Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
The "Tres Amigos" trip. NMBDR Sections 7 and (part of 6)

View attachment 123032
Cant wait for your report about the trail. I thought there would be more rigs for this outing. Wish I could have been one. Hopefully the next leg of the trip I can make.

Quest4ADV

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Corrales, NM
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Montero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JWS
Cant wait for your report about the trail. I thought there would be more rigs for this outing. Wish I could have been one. Hopefully the next leg of the trip I can make.
I'm hoping that between the three of us we can post up something in the next few days. I hear a rumor there's some video :)

IMGP9939 (Medium).jpgIMGP9954 (Medium).jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ok, finally got the video processed and uploaded. Be sure to select HD veiw to get the best view from it.
Thank you for this. I missed a good trip with you guy's. Still not ready for the lower half of the trip but please keep ume (us) informed about the plans and the next trip in case I cant make it.

FFJOORD

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tierra Amarilla, NM
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Carrillo
Member #

Ok, finally got the video processed and uploaded. Be sure to select HD veiw to get the best view from it.
Sorry I missed the trip. Look for the Kiowa Lookout when you do that route again. It's worth the extra time. 36.587081 x -106.117781 will get you to the turnoff towards the lookout. IMG_1443.JPG

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I think it's going to take me some time to sift through all of the video footage. However, I was able to pull a few pics.

Unfortunately, Matt's Runner was way in the back.
Did you get to make the second leg of the trip ? If not, when. I'm still working on it if you go sometime later !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hey New Mexico,

I wish I had joined overland bound a couple years ago, as I was living in NM and miss the mountains. I now am in southern texas, if you guys ever down this way let me know. Hopefully, one day I can make it back to NM.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Boy you sure moved a long way off. You might as well be in Mexico down there. I'm not talking about the people but the place. Never been down there for some reason, probably because it is so far and I don't like humidity. Yeah, the mountains will draw you back. I spent several years in Odessa and though I like the town and people I always missed my El Paso mountains. Now living near Silver City for past 23 years and will die here one day. Happy Thanksgiving gobble gobble !

Reactions: Krazy Klimber

Krazy Klimber

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Navarre, Florida, United States
First Name
Alek
Last Name
Krallman
Member #

Boy you sure moved a long way off. You might as well be in Mexico down there. I'm not talking about the people but the place. Never been down there for some reason, probably because it is so far and I don't like humidity. Yeah, the mountains will draw you back. I spent several years in Odessa and though I like the town and people I always missed my El Paso mountains. Now living near Silver City for past 23 years and will die here one day. Happy Thanksgiving gobble gobble !
Thanks man! You too!

donkability

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Ohio
heading from springs to vegas Jan 8th gonna camp half way between pretty much just sleep, are there spots right off of 40 like near Milan, nm. gaia shows plenty of trails is there, any dispersed camping in or able to sleep in the truck, id rather drive off into the woods then sleep in a walmart lol. also how cold should i expect it in that area on avg. snowfall? wanting to sleep on way back same spot if possible unless a blizzard or something turns me further south, will be heading back to ohio so a detour to warmer weather wouldnt be so bad just take longer and eat more gas lol

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
heading from springs to vegas Jan 8th gonna camp half way between pretty much just sleep, are there spots right off of 40 like near Milan, nm. gaia shows plenty of trails is there, any dispersed camping in or able to sleep in the truck, id rather drive off into the woods then sleep in a walmart lol. also how cold should i expect it in that area on avg. snowfall? wanting to sleep on way back same spot if possible unless a blizzard or something turns me further south, will be heading back to ohio so a detour to warmer weather wouldnt be so bad just take longer and eat more gas lol
Keep checking in. I'm in the southern part of the state and not familiar with the central northward. I know from news event's that I-40
Shuts down a lot in the winter with blizzard type weather from Albuquerque westward.. Personally I would take the southern I-10 route if time is an element. I-40 is more interesting especially from Gallop westward. Good luck

Reactions: donkability

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Sorry I missed the trip. Look for the Kiowa Lookout when you do that route again. It's worth the extra time. 36.587081 x -106.117781 will get you to the turnoff towards the lookout. View attachment 125369
Oh that is so neat, I hope I get a chance to go with some group of overlanders the next time a trail ride is planned.

Reactions: FFJOORD and Shamu

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Albuquerque
My wife went through under grad and medical school at UNM. At the time we were both broke and all we had out there was an old Hyundai. I don’t think there was an unpaved road or trail we hadn’t taken by the time she graduated. My ‘overlanding’ has come along way from those days, but we both still miss the simple days of just getting in the car and heading out with only a little bit of money for gas and no destination in mind. Truly, NM is the land of enchantment. Have a drink and cigar for me on the roof of Imbibe for me - cheers!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Newbie. Checking in from Edgewood, NM
Welcome to the OB forums Vicki. Right off hand I don't know where Edgewood is but I'll look it up. Tell us about yourself and your rig. If you have a pic of your rig that would help a lot too. You can also use the Daily check in forum if you want to keep a check on what's going on there. Just go to the forums section below and click. It will give you a whole bunch of categories talked about in the forums. Merry Christmas :-)

Reactions: TravelerGAL