Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

Welcome to the OB forums Vicki. Right off hand I don't know where Edgewood is but I'll look it up. Tell us about yourself and your rig. If you have a pic of your rig that would help a lot too. You can also use the Daily check in forum if you want to keep a check on what's going on there. Just go to the forums section below and click. It will give you a whole bunch of categories talked about in the forums. Merry Christmas :-)
I'm located about 30 miles E of Albuquerque. I have had 4x's forever, ok for at least the last 15 years. Owned and modded many diff vehicles. Currently and hopefully the last is a 2019 Ford F250 4x CC. Largest truck I have ever owned. Well see how it handles off road soon. I attached the pix to my site photo. There is so much to this site its a little hard to navigate but Ill get the hang of it. I joined NM4W out here in NM a few years back. They are an off road group. Fun but all Jeep runs and really nothing for the big rigs. Ill be posting some of my pictures around the forum. I also own a 2017 25' Coachmen TT, reason for purchasing the Ford. But,,, sometimes I just want to pack up and go for the weekend with out all the hassle. Thus, I found you guys. Now lots of work on the truck to do to get it ready to go.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I'm located about 30 miles E of Albuquerque. I have had 4x's forever, ok for at least the last 15 years. Owned and modded many diff vehicles. Currently and hopefully the last is a 2019 Ford F250 4x CC. Largest truck I have ever owned. Well see how it handles off road soon. I attached the pix to my site photo. There is so much to this site its a little hard to navigate but Ill get the hang of it. I joined NM4W out here in NM a few years back. They are an off road group. Fun but all Jeep runs and really nothing for the big rigs. Ill be posting some of my pictures around the forum. I also own a 2017 25' Coachmen TT, reason for purchasing the Ford. But,,, sometimes I just want to pack up and go for the weekend with out all the hassle. Thus, I found you guys. Now lots of work on the truck to do to get it ready to go.
I'm a member of the NM4wheelers but from a distance (no membership fees) They are pretty active and I only attended one meeting and had to leave before it even started. I met some pretty nice people though. One gal had a big ol Hummer and said she was a Off road driving instructor. You probably know her. I get their postings through email regurarly. I have a full size old 84 Dodge Ram 250 but only use it around here because it drinks gas like an alcoholic drinks beer. I'm still working on two different rigs for my Overlanding. One for the boon docks (2000 Land Rover Discovery 2) and one for just camping. The one for camping (2008 Ford 4w Escape) I will be pulling a little 13" Scamp behind it. Happy to have ya with us, Many good people here and many good rigs of various breeds ! Take care

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

I'm a member of the NM4wheelers but from a distance (no membership fees) They are pretty active and I only attended one meeting and had to leave before it even started. I met some pretty nice people though. One gal had a big ol Hummer and said she was a Off road driving instructor. You probably know her. I get their postings through email regurarly. I have a full size old 84 Dodge Ram 250 but only use it around here because it drinks gas like an alcoholic drinks beer. I'm still working on two different rigs for my Overlanding. One for the boon docks (2000 Land Rover Discovery 2) and one for just camping. The one for camping (2008 Ford 4w Escape) I will be pulling a little 13" Scamp behind it. Happy to have ya with us, Many good people here and many good rigs of various breeds ! Take care
Here a pix or two of me on some of the runs. I don’t have that truck anymore. 2016. I’m not sure who owned the Hummer. But I met quite a few folks. It’s just the one vehicle for me. My daughter wrecked my 1998 S10 4d 4x Blazer. She now has a 2015 Escape. That thing goes through almost anything. Ah a little scamp they are pretty cool. Glad to meet ya.

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Here a pix or two of me on some of the runs. I don’t have that truck anymore. 2016. I’m not sure who owned the Hummer. But I met quite a few folks. It’s just the one vehicle for me. My daughter wrecked my 1998 S10 4d 4x Blazer. She now has a 2015 Escape. That thing goes through almost anything. Ah a little scamp they are pretty cool. Glad to meet ya.
You live 30 miles east of Albuq., I know now but I've only been there once. Is it out I-40 ? I think I went there on my way back from Santa Fe one time. I went to a wounded animal sanctuary there I think in 2013. I'm pretty sure I've never been east of ABQ except that one time. I know it I'd nice country up there.

I think the Hummer lady was from Santa Fe.

Where were you in the pic of you in the rocks ?

I love my Escape but its just to low to the ground for trails. Good for National park disbursed camping though.

Check out the post on page 26 # 501. That group of guys have a good trail they traveled awhile back. It has 4 stages. They did the stage 7&6 and plan to do 5&4 soon. I hope to make it when the trip is planned. Maybe you might like the trip too. Check it out.
Keep on rolling Vicki :- )

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

You live 30 miles east of Albuq., I know now but I've only been there once. Is it out I-40 ? I think I went there on my way back from Santa Fe one time. I went to a wounded animal sanctuary there I think in 2013. I'm pretty sure I've never been east of ABQ except that one time. I know it I'd nice country up there.

