Need help choosing my first set of AT tires!

• HTML tutorial

VA6IKR

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Edmonton, Alberta
First Name
Ian
Last Name
R
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA6IKR
Reactions: Downs

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Just don't do what I just did. I raised my rig 2", then bought a tire 2" taller. Guess what ???
Yep 3" is the standard minimum lift for larger tires i went with 3" lift on my colorado because i went from 31" to 33" tires. Unfortunately 33" is the largest i can fit without some serious fender/body modification so anything over 3" lift would start looking funky also anything over 3" starts messing with the geometry of the suspension and things break.

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

Yep 3" is the standard minimum lift for larger tires i went with 3" lift on my colorado because i went from 31" to 33" tires. Unfortunately 33" is the largest i can fit without some serious fender/body modification so anything over 3" lift would start looking funky also anything over 3" starts messing with the geometry of the suspension and things break.
Lol. We see them. The 6' lift and stock tires. Lol (not knocking anything). Lol

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Lol. We see them. The 6' lift and stock tires. Lol (not knocking anything). Lol
Not as bothersome to me as the 12" lift with 22" wheels with low profile tires. I dont get it but someones got to buy it i guess. Or could be they just need something to run on the street and have tractor tires sitting around at home for offroad.

• Haha
Reactions: Captstout

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

Not as bothersome to me as the 12" lift with 22" wheels with low profile tires. I dont get it but someones got to buy it i guess. Or could be they just need something to run on the street and have tractor tires sitting around at home for offroad.

No kidding. If you air down the low profile murders lol

Hans Sommer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arroyo Grande CA
First Name
Hans
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

My rig is a 2004 Honda Pilot. I’m trying to decide what my first set of AT tires should be. I’m mostly oriented towards softroading as i tend to stick to the gravel trails in the rockies here, though i do wanna attempt some slightly more technical trails in the future. My commute is all highway, and ideally i wanna get something that’ll perform well in the deep freeze and heavy snow of central Alberta.

I’ve been looking at the Falken Wildpeak AT3W since they’re not too expensive and from what i’ve been reading they seem to perform well in snow and on highway. I’d probably get the P rated 245/75/16 XL since i feel the LT rated tire is too heavy for my needs. I was also looking at the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac in the same size but those i’d have to get in an LT size. Other options i’ve considered are the Michelin LTX AT2 and the Continental terraincontact A/T for a more highway oriented AT tire.

I’m very, super, extra lost in my search here to be honest. Anyone in central Alberta have any recommendations for good all around AT tires?

I've been super happy with my Falken Wildpeaks I got them in January, I'm on the west coast and havn't tried them in snow yet but they do great on the beach sand and they're quiet on the freeway. I had AT Muds on before that were noisy and cupping was a problem. Save $50 a tire and go with the Falkens. Falken Wildpeak on Truk.jpgFalken Wildpeak.jpg