US East Northern VA / MD Monthly Meetups

• HTML tutorial

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

@DRJ Yeah I was thinking about the Nokesville route that @KephartRC is referring to. Says 66 is faster, but that may include sitting at 5mph for the first 2 hours...

That route could still work well if you met us somewhere along the way. Your right though, Springfield to Woodbridge during rush hour is brutal. Although, you'll have multiple riders... You could use HOA EZ-PASS for free. Either way no worries, we'll chat day of and figure the details out. All that matters is that we get out of the traffic and the lights and the people for the weekend. Can't wait!
It is 100% guaranteed to be faster from Woodbridge up 234 to 66 than going 495 to 66! I am on Route 1 between Dale and Dumfries (234) and from here I can get to I-81 and my biggest set backs are lights. If you want a route path to avoid heavy traffic hit me up.

Sorry I've been MIA guys. Was stressed figuring out this Steering Rack issue for the Tundra ($2000+ [emoji30]), then did the Appalachian Toyota Round Up last weekend. But I'm back now. Gonna figure out my schedules and see if I can make this trip.

David C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nootherids

Rank V

Influencer II

Also, if you're coming from different directions the two best meetups without complication are at the Sheetz in Haymarket off of US-15 or the Walmart outside Front Royal which is right next to the highway and has tons of gas and food. Or just a big parking lot. ;)

Reactions: geekyadam

Nick80

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Haymarket, Virginia, USA
First Name
NICHOLAS
Last Name
Roozen
Member #

Also, if you're coming from different directions the two best meetups without complication are at the Sheetz in Haymarket off of US-15 or the Walmart outside Front Royal which is right next to the highway and has tons of gas and food. Or just a big parking lot. ;)

Friday or sat? Hay market sheez sound fine

FJ60pete

Rank 0

Traveler I

Alexandria VA
Member #

I really wish I had seen this thread sooner! I'll be taking a similar trip later in the fall once the leaves turn but I am always game for a few runs up flagpole a year. The camp site is a large field to the right just after you pull onto the trail. It's pretty tough to miss. There are dozens of youtube videos that show you not on the trail but also what the entrances and exits look like so if you're arriving after dark you have an idea of where you're going. I have a commitment on Saturday otherwise I'd sign up! Maybe I can get out of it!

Reactions: Epic Overland

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I really wish I had seen this thread sooner! I'll be taking a similar trip later in the fall once the leaves turn but I am always game for a few runs up flagpole a year. The camp site is a large field to the right just after you pull onto the trail. It's pretty tough to miss. There are dozens of youtube videos that show you not on the trail but also what the entrances and exits look like so if you're arriving after dark you have an idea of where you're going. I have a commitment on Saturday otherwise I'd sign up! Maybe I can get out of it!
So there's a field we can set up camp just inside the trail, so we don't need to stay at Stokesville Campground? I'm game if that's the case. @DRJ sound good to you?
It is 100% guaranteed to be faster from Woodbridge up 234 to 66 than going 495 to 66! I am on Route 1 between Dale and Dumfries (234) and from here I can get to I-81 and my biggest set backs are lights. If you want a route path to avoid heavy traffic hit me up.

Sorry I've been MIA guys. Was stressed figuring out this Steering Rack issue for the Tundra ($2000+ [emoji30]), then did the Appalachian Toyota Round Up last weekend. But I'm back now. Gonna figure out my schedules and see if I can make this trip.

David C

Thanks man good to see you back in the forums haha
Next time we hang out I want to hear exactly what happened to your power steering that day out in Clifton!

Epic Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Washington, D.C.
Member #

Feel free to camp wherever you like. I suggested Stokesville Campground because it's a great spot and close to the meet up location. Whatever the case, I hope to see you guys at the Stokesville Market Saturday morning!

100RNR

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fredericksburg, VA, USA
First Name
E
Last Name
R
Member #

So there's a field we can set up camp just inside the trail, so we don't need to stay at Stokesville Campground? I'm game if that's the case. @DRJ sound good to you?

Next time we hang out I want to hear exactly what happened to your power steering that day out in Clifton!
I want to know what happened, too!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Sounds good to me. I'm good with any camp spot. If there is a free site off of the trail that's open for use, then why not! I may be getting the entire day off of work on Friday (if I get called into work tomorrow), so I may even head up early and meet up with @Bennett and anyone else that heads up early and have some time to check out the trails.

