Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I’m gonna see about putting in vacation it looks like a pretty great trip an I’d be doing the same thing lol
If it works out for us both maybe we can meet up at Caballo and travel together. Never having traveled those roads, I'm not sure which rig I should use. According to google maps, it's a 6+ hour drive from Caballo plus any stops made along the way.

Reactions: Quest4ADV

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Cheer up, when we do the lower sections you'll be closer and we'll be farther away :)

I plan on doing the rest of it in stages over the Winter if weather permits or next Spring.
Ha haa your right. Do you know enough about the roads to say they are travel trailer worthy or not ? I've driven the lower sections on hwy 180 from silver city to Reserve and east to west from Socorro to Springville several times but not on any back roads. All beautiful country. Are any of the roads for your trip dirt roads ?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Cheer up, when we do the lower sections you'll be closer and we'll be farther away :)

I plan on doing the rest of it in stages over the Winter if weather permits or next Spring.
I want to travel as many places as possible in NM. I figure it should take about 5 years and then many will be missed.

Quest4ADV

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Corrales, NM
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Montero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JWS
Ha haa your right. Do you know enough about the roads to say they are travel trailer worthy or not ? I've driven the lower sections on hwy 180 from silver city to Reserve and east to west from Socorro to Springville several times but not on any back roads. All beautiful country. Are any of the roads for your trip dirt roads ?

I've ridden on my bike from Grants up past Cuba. If you have an off-road style trailer it would be fine, I"m not sure about a travel trailer. I got a report from someone that did the Antonito to Abiquiu he said it was very sandy and had some technical sections.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I've ridden on my bike from Grants up past Cuba. If you have an off-road style trailer it would be fine, I"m not sure about a travel trailer. I got a report from someone that did the Antonito to Abiquiu he said it was very sandy and had some technical sections.
Thank you Jeff, that is very useful. I didn't want to drag a trailer anyway!

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

My TJ is on jacks getting ready for a Woody...um, wait, that didn’t sound right...I’m installing a new Tom Woods CV rear driveshaft tonight to compliment the recent tummy tuck. Getting her ready for Canyonlands Maze District next month.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
My TJ is on jacks getting ready for a Woody...um, wait, that didn’t sound right...I’m installing a new Tom Woods CV rear driveshaft tonight to compliment the recent tummy tuck. Getting her ready for Canyonlands Maze District next month.
A few of us were wanting to get together for an introduction day at Aguirre springs @ white sands area, would you be interested ? A couple from Cloud croft, you, me and If you have buddies, and I was hoping a couple from E.P. , no specific date set yet but fairly soon Like the first week end in October maybe. See post #447 on page 23. Let me know

Reactions: Matt337 and Shamu

Shamu

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
John
Last Name
Markle
Member #

A few of us were wanting to get together for an introduction day at Aguirre springs @ white sands area, would you be interested ? A couple from Cloud croft, you, me and If you have buddies, and I was hoping a couple from E.P. , no specific date set yet but fairly soon Like the first week end in October maybe. See post #447 on page 23. Let me know
Weekend prior to my Canyonlands trip. Yes, interested.

Quest4ADV

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Corrales, NM
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Montero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JWS
I plugged the GPS tracks for the route into Google Earth and check out the views. This is from the "Expert" route between El Rito and Abiquiu

The green route is the the road.

1569433001940.png

Quest4ADV

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Corrales, NM
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Montero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JWS
Another NM member.
This trip, on 10/18....
What are the details of this trip?
I followed the link to the BDR page, which shows the full route...

I'm considering, but would need to gather a few things for this trip.

Hi Steve,

I'm planning the trip, it's very informal. It started out as an event on the Overland New Mexico Facebook group. There's only a few folks going. I'm trying to keep it fairly simple.

I personally, can't do the whole route in one shot, there's no way I could take that much vacation time from work at this moment, so I'm breaking it up into smaller, more manageable chunks. I wanted to start with the Northern most sections and get them out of the way and hopefully be able to do some of the Southern sections this winter.

The details can be found here:

I hope you can make it!

Jeff

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Thanks Jeff, appreciate the invite.

I'd have to procure some vacation on Friday, but this sounds like a very doable trip. I've not wheeled with other folks in my Silverado before, should be interesting.
Plan on counting me in.
I'll start getting my rig ready for this tip, getting a Ham radio installed, my recovery gear, lining up the satellites for optimum GPS coverage, etc.
I assume you all have CD or Ham radios? Any suggestions as to a good one?

Quest4ADV

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Corrales, NM
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Montero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JWS
Thanks Jeff, appreciate the invite.

I'd have to procure some vacation on Friday, but this sounds like a very doable trip. I've not wheeled with other folks in my Silverado before, should be interesting.
Plan on counting me in.
I'll start getting my rig ready for this tip, getting a Ham radio installed, my recovery gear, lining up the satellites for optimum GPS coverage, etc.
I assume you all have CD or Ham radios? Any suggestions as to a good one?

Awesome Steve!

I am in the process of getting a mobile Ham unit for my rig. I just sold my home base station last week(Icom 7300) after deciding I'll never use it here. I'm looking at the Yaesu FMT400XDR right now. I'll pull the trigger in the next week or so and get it installed for the trip.

Quest4ADV

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Corrales, NM
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Montero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JWS
Well @Wile_Coyote

It's all your fault, the wife is going to want to talk to you!!! :tongueout:
I just pulled the trigger on the FTM 400xdr.

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Well @Wile_Coyote

It's all your fault, the wife is going to want to talk to you!!! :tongueout:
I just pulled the trigger on the FTM 400xdr.
ye-a-h...., That's kinda out of my range. I'm assuming you guys use a CB when moving down the road. So finding something that can communicate in CB and HAM sandwich stuff, well, maybe I should just use smoke signals. I do have a Baofeng UV-5RE, but have yet to really use it.

Do you guys use CB to communicate truck to truck?

P.S., after nearly 28 years, the wife has grown accustomed to my wild ways.

Quest4ADV

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Corrales, NM
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Montero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JWS
ye-a-h...., That's kinda out of my range. I'm assuming you guys use a CB when moving down the road. So finding something that can communicate in CB and HAM sandwich stuff, well, maybe I should just use smoke signals. I do have a Baofeng UV-5RE, but have yet to really use it.

Do you guys use CB to communicate truck to truck?

P.S., after nearly 28 years, the wife has grown accustomed to my wild ways.

I don't have a CB, but have a couple of hand held FSR's they do a pretty decent job within a mile or so.

I also have a Garmin Inreach so I can text the wife and it has an SOS button with the SHTF.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I plugged the GPS tracks for the route into Google Earth and check out the views. This is from the "Expert" route between El Rito and Abiquiu

The green route is the the road.

View attachment 119077
LOL, you sure this is not a mule train trail ? This is pretty awesome view.! What does the "expert" mean ?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Another NM member.
This trip, on 10/18....
What are the details of this trip?
I followed the link to the BDR page, which shows the full route...

I'm considering, but would need to gather a few things for this trip.
You mean like a parachute ? LOL

Quest4ADV

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Corrales, NM
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Montero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JWS
LOL, you sure this is not a mule train trail ? This is pretty awesome view.! What does the "expert" mean ?

Technically, this route is for ADV type "Dual-Sport" bikes. So this is a more difficult section and there is a bypass. The notes on the website says it has ledges. We'll find out for sure when we get there :)