Need help choosing my first set of AT tires!

• HTML tutorial

VA6IKR

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Edmonton, Alberta
First Name
Ian
Last Name
R
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA6IKR
My rig is a 2004 Honda Pilot. I’m trying to decide what my first set of AT tires should be. I’m mostly oriented towards softroading as i tend to stick to the gravel trails in the rockies here, though i do wanna attempt some slightly more technical trails in the future. My commute is all highway, and ideally i wanna get something that’ll perform well in the deep freeze and heavy snow of central Alberta.

I’ve been looking at the Falken Wildpeak AT3W since they’re not too expensive and from what i’ve been reading they seem to perform well in snow and on highway. I’d probably get the P rated 245/75/16 XL since i feel the LT rated tire is too heavy for my needs. I was also looking at the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac in the same size but those i’d have to get in an LT size. Other options i’ve considered are the Michelin LTX AT2 and the Continental terraincontact A/T for a more highway oriented AT tire.

I’m very, super, extra lost in my search here to be honest. Anyone in central Alberta have any recommendations for good all around AT tires?

Reactions: Ghost

MysticZT4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Maybe so BFG Rugged Terrain T/A P245/70R16 106T

I run GY Duratracs personally and on my 2nd set, been through all conditions with no issues. But Duratracs are more on the aggressive side not really the perfect daily driving tire in my opinion.

Reactions: Downs

VA6IKR

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Edmonton, Alberta
First Name
Ian
Last Name
R
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA6IKR
Maybe so BFG Rugged Terrain T/A P245/70R16 106T

I run GY Duratracs personally and on my 2nd set, been through all conditions with no issues. But Duratracs are more on the aggressive side not really the perfect daily driving tire in my opinion.
I took a look at the BFG Rugged Terrain T/A and a lot of the reviews say they don’t perform very well in snow or when it’s cold.

How harsh are the Duratracs? I’ve been told by a couple of people before that those would be a good option for an all season all terrain tire. I’m still eyeing up the Wildpeaks even though they are more aggressive, i hear a lot of good things about them. Still gotta decide whether to get a P rated or LT rated tire too which is a whole other dilemma for me.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

VA61KR - I'm not familiar with some of the tires you mentioned or with Honda Pilots. I have Duratracs on 3 Jeeps that I run year round and they are a good all round on and off road tire. You'll like them in the snow and ice which I'm sure you get a lot of. I bought my last set at Canadian Tire which has them on sale fairly often.

MysticZT4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area, CA
Member #

The BFG Rugged was a stock tire that came on Taco's and heard it was a decent dd tire but for heavy snow not sure how they perform.

Honda Pilot tires size stock is P235/70R16 so your going one size up, will a bigger tire fit without rubbing? Probably under dd normal load not but with a larger load and angles you might.

This site might be a help picking a tire. 245/70R16 Tires

VA6IKR

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Edmonton, Alberta
First Name
Ian
Last Name
R
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA6IKR
The BFG Rugged was a stock tire that came on Taco's and heard it was a decent dd tire but for heavy snow not sure how they perform.

Honda Pilot tires size stock is P235/70R16 so your going one size up, will a bigger tire fit without rubbing? Probably under dd normal load not but with a larger load and angles you might.

This site might be a help picking a tire. 245/70R16 Tires
There’s a handful of other guys that overland/softroad pilots that I know of and they run 245/75/16 tires so i’m reasonably confident I can get away with it. I could stick to the stock size but it limits my options by a fair amount unfortunately.

MysticZT4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area, CA
Member #

The only real difference is the tire size is.5 of inch taller so I doubt you will not have much issues.

That site I use for all my tire searches, I don't buy through site just use the tools on site.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I have been very impressed with the Falken Wildpeak AT3W that cam on my Gladiator. I have not had them long enough to give a terminal review, but I can say they are quiet, have good road manners and crazy traction for an AT.

Very pleased so far

Msfitoy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greensboro NC
First Name
Sid
Last Name
C
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
working on it
My rig is a 2004 Honda Pilot. I’m trying to decide what my first set of AT tires should be. I’m mostly oriented towards softroading as i tend to stick to the gravel trails in the rockies here, though i do wanna attempt some slightly more technical trails in the future. My commute is all highway, and ideally i wanna get something that’ll perform well in the deep freeze and heavy snow of central Alberta.

