Need help choosing my first set of AT tires!

• HTML tutorial

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I feel like i keep pushing myself towards the Wildpeaks! Great off road traction, good on road handling, and a decent price too! Have you dealt with any snow with them yet? that’s my biggest worry is how they’ll handle in the snow.
Are you running the LT wildpeaks? I’m not sure if i should get the LT or the P rated wildpeaks if I were to get them.
I also run the Wildpeaks in the 265/75/16 size, P rated. Haven't dealt with snow yet but am hopeful to get some snow this winter as I have seen great snow reviews for this tire and want to see for myself. Have just a hair over 5K miles on them currently with no issues, but it's still early. Unfortunately I don't have much to compare them to other than cheap Goodyear AT tires and some off name MTs.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I also run the Wildpeaks in the 265/75/16 size, P rated. Haven't dealt with snow yet but am hopeful to get some snow this winter as I have seen great snow reviews for this tire and want to see for myself. Have just a hair over 5K miles on them currently with no issues, but it's still early. Unfortunately I don't have much to compare them to other than cheap Goodyear AT tires and some off name MTs.
I just bought 5 of those "cheap" GY A/T tires. They weren't very cheap in price and in fact I think they are more expensive than the Wildpeak equal. (is MT an Equal)
I'm going to go find that snow this winter in Colorado or Northern NM to see how well my Wrangler Ultraterrain AT tires will perform @ $184 bucks a copy, compared to Falcon Wildpeaks MT @ $148 each. (good buy BTW) . My tires are supposed to be a superior snow tire so we will see, not that I have that much snow to worry about. How much snow is the question and how good a driver are you in the snow is a huge factor. I'm not going to ever buy MT tires of any brand because I hate road noise and vibration on Paved highways. I hope the only severe mud I will see is normal trail mud and ponds to cross. I don't plan to do any mud bogging for sure.

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

My rig is a 2004 Honda Pilot. I’m trying to decide what my first set of AT tires should be. I’m mostly oriented towards softroading as i tend to stick to the gravel trails in the rockies here, though i do wanna attempt some slightly more technical trails in the future. My commute is all highway, and ideally i wanna get something that’ll perform well in the deep freeze and heavy snow of central Alberta.

I’ve been looking at the Falken Wildpeak AT3W since they’re not too expensive and from what i’ve been reading they seem to perform well in snow and on highway. I’d probably get the P rated 245/75/16 XL since i feel the LT rated tire is too heavy for my needs. I was also looking at the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac in the same size but those i’d have to get in an LT size. Other options i’ve considered are the Michelin LTX AT2 and the Continental terraincontact A/T for a more highway oriented AT tire.

I’m very, super, extra lost in my search here to be honest. Anyone in central Alberta have any recommendations for good all around AT tires?
Hi. I have an 05 pilot. I run cooper AT3s on it and have done for years. They get me anywhere I want to go and ride good on the freeway. They do produce a little road noise, but that is the trade off for the more aggressive tire.

I love the crap out of them. They last forever. Or, at least do for me here in central Utah.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
@Lanlubber... no no.. by cheap I mean <$90 a tire Goodyear Wrangler Radial. :tearsofjoy:
Jon, I kinda thought that was the case and I wasn't taking offense in any way I want you to know. I just wanted to let other viewers (particularly newbies to the game) know that not all GY A/T tires are cheap (meaning quality not price). I'm a little surprised that there are any cheap (cost wise) GY a/t tires on the market at all. I tried to buy the Patagonia A/T tires or the Wildpeak tires before I had to settle for the GY tires I bought. The dealer didn't have 5 of either tire on his rack and said it would take weeks to get any. Let me know if you are satisfied with yours after the snow falls and I will let you know about mine. :- )

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
after putting a leveling kit on my Tundra, I went with Toyo AT2 tires. I forgot the size, but they are right at 34" and ride great. i got my kit put in by an offroad shop and they spoke highly of Toyo and so far I really like them as well as I do the BFGs I had.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Hi. I have an 05 pilot. I run cooper AT3s on it and have done for years. They get me anywhere I want to go and ride good on the freeway. They do produce a little road noise, but that is the trade off for the more aggressive tire.

I love the crap out of them. They last forever. Or, at least do for me here in central Utah.
Sidewalls are a little whimpy on the AT/3s but tread lasted me well over 55,000 miles. Now I have STT Pros which are beasts. I will probably go to the STT Max next. Plenty of good options out there.