I think the Hummer lady was from Santa Fe.

Where were you in the pic of you in the rocks ?

I love my Escape but its just to low to the ground for trails. Good for National park disbursed camping though.

Check out the post on page 26 # 501. That group of guys have a good trail they traveled awhile back. It has 4 stages. They did the stage 7&6 and plan to do 5&4 soon. I hope to make it when the trip is planned. Maybe you might like the trip too. Check it out.
Keep on rolling Vicki :- )
I’ll check out the page. I was behind the wheel. :) has my daughter spotting the passenger side
IMG_4817.JPG

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I’ll check out the page. I was behind the wheel. :) has my daughter spotting the passenger side
View attachment 130630
LOL, I figured you were driving, I wanted to know where is this place ? Strange looking rock, looks like clay in the pic.
That's a nice truck, what tire are you running ? Looks like all the rigs run that brand.

Do you have just one sibling ?

I see what you mean about jeeps. I bet those guys are just waiting to see you fail in your full size. Unless the place is just to small for my Dodge Ram 250 to fit, I think it will go anywhere a jeep can go with the right tires !

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

LOL, I figured you were driving, I wanted to know where is this place ? Strange looking rock, looks like clay in the pic.
That's a nice truck, what tire are you running ? Looks like all the rigs run that brand.

Do you have just one sibling ?

I see what you mean about jeeps. I bet those guys are just waiting to see you fail in your full size. Unless the place is just to small for my Dodge Ram 250 to fit, I think it will go anywhere a jeep can go with the right tires !
-------------------------------------
I believe its the Rio Puerco area West of Rio Rancho. we were at the top of the mountain... AND.... Yes those Jeeps were waiting for me to make a mistake. The truck is a 2016 Chevy Colorado. 2nd year of the new model. I showed them. HaHaHa It was all jeeps except for a Blazer late 80s and a full sized model. They were impressed since I am a girl and not in a Jeep.

My tires are Mickey Thompson MTZ P3, Excellent tires, they allowed me to keep up with them. The Colorado had a Level live and I put 35s on. The next vehicle, Dodge, I also ran MT Deegans, another excellent tire. The current Ford I also am running MT MTZs. I tried the Nitto Ridge Grappler, hybrid, nope..

Just one brother for me.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-------------------------------------
I believe its the Rio Puerco area West of Rio Rancho. we were at the top of the mountain... AND.... Yes those Jeeps were waiting for me to make a mistake. The truck is a 2016 Chevy Colorado. 2nd year of the new model. I showed them. HaHaHa It was all jeeps except for a Blazer late 80s and a full sized model. They were impressed since I am a girl and not in a Jeep.

My tires are Mickey Thompson MTZ P3, Excellent tires, they allowed me to keep up with them. The Colorado had a Level live and I put 35s on. The next vehicle, Dodge, I also ran MT Deegans, another excellent tire. The current Ford I also am running MT MTZs. I tried the Nitto Ridge Grappler, hybrid, nope..

Just one brother for me.
Which Ford did you buy ? You had a Chevy then a Dodge and now a Ford. Which one do you like the best and why did you change brands each time you bought a new rig ? Seems like the majority of OB'ers here drive Toyotas, both SUV and pickup's although that seems to be changing as American makes are making a strong come back in 4x4 technology. If I were to buy a new rig ( I wont be anytime soon ) it would have to be a Ford f150 4x4 extra cab short bed I think. I'd rather have the new Ford Bronco when they come out, I'm not fond of the Ranger styling in stock form.
Many off roaders are leaning towards diesel's these days and I'm not sure if thats not the way to go.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I have a 4x4 F150 extended cab, medium (6.5') bed. Very happy with it, although of course the long/wide wheelbase sometimes limits you.
Have you ever been on a fireroad -trail you could not get through ? That would be about as bad a road as I would ever be on. Comfort mean a lot on the trails for me and my Land Rover Discovery gives me that and the ability to go anywhere except the most extreme which I have no interest in doing.

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

No issues on normal FS roads, eg in the Gila. White Rim trail was easy but scary from time to tome. Engineer and Imogene pass wee a bit scrape-y in places but no danger of not being able to get through.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I’m in the se
Yo Mike, we are here. I'm in the SW corner @ Silver City area. I don't know why the Map dosent show more of us but stick around on this thread and search the other forums and you will find a lot of w. texans, new mexicans in the OB. Welcome aboard and let us know all about your rig and what you want to do with it in travel and building.