I’ve been looking at the Falken Wildpeak AT3W since they’re not too expensive and from what i’ve been reading they seem to perform well in snow and on highway. I’d probably get the P rated 245/75/16 XL since i feel the LT rated tire is too heavy for my needs. I was also looking at the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac in the same size but those i’d have to get in an LT size. Other options i’ve considered are the Michelin LTX AT2 and the Continental terraincontact A/T for a more highway oriented AT tire.

I’m very, super, extra lost in my search here to be honest. Anyone in central Alberta have any recommendations for good all around AT tires?
I'm new to overlanding myself and I chose Falken Wildpeak AT3W for their performance and price. Great for someone like me who commute majority of the time on highway...

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

After 40 years of being a tire freak, I went back to my roots and bought some 7.50R16 Yokohamas for my TJR. Saved $200.00, they are rated for 100K kms, all the KOs, MTs, DTs I've had have been bald by 75K kms. So I just cut my tire costs in half.

Plus these are the smoothest riding tires I've ever had on a Wrangler..... I also saved 50#.
I cannot say for sure, but I think my gas mileage is better too.

DSC_0014.jpg

And they just look soo cool.

DSCN1542.jpg

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I can dig it, skinny tires are under appreciated.

I had a 1965 Dodge D100 with a 318 Polyspherical and deep 4 speed on 700-15 Goodyear Custom Extra Grip, despite being 2wd that truck would claw it's way through almost anything.

900-16 was offroad king for decades, I love the tall skinny tires.

VA6IKR

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Edmonton, Alberta
First Name
Ian
Last Name
R
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA6IKR
I have been very impressed with the Falken Wildpeak AT3W that cam on my Gladiator. I have not had them long enough to give a terminal review, but I can say they are quiet, have good road manners and crazy traction for an AT.

Very pleased so far
I feel like i keep pushing myself towards the Wildpeaks! Great off road traction, good on road handling, and a decent price too! Have you dealt with any snow with them yet? that’s my biggest worry is how they’ll handle in the snow.

Are you running the LT wildpeaks? I’m not sure if i should get the LT or the P rated wildpeaks if I were to get them.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

If snow is a priority, get a dedicated winter tire. The difference between them in snow and any of the "Four Seasons" is night and day. You will never go back to an AT for winter.

VA6IKR

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Edmonton, Alberta
First Name
Ian
Last Name
R
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA6IKR
for a Honda Pilot, get the P Metric
Do you think the weaker sidewall would be worth the risk on the trail? I’m leaning towards a P metric XL rated tire but everyone talks them up to being as strong as a balloon off road which i find hard to believe. But an LT tire is significantly more expensive and heavier and I feel I couldn’t justify that for my vehicle considering i’m never off road enough.

Sounds like I just talked myself into a P rated AT tire.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Most important consideration for handling and ride is unsprung weight. I doubt a Honda Pilot is ever going to follow a Rubicon..... but with a bit of care and good judgement.... it can go many places without damage.
LTs are for guys who are rough on the equipment.... and trucks.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I feel like i keep pushing myself towards the Wildpeaks! Great off road traction, good on road handling, and a decent price too! Have you dealt with any snow with them yet? that’s my biggest worry is how they’ll handle in the snow.

Are you running the LT wildpeaks? I’m not sure if i should get the LT or the P rated wildpeaks if I were to get them.
No, I have not used them in the snow. They are however "snow rated" and I can tell you based on siping and tread design I would expect them to be effective in the snow. They are LT rated (6pr) and are the first Falken branded tires I have owned. I did however sell and have owned Ohtsu (Falken parent company) brand tires in the past and found them to be very good quality and exceptional value.

I hesitate to give a glowing endorsement based on the relatively short period of time I have had them, but I don't see anything to make me not other than that short duration.

One point here, "P" (passenger) rated tires are goint to be at most 11-12/32" tread depth, "LT" (light truck) will be 14-17/32" tread depth depending on the individual model, size and manufacturer. Bear in mind with that comes additional weight which can/will have some effect on power, so there is a counterpoint to what otherwise would be an easy decision. I know absolutely nothing about a Pilot, so I can't offer any advise as to whether benefit outweighs detriment or vice versa.

Hope that helps

Reactions: VA6IKR

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

My 2 bits is already on another tire thread and a hundred other posts about new tires there too, You might check it out.