Reactions: Captstout

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

for a Honda Pilot, get the P Metric
Sidewalls are a little whimpy on the AT/3s but tread lasted me well over 55,000 miles. Now I have STT Pros which are beasts. I will probably go to the STT Max next. Plenty of good options out there.
I have not had any issues with the sidewalls. But, I will look at the STT max on my next set

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
after putting a leveling kit on my Tundra, I went with Toyo AT2 tires. I forgot the size, but they are right at 34" and ride great. i got my kit put in by an offroad shop and they spoke highly of Toyo and so far I really like them as well as I do the BFGs I had.
I got my 2" lift put on, I got my tires that are 2" taller (265/75R/16's) than the ones I have on presently. The tires fit but there are some rubbing issues with the front fender well opening that I will have to resolve with the valance. I either need to cut off about 6" or remove the whole front bumper-valance and wait for my new bumper to be built. I knew I would have to do a little wheel well altering because I didn't want to raise the vehicle more than 2". The Luck8 people said I wouldn't have to change shocks for only 2" lift, I think they were wrong and I should just go ahead and buy the longer shocks from Terafirma-whatever. The reason I think that, is because the shop had a hard time re assembling the sway bar and connecting the shocks without jacking up the rear end to get everything reconnected. I think I want more articulation than that. But it's coming along step by step and dollar by dollar.

VA6IKR

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Edmonton, Alberta
First Name
Ian
Last Name
R
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA6IKR

What size of tire are you running? I’m looking at running 245/75/16 wildpeaks but i’m concerned they’ll rub. I could retain stock tire size but going up a size costs the same so i’m hoping to do that.

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

What size of tire are you running? I’m looking at running 245/75/16 wildpeaks but i’m concerned they’ll rub. I could retain stock tire size but going up a size costs the same so I’m hoping to do that.
I have always run 235-70-16. I have thought about going up a size. But never really thought it would make a difference it would only maybe give you a half-inch if that. If my years working in a tire shop are still accurate. Lol

VA6IKR

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Edmonton, Alberta
First Name
Ian
Last Name
R
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA6IKR
I have always run 235-70-16. I have thought about going up a size. But never really thought it would make a difference it would only maybe give you a half-inch if that. If my years working in a tire shop are still accurate. Lol
According to tiresize.com its 29” vs 30.5” so not a huge difference but still enough to make me wonder if they’ll fit nicely. I know a couple of people who run 245/75/16 on their pilots but they haven’t said anything about rubbing or anything.

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

According to tiresize.com its 29” vs 30.5” so not a huge difference but still enough to make me wonder if they’ll fit nicely. I know a couple of people who run 245/75/16 on their pilots but they haven’t said anything about rubbing or anything.
I have seen the same. I have not tried to push it. Never had an issue with the stock size.

VA6IKR

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Edmonton, Alberta
First Name
Ian
Last Name
R
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA6IKR
I have seen the same. I have not tried to push it. Never had an issue with the stock size.
I wonder if it’s worth the risk of upsizing for a larger sidewall? especially if i don’t need to lift it yet for it to fit. Time to do some more research haha!

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

I wonder if it’s worth the risk of upsizing for a larger sidewall? especially if i don’t need to lift it yet for it to fit. Time to do some more research haha!
lol. Google is a beautiful thing.

Let me know what you find out. I will be replacing tires soon (unless I trade-in for something else).

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Let me know what you find out. I will be replacing tires soon (unless I trade-in for something else).
Just don't do what I just did. I raised my rig 2", then bought a tire 2" taller. Guess what ???

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Lol. Didn't fit. Lol
Front fender skirting needs trimming. Actually I was going to remove the front skirted bumper anyway. I'm having one fabricated as we speak. The tire is good except for when the tire is turning and it hits a bump, it comes up to contact the bottom front edge of the skirt. If I had bought a narrower tire I think it would clear. I went from a 70's series to a 75 series and thought I was getting a narrower tire. As it turns out it is wider than my 70 series because of it being a 265 size. What would have been the better size for stock wheel opening would be something like 255/75R/16 or a 245/75R/16. More lift would have helped the wheel opening but I didn't need more lift.
The wheel base is only 100", so 3" of lift is plenty for that wheelbase length over stock.
As they say " live and learn". Lick my wound and move on to the bumper install.

VA6IKR

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Edmonton, Alberta
First Name
Ian
Last Name
R
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA6IKR

Google really is beautiful. Seems like others run 245/75/16 on their pilots with no rubbing. I’ll post an update once i get the tires mounted!