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

Which Ford did you buy ? You had a Chevy then a Dodge and now a Ford. Which one do you like the best and why did you change brands each time you bought a new rig ? Seems like the majority of OB'ers here drive Toyotas, both SUV and pickup's although that seems to be changing as American makes are making a strong come back in 4x4 technology. If I were to buy a new rig ( I wont be anytime soon ) it would have to be a Ford f150 4x4 extra cab short bed I think. I'd rather have the new Ford Bronco when they come out, I'm not fond of the Ranger styling in stock form.
Many off roaders are leaning towards diesel's these days and I'm not sure if thats not the way to go.
The Ranger looks a tad bit like the Colorado. Especially in the windows. I’ve owned way more vehicles than a person should. Each one was good and bad. I’ve changed for what I’ve needed at the time. I have the ford because I’m pulling the 25ft TT. I’m glad the big boys are back. Eventually I’m wanting to FT RV but we’ll see. I looked at the F150 but the payload wasn’t there. It was a little more than the dodge. The new SUVs are all looking the same now. Not like the older models. As for a diesel. I don’t run miles like I used to which is what they are meant to do. Also maintenance is high and I’m not pulling a a huge TT so gas is fine with me.

I was going to head to elephant butte with the trailer this weekend, already reserved my site and the winds kicked up pretty bad. Gusts over 40. So making a day trip tomorrow and at least spend some time in my site. LOL. Have to be flexible I guess. NM Winds ugh!!!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The Ranger looks a tad bit like the Colorado. Especially in the windows. I’ve owned way more vehicles than a person should. Each one was good and bad. I’ve changed for what I’ve needed at the time. I have the ford because I’m pulling the 25ft TT. I’m glad the big boys are back. Eventually I’m wanting to FT RV but we’ll see. I looked at the F150 but the payload wasn’t there. It was a little more than the dodge. The new SUVs are all looking the same now. Not like the older models. As for a diesel. I don’t run miles like I used to which is what they are meant to do. Also maintenance is high and I’m not pulling a a huge TT so gas is fine with me.

I was going to head to elephant butte with the trailer this weekend, already reserved my site and the winds kicked up pretty bad. Gusts over 40. So making a day trip tomorrow and at least spend some time in my site. LOL. Have to be flexible I guess. NM Winds ugh!!!
Do you have a national park pass. I bought a life time pass with senior discounts for only $80. I think park fee will only be $5, and nothing at disbursed locations. Lot of people going full time road warrior these days. Why not if you can, life is good no matter where you are. My daughter is thinking the same.
Have a nice trip, I like Elephant Butte and Caballo both.

PS weather looks good for week end, colder next week about 10*

Pwagonmike

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tatum, NM, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Presher
Member #

Yo Mike, we are here. I'm in the SW corner @ Silver City area. I don't know why the Map dosent show more of us but stick around on this thread and search the other forums and you will find a lot of w. texans, new mexicans in the OB. Welcome aboard and let us know all about your rig and what you want to do with it in travel and building.
Hey good deal. I have some good friends in Silver. Ok well the “Redneck” it’s a59 power wagon on a 96 doge chassis that has been shortened 3 1/2 feet. A 12 v Cummins under the hood. 5 speed nv 45000. 40 “ I rock tires. Air lockers front and rear. It’s a lot of fun. Hope to be able to spend some time in cloudcroft and maybe Colorado this next year.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hey good deal. I have some good friends in Silver. Ok well the “Redneck” it’s a59 power wagon on a 96 doge chassis that has been shortened 3 1/2 feet. A 12 v Cummins under the hood. 5 speed nv 45000. 40 “ I rock tires. Air lockers front and rear. It’s a lot of fun. Hope to be able to spend some time in cloudcroft and maybe Colorado this next year.
Sounds like an awesome rig. So "Redneck" is his name I assume. How fast can you drive it safely on the highway w/ the shortened wheel base. 3 1/2 feet is a lot. Like to see a picture of your rig. Dodge power wagons have always been one of my favorite trucks ever since WW2 ambulance versions.

Pwagonmike

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tatum, NM, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Presher
Member #

Sounds like an awesome rig. So "Redneck" is his name I assume. How fast can you drive it safely on the highway w/ the shortened wheel base. 3 1/2 feet is a lot. Like to see a picture of your rig. Dodge power wagons have always been one of my favorite trucks ever since WW2 ambulance versions.
K I’ll send some pics. It will do 80+ mph. Just don’t like to go that fast on 40’s

Attachments

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K I’ll send some pics. It will do 80+ mph. Just don’t like to go that fast on 40’s
I dont know why anyone would want any of the new stuff when they could be driving something as awesome as your Dodge power wagon. I have a dream truck (2) that I have been wanting for years but I'm running out of years to build them. I have an old 1967 international 3/4 ton for a build and didn't after my other International 4x4 parts truck was stolen and never recovered. Your rig falls into these catagories. See attachments for dream rigs.

Attachments