This causes greater participation in the larger OB sponsored events and member led events because the barrier of not knowing folks is gone and you just want to have fun with the friends you already have and the ones you know you will make.

BWSracing, dziner, Exped4x4 and 2 others like this.
  2. Exped4x4

Exped4x4 Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Hey Chris, im happy to help out with this. Im in Manassas and know of some good meetup spots and day trails.
    -Mike

100RNR, geekyadam and TerryD like this.
  3. Wolvee

Wolvee ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
    Staff Member Moderator Founder 500 Member

Member #:

I'm down in Williamsburg and up for a meet.

4. yabbaz

yabbaz Rank II

Member #:

Map
    our eastern VA meetup will probably end up meeting in williamsburg.

5. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Online Community Director
    Staff Member Moderator Member

Member #:

Map
    So... @Exped4x4 has been working on on this for a bit and there has already been one meetup. So I am going to turn this over to him and let him run with it.
    Thanks @Exped4x4 for volunteering your time and knowledge to take this on. I'm excited to see this gain some traction!

Bear Wrangler and TerryD like this.
  6. Exped4x4

Exped4x4 Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Thank ya Chris!

That beong said, there will be a meetup in Clifton VA this Sunday (Apr 23) at 11am. There is a great cafe, irish pub, and some nearby trails if y'all wanna get a little technical later. Happy to answer any questions!

-Mike

geekyadam and TerryD like this.
  7. Memphis

Memphis Rank I

Member #:

Map
    I'm out in manassas too. I might be able to make it out this Sunday depending on what's on my to do list haha.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

8. O2BTXN

O2BTXN Rank 0

Member #:

Map
    So glad there's a local meet up in our area! Wish I had stumbled upon this yesterday, not hours after today's meet up! The hubby and I are looking forward to meeting new folks. We'll keep a lookout for future dates.

Exped4x4 likes this.
  9. Exped4x4

Exped4x4 Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Awesome meetuo today with a couple local guys and fellow OB members. Coffee, brews, food, and trails. Awesome Sunday. Lookin forward to seein yall there next month! tmp_18008-20170423_151721429382310.jpg tmp_18008-20170423_151721429382310.jpg tmp_18008-20170423_1509231061325585.jpg tmp_18008-20170423_145158186923941.jpg tmp_18008-20170423_144801733869028.jpg tmp_18008-20170423_143335672028550.jpg tmp_18008-20170423_1430331306204995.jpg

Attached Files:

10. TerryD

TerryD Rank IV

Member #:

Ham Callsign:
    KT4OZ
    Map
    Looks like a fun ride! I need to find some more trails like that in my area. Hopefully if the meet-up takes off down here some of the guys can show me some.

11. AG Sheep

AG Sheep Rank III

Map
    I am up in Waldorf. Always looking to meet some more people to go out with. Probably will not be able to make a Sunday meet do to work.

12. Memphis

Memphis Rank I

Member #:

Map
    Sorry I missed this one! Looks like it was a good time. Had family stuff come up but next one I'm definitely going to be there.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Exped4x4 likes this.
  13. Exped4x4

Exped4x4 Rank III

Member #:

Map
    No worries! Ill look at doin a Saturday meet mexy month!

14. AG Sheep

AG Sheep Rank III

Map
    I would be down for this. Maybe a meet up and lunch/dinner at a local brewery?

geekyadam and Exped4x4 like this.
  15. Exped4x4

Exped4x4 Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Always a solid plan, I like it! I have a few in mind that could work very nicely, I'll keep everyone posted as it develops.

16. AG Sheep

AG Sheep Rank III

Map
    Awesome! I have something on the last Saturday in May so wouldn't be able to do anything that day! Stoked onthis though.

Exped4x4 likes this.
  17. O2BTXN

O2BTXN Rank 0

Member #:

Map
    Looks like y'all had fun! Hopefully we'll get a chance to meet up next month!

Exped4x4 likes this.
  18. Exped4x4

Exped4x4 Rank III

Member #:

Map
    Ok y'all.
    So for one of the meetups in the near future, I'm thinkin it'll be Scavenger hunt style. The actual meetup will be at the finish line, there will be prizes. Only a handful of checkpoints, within 10 miles of the finish. I will go into more detail later, but are y'all in?!

geekyadam, AG Sheep and TerryD like this.
  19. AG Sheep

AG Sheep Rank III

Map
    What would be the guidelines? Like utilization of a map or a GPS? Dependent on how it's done and the terrain it's done on then it could be a good time.

20. whitneysc

whitneysc Rank I

Member #:

Map
    Sorry I missed the meetup. really looking forward to this.
    We could combine with Geocaching and make this lots of fun.
    I work in McLean, live in Gainesville and usually wheel (or ride) east of 81 toward Warrenton, Flint Hill and Front Royal.

Ryan Hoffman and Exped4x4 like this.