Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

ledges, mud, cliffs..... it's all part of the adventure.
My last Dual-Sport adventure on my KTM 500 cost me several stitches, which my riding buddy did for me on the trail, and dead nerves and lots of scar tissue on my left side. I've not been back on the bike since June 1st, the day of the incident. It took a full month before I was walking normal again, and I'm still suffering pain from that day.
The price of riding fast on a Dual-Sport bike.

Quest4ADV

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Corrales, NM
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Montero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JWS
ledges, mud, cliffs..... it's all part of the adventure.
My last Dual-Sport adventure on my KTM 500 cost me several stitches, which my riding buddy did for me on the trail, and dead nerves and lots of scar tissue on my left side. I've not been back on the bike since June 1st, the day of the incident. It took a full month before I was walking normal again, and I'm still suffering pain from that day.
The price of riding fast on a Dual-Sport bike.

Exactly why I sold my brand new Africa Twin six months after getting it. I knew it was just a matter of time and I'm too old for this falling down shit
:tongueout:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I plugged the GPS tracks for the route into Google Earth and check out the views. This is from the "Expert" route between El Rito and Abiquiu

The green route is the the road.

View attachment 119077
How many miles of this route is dirt road or trail from Antonio to Grants, if you know ?

Quest4ADV

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Corrales, NM
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Montero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JWS
Guys, if you're planning on making this NMBDR trip on 10/18 - 10/20, shoot me a PM with your phone, email, location, rig info, and what type of communications you have available so I can coordinate who all is coming and your locations.

I'll setup a meetup point and a communication plan and nail down some details.

Shoot out any questions you might have here in the forum.

Jeff

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Guys, if you're planning on making this NMBDR trip on 10/18 - 10/20, shoot me a PM with your phone, email, location, rig info, and what type of communications you have available so I can coordinate who all is coming and your locations.

I'll setup a meetup point and a communication plan and nail down some details.

Shoot out any questions you might have here in the forum.

Jeff
Jeff, this is one I will have to pass on. My health has me sitting when I should be working and I cant finish my rig in time. :rage: Great trip plan, maybe I'll be able to catch you on the lower end later on. You guys have a great trip and know that I'd love to be there with you.

Reactions: Quest4ADV

Quest4ADV

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Corrales, NM
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Montero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JWS
Jeff, this is one I will have to pass on. My health has me sitting when I should be working and I cant finish my rig in time. :rage: Great trip plan, maybe I'll be able to catch you on the lower end later on. You guys have a great trip and know that I'd love to be there with you.
Sorry you can't make it.

I'm looking at doing section 1 and maybe 2 on Thanksgiving weekend!

Phessor

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Daryl
Last Name
Madrid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DTM
Just an FYI,

A few of us from ABQ area are going to do sections 7 and 6 of the NMBDR on the weekend of 10/18-10/20 if anyone is interested in joining up.

Here's an overview of the plan:

320 miles of the NMBDR starting near Antonito CO and ending in Grants NM over the weekend of 10/18-10/20

See site for more info and maps. Also GPS track downloads. https://ridebdr.com/nmbdr/

We'll be doing sections 7 and 6 of the NMBDR, 4x4 high clearance vehicle required, or an dual sport bike if you prefer that mode of transportation.

As of right now, the plan is to head up to Antonito around noon on Friday, it's a three + hour drive, gas and stock up as needed. Hit the trail and find a place to camp. Saturday will be spent navigating the back roads of Northern NM, find an place to camp for the night, and get up and finish the trail on Sunday in Grants then head home.

You'll be expected to be prepared and self sustained and have your own maps and GPS tracks as needed for the trip. You can order a really nice printed map from the website above.

Having said all that, I'm really flexible and as we get closer, we can see if the timeline works out depending on weather and other occurrences. I have not driven any of the route North of Cuba so I'm not sure exactly what to expect, but I hear it's incredible!
I am very interested, I will have to check with my work.

Raderrods

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Cloudcroft, NM
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Weikel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VIN
If I can get back home to Cloudcroft from Austin in time I will try and make this trip.

Quest4ADV

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Corrales, NM
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Montero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JWS
For those that are following this NMBDR trip for next month, I'm also looking at doing the Southern section(s) over the Thanksgiving long weekend. (i.e. Friday - Sunday) I'm hoping the weather will be good enough as to not close some of the roads up near Cloudcroft.

If anyone has any information to share about the roads and weather in that area at the end of Nov, let me know please!

Also, for those wanting to join in that trip, comment here so I can start a list.

Thanks

Jeff