Contributor III

San Francisco, Ca 94110
First Name
Edgar
Last Name
Molina
Member #

Thank You Gravel Travel Canada!

I don't do much rock crawling either but definitely a lot of gravel, dirt roads and extended range trips.
Does Icon sale the bearings? Are they pretty good on Customer Service?

Again thank you for the info, really helps.

DocNOS

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Tulsa, OK
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Son
Member #

Service Branch
USN
Sweet Canyon love the setup. I've been looking at the Colorado Z71 Midnight edition but may hold off for the ZR2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
I was also looking at the ZR2, but I found that you lose 2700lbs of tow capacity.

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

I was also looking at the ZR2, but I found that you lose 2700lbs of tow capacity.

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app
So 5k vs 7.7k id give up the extra towing capacity for the more off-road capability. Besides for me anyways the burb can handle towing duties better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using OB Talk mobile app

Baby Jeep Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ottawa
Member #

Started as this...

Now looks like this...

I'll fill in the two years worth of modifications in future posts. Its a 2015 GMC Canyon. I have had it for two years now, 73, 000 km's. This is my first post on Overland Bound...seems like a great site and community, stoked to join all of you.

Cheers
Ted
This is a great community Ted. Glad to see you are a part if it. It has been verry helpful to in getting my little Jeep ready for overlanding and in gearing me up. Very similar philosophy to your group. Can't wait for June!!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using OB Talk mobile app

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
Ted:
Clifford here. I have a 2015 Canyon Crew, SB, 4x4 and am considering lifting it. How much does your Icon setup lift the truck, and what has been your experience with it? What wheels and tires are you running?
Thanks for ant help you can provide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using OB Talk mobile app

Gravel Travel Canada

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Thank You Gravel Travel Canada!

I don't do much rock crawling either but definitely a lot of gravel, dirt roads and extended range trips.
Does Icon sale the bearings? Are they pretty good on Customer Service?

Again thank you for the info, really helps.
I buy Icon stuff from Dan at Wheeler's Offroad. Great customer service. I don't believe Icon sells direct to customers. I have emailed them a few times and got quick responses. Due to the weight of the front bumper and winch my front end sagged...the customer service at Icon was top notch.

Sent from my STH100-1 using OB Talk mobile app

Gravel Travel Canada

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Ted:
Clifford here. I have a 2015 Canyon Crew, SB, 4x4 and am considering lifting it. How much does your Icon setup lift the truck, and what has been your experience with it? What wheels and tires are you running?
Thanks for ant help you can provide.

Hi Clifford. The Icon lifted the front 3 inches. I stuck an extra leaf in the back to keep it level (2 inch in the front is level). I then added a 1.25 inch body lift from Rough Country. My experience with the Icon is very positive.

The wheels are Fuel Anza, 6 mm difference in offset. The tires are 32.5x11 Duratracs (amazing all around tire and light).

I have 1.5 inch Bora wheel spacers.

I used to have a RC two inch level kit, the RC body lift, 1 inch spacers and 32.1x10 tires.

Hope that helps. The wheel well shape limit tire size. 33's are doable but you need a 4-5? Inch lift I believe. I see a few guys are squeezing 35's but extensive work is being done to accommodate that size.

Reactions: d-tail_wagon

Gravel Travel Canada

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Some high res my fabricator took after completing the rear bumper. Re enforces my desire for a good camera

The truck will likely never be that clean again, lol.

Had a comedy of errors out snow wheeling the other night. Winch, tow straps, recovery boards, pushing and pulling, etc. If it could have went wrong, it did. Can't wait for winter to end

Reactions: WestSlope TaCO

Canyon_Cliff

Rank VI

Influencer I

Victorville, California
First Name
Clifford
Last Name
Bennett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YHU
GMC
Thanks for the info and photos. Your fabricator did a fantastic job. Hats off to him; love those bumpers.
I think a 4 inch lift may be the way to go for me. What do you think of the Rough Country products?
Surprised to see you are using spacers with your new wheels. But, then again, I have been looking for wheels that have a backspace under 5inches, and with a 6x120mm bolt pattern, and they are rare.
Thanks again. Wishing you an early spring.
Cliff

Gravel Travel Canada

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Okay, here comes a two year build compressed into a few posts...

Started with a 2 inch RC level kit and removed the air dam from under the front bumper.

Some easy trails with this setup. For the money spent this was a worthwhile addition to the truck. The RC level kit is two spacers compared to most companies one spacer. Having to remove the springs on the coil overs was a chore but having the shock and spring compressed gives a better ride than just compressing the spring.

Next up was a tune to engine and tranny. Trifecta tune. Best investment to date on the truck. It provides an eco mode, which is activated by the cruise control button on the steering wheel. For highway driving it saves a bunch of gas. In sport mode the truck really woke up and shifted much smoother.

Installed a Borla muffler. Added a nice tone, not too loud and no drone.

Put some 32x10 inch Duratracs on it

Added some one inch hibcentric spacers. Had to grind off the nub on the bolts.

Gave the truck a nice stance

Installed a k and n cai. Ran it for two days then took it off and sold it. WAY too loud

Reactions: 15Canyon

Gravel Travel Canada

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Enjoyed the truck for a while with this setup.

Installed a Yakima bedrock system with a tray. Worked well, no complaints.

Bought some new suspension from Icon

Added a rtt

Just out enjoying life

Installed a RC 1.25 inch body lift. No complaints, still on the truck. Good bang for buck to get some tire clearance.

Put a RC 30 inch light bar into the grill

Had some slider made by a local guy