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

@KephartRC

Are you going to be available on Friday (daytime) if we can find out who's showing up early and run some trails in the daytime before other OB members arrive in the evening?

Bennett

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Baltimore, MD
Member #

Sounds good to me. I'm good with any camp spot. If there is a free site off of the trail that's open for use, then why not! I may be getting the entire day off of work on Friday (if I get called into work tomorrow), so I may even head up early and meet up with @Bennett and anyone else that heads up early and have some time to check out the trails.
@DRJ let me know if you are heading down early. If so, I will swing down your way and meet you in NOVA.

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

@DRJ let me know if you are heading down early. If so, I will swing down your way and meet you in NOVA.
I had to work today (normally my day off), so it looks like I'm taking Friday off instead. I checked the RSVP, and so far it looks like @geekyadam, @wk2blackpearl, @KephartRC, @Nick80, @Bennett, and I are definite's. @TerryD, and @WK2EcoD RSVP'd as maybe's.

@Bennett, I'll send you a PM so we can coordinate a meeting spot in NOVA that day. If anyone else is planning to leave early that day, let us know. If you are ok with this plan, we can check out the sites near the trails and claim an open site that will be big enough to accommodate the number of rigs that will be joining us. Then we can post the coordinates to the site for the rest to plug into their GPS. Hopefully we can find a spot that can accommodate ~6 rigs (?). If not, I suggest we head out to Stokesville and camp out there. Thoughts?

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I had to work today (normally my day off), so it looks like I'm taking Friday off instead. I checked the RSVP, and so far it looks like @geekyadam, @wk2blackpearl, @KephartRC, @Nick80, @Bennett, and I are definite's. @TerryD, and @WK2EcoD RSVP'd as maybe's.

@Bennett, I'll send you a PM so we can coordinate a meeting spot in NOVA that day. If anyone else is planning to leave early that day, let us know. If you are ok with this plan, we can check out the sites near the trails and claim an open site that will be big enough to accommodate the number of rigs that will be joining us. Then we can post the coordinates to the site for the rest to plug into their GPS. Hopefully we can find a spot that can accommodate ~6 rigs (?). If not, I suggest we head out to Stokesville and camp out there. Thoughts?
We're. Just remember, the meeting point for Saturday morning was going to be that Stokesville Market, so if we keep that meet point and stay in the field on the trail, we'll have to all drive from the trail to the market in the morning then back to the trail. Maybe we scrap the market meet point for Saturday morning? Just like Kephart said, the campground was just a good location near that market.

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

We're. Just remember, the meeting point for Saturday morning was going to be that Stokesville Market, so if we keep that meet point and stay in the field on the trail, we'll have to all drive from the trail to the market in the morning then back to the trail. Maybe we scrap the market meet point for Saturday morning? Just like Kephart said, the campground was just a good location near that market.
Agreed, if most of the group shows up at the campsite the night before, we can switch the Saturday meet up spot to be at the site. The only thing is that since the free sites aren't guaranteed to be open, we won't know until we get there on Friday. The trick will be to find a site that isn't too tough to get to. We have people rolling in at night time and possibly on their own and I personally wouldn't want the trail leading to the site to be too rough and possibly get people stranded without cell signal.

Epic Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Washington, D.C.
Member #

Agreed, if most of the group shows up at the campsite the night before, we can switch the Saturday meet up spot to be at the site. The only thing is that since the free sites aren't guaranteed to be open, we won't know until we get there on Friday. The trick will be to find a site that isn't too tough to get to. We have people rolling in at night time and possibly on their own and I personally wouldn't want the trail leading to the site to be too rough and possibly get people stranded without cell signal.
Cell service is spotty at best is the area.

DRJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Springfield, VA
Member #

Cell service is spotty at best is the area.
Hopefully @Bennett or I will get good enough cell signal to notify everyone of the new site. If not, I'll head out towards town to plug in the GPS location and then head back to the site. There is a possibility that there just won't be any open spots in which case, we'll provide an update and head out to Stokesville campgrounds.