US East Northern VA / MD Monthly Meetups

• HTML tutorial

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
You all have have fun. I work that weekend.
Honestly, this is the first time in years that I have had weekends off.

BIG Question though is were do we want to go? Do we want to keep hitting GWNF or do we want to look else ware? I can post a thread on ExPo to see if they have any recommendations. I do not know of anything closer than that for a "day run".

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Honestly, this is the first time in years that I have had weekends off.

BIG Question though is were do we want to go? Do we want to keep hitting GWNF or do we want to look else ware? I can post a thread on ExPo to see if they have any recommendations. I do not know of anything closer than that for a "day run".
Rite rite. Not to side track the thread. I work a weekend every 5-6 weeks.

Something to think about are the seasonal trails that come open this time of year (closed spring thru fall). The down side is, the hunters out there might not like a group running out there.

smplone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling VA
Member #

All depends what you want to do within the bandwidth allowed. Ranges from parks to formal camp sites to off the grid unmaintained roads with primitive sites.

Next question is to determine if you need anything or anyone to complete said objectives.

For the money and time - GWNF is your ticket for exploring and camping 1-2 days. About only place that will get you out of cell range, local traffic and give you full experience.

Couple closer day trip places you can pay to wheel and camp but still expect to travel to route 81 to access. Also couple great places with taller peaks on other side of Virginia. Still a few off-road parks within same travel distance if you just wanted to wheel and test truck components.

IMO thank God these places are at the distance away that they are. Any closer to the cities and I would have to go much further away to get away.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

All depends what you want to do within the bandwidth allowed. Ranges from parks to formal camp sites to off the grid unmaintained roads with primitive sites.

Next question is to determine if you need anything or anyone to complete said objectives.

For the money and time - GWNF is your ticket for exploring and camping 1-2 days. About only place that will get you out of cell range, local traffic and give you full experience.

Couple closer day trip places you can pay to wheel and camp but still expect to travel to route 81 to access. Also couple great places with taller peaks on other side of Virginia. Still a few off-road parks within same travel distance if you just wanted to wheel and test truck components.

IMO thank God these places are at the distance away that they are. Any closer to the cities and I would have to go much further away to get away.

Damn Skippy.

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
I am not one for offroad parks but it honestly sounds like GWNF would be the best bet. Would probably do an overnight thing just because of how far the drive is.

Another other recommendations?

whitneysc

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Northern Virginia
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Whitney
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Can't pull off camping this close to the Holidays... but I'm up for a day trip

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

smplone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling VA
Member #

How did this past weekend go? Anyone make it out and where did you go?

smplone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling VA
Member #

I had some friends visit GWNF and they said some locals trashed the bottom. Thinking of setting up a clean up day.

Reactions: AG Sheep

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
I had some friends visit GWNF and they said some locals trashed the bottom. Thinking of setting up a clean up day.

With the encroaching holidays my Saturdays are booked but I would be down.

Still looking for options on the 16th.

Ryan Hoffman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Somerset, PA
Member #

Keep me posted on a day for clean up. I live about 4 hours away, but my wife and I would love to take part in the clean up day

Reactions: smplone

smplone

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling VA
Member #

As far as suggestions, they have been thrown out crosses discussed against multiple threads IMO. Best one can do for solid advice is do some independent research on somewhere you want to go and anyone with info will share or advise.

The more the merrier for clean up details. But yeah my Saturday’s are packed as well. Maybe Sunday for me.

AG Sheep

Rank IV

Traveler I

Maryland
As far as suggestions, they have been thrown out crosses discussed against multiple threads IMO. Best one can do for solid advice is do some independent research on somewhere you want to go and anyone with info will share or advise.

The more the merrier for clean up details. But yeah my Saturday’s are packed as well. Maybe Sunday for me.

Oh yea, been doing some looking around and looking at Gaia. Meant it in the aspect that we still had no plans for the 16th so trail clean up day could happen then.

Reactions: